• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Playing beat-up vinyls

Waspinators

Member
Exactly how harmful is it to the actual TT/cart/stylus to play very worn records (with plenty of crackles and scratches/pops)? I have some extremely noisy vinyls as I usually only buy used, but I'm becoming scared of playing them for fear that they'll be the death of my turntable.

Also, an unrelated question, if a turntable is semi-automatic (arm raises and lowers by a button) is there any danger in just lowering the arm while holding it by the headshell and manually placing the needle on the record, rather than switching it down as its over the record?
 
Register to hide this ad
Arghhhhhh!

They are not called "vinyls". It's "vinyl" and "vinyl" works for both singular and plural!

:whip:
 
Exactly how harmful is it to the actual TT/cart/stylus to play very worn records (with plenty of crackles and scratches/pops)? I have some extremely noisy vinyls as I usually only buy used, but I'm becoming scared of playing them for fear that they'll be the death of my turntable.

I wonder this myself. My theory is that dirt is very bad for the stylus, as it causes abrasive wear. Scratches and other defects in the vinyl itself (not hard particles of dirt embedded in the vinyl) I think would be much less harmful.
 
Hey, it's a new generation and they are making it up as they go - I got lots of vinyls in my pile :)

All kidding aside, the difference in hardness bewteen vinyl and diamond pretty much precludes damage between plastic and needle. Abrasive dirt is another matter. Clean older records should not be a problem :)
 
My vinyls are scratchy, too. I say "vinyls", too, so don't feel bad.

If thats how you refer to them, then I'm not surprised they're scratched! :D

I'm just kidding, call them whatever you like. My rule of thumb is, if they're scratched to the point that they're unpleasant to listen to then it's probably not good for your stylus. :no: However it depends also to some degree on the type of cart and the profile of your stlyus too. I'd be far less worried if I were using a MM conical profile than say an MC eliptical.
 
Last edited:
G'day all, err, I must be getting old, because I call them 'records' and I'm about to play a 'record' now! Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Hey, it's a new generation and they are making it up as they go - I got lots of vinyls in my pile :)

All kidding aside, the difference in hardness bewteen vinyl and diamond pretty much precludes damage between plastic and needle. Abrasive dirt is another matter. Clean older records should not be a problem :)

My vinyls are scratchy, too. I say "vinyls", too, so don't feel bad.

Let's see... you guys have piles and itchy vinyls... for goodness' sake, just scratch the darned things and shut up about it - that's way too much information! :D


Getting back to the OP's question... CLEAN records that have no static charge shouldn't sound bad, unless they are also physically scratched. To get the most out of playing those beat-up old records, do this:

1. Clean, clean and CLEAN them. Read up on the old threads about things like glue peeling, steaming (perhaps...be careful!), GEM cleaners, and above all, vacuum-type RCMs (record cleaning machines, like the VPIs).

2. Zap 'em with a Zerostat gun, or equivalent, to remove static charge. (Less necessary in humid climates than in dry ones; also try using anti-static inner sleeves, and consider adding a ground connection to your TT's platter where it will drain charge from the records).

3. Try different styli, to find one that will ride in a less-worn and less-damaged part of the groove. Make sure to try a line-contact stylus among the mix.

4. Don't use your best styli (or ones that you care a lot about) on your more damaged records; scratches can definitely take their toll on the stylus, because of the impact forces involved, If you accumulate a lot of "beater" records, consider setting up a "first-play" or "test" TT and cart, just to screen out which records have too much noise, before you play them on your best gear. Use a cart that you know tracks very well (doesn't skip), but which you don't care too much about. Make sure it is set up properly, then use it for its purpose and don't worry about it. Check the stylus occasionally, to make sure that you aren't playing records with a damaged stylus, which can cause groove damage.

5. If you have records you really like, but which have too much noise, consider converting them into a digital recording, and electronically "cleaning them up". You'll lose some of the sound quality, but overall may end up with a more listen-able recording.

6. Enjoy the music! :music:
 
I'm with Felix on this one, I call them ''records'' ... in fact, now that I think about it, I often call CDs 'albums'.

I'm also with Arkay, I clean, clean, clean very dirty records -- it does make a difference. And, I have a few cartridges saving the best ones for my better records while playing the beat up records with lesser cartridges (see, I don't write 'vinyl' or 'vinyls').
 
Last edited:
This is a very funny thread!

If the vinyl (record in Felix's or Rene's or my case) is clean, the stylus cares not one whit whether it is worn or not. Cruddy vinyl will not wear a diamond out any quicker than brandly new stuff. Old vinyl that has been through the mill is not any harder than a record just removed from its sleeve. Dirt, of course, is another matter.

Hehe, polycarbonates! Hilarious!

"My polycarbonates are all in nice neat rows in my sagging CD shelves!"

And yeah, if you are careful lowering the stylus onto the record, it will do no harm at all.

Doug
 
Last edited:
Me thinks the OP is a bit of an audio masochist. Saying "vinyls" smacks of emo too. If i want to tame a fairly noisy lp, i'll swap in my cheapo STANTON 500.V3 cart. Usually quiets background noise down quite a bit, but you do forsake some detail. Best of luck! Listening to noisy vinyl really is poor way to spend one's spare time though.
 
Back
Top Bottom