• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Please dont kick me off AK for this

brainsmasher

Mid-Fi Madman
My crime is that I went out looking for and succeded in finding a pair of MCS speakers.
As some may know I have been looking for the honeycomb tweeters for my technics SB6 speakers for quite some time. After a whole lot of research I found that the higher end MCS stuff was made by technics. Yesterday while out hunting I stumbled onto a pair of MCS 8290's at a pawn shop, had the guy fire them up and $22 later I was now and owner of these speakers ( they are actually quite nice speakers in their own right). Got them home did the swap out and low and behold they were technics honeycomb tweeters, pefrect size and even have the guide pin on the back mounting plate. Now I have the subject of much obsession fixed and complete. pictures and a write up will follow but right now they are not set up properly and are dirty as sin.
Ok just one.
 
Register to hide this ad
MCS Speakers

Had a pair of MCS 10" 3-ways for about 12 or 13 years until just months ago.
One of the better things about speakers is they don't call the cops on you for stalkin' 'em... :naughty:
 
Good deal Brian !!!
Don't ya just love it when you finally find the missing link !!! :thmbsp:
 
Congrats Brian! As I recall your Technics cabinets are gorgeous. Good for you. :banana:

cubdog
 
OK, I've read this like 5 times and I just don't get the "don't kick me off AK" part. BTW, brainsmasher, how 'bout your counter-weight thing? Have you come up with something? - Mark
 
from sales brochure:

Honeycomb disc linear phase 3 way speaker

Features:
12" honeycomb disc woofer with 20oz magnet
3,1/8" Hoenycomb disc midrange with 5.3oz magnet
1,1/8" Honeycomb disc tweeter with 3.2oz magnet
Thermally protected
Bass reflex port
Tweeter and Midrange controls
100 watt RMS ratting
8 ohm
crossover: 1KHz-4KHz
Weight 72 lbs
 
The cabs do need some TLC as they have a good amount of paint on them and a couple nicks and bumps. Soundwise they are pretty nice despite how and where they are. Very clean and defined but a bit on the ringing side, I have that traced to another component up the chain. I will still be on the lookout for the "correct" tweeters that say technics on the front not just the back. It is very nice to see something that has been bugging me for so long come to fruition with pleasing results.
 
There is currently a pair of MCS 8320 linear phase speakers at a thrift for 30 or 40 bucks. I passed them up twice because I am trying to get rid of all of my stuff in the garage and am trying to practice self control in buying audio gear. Anyone familiar with that model? Theses are the 3 way versions of that series.
 
hi fellow AK'ers.. so now that i plucked a pair of MCS 8320's from the bins, yeah!.. today, Sunday, i too would like to know something about the MCS 3 way Linear phase (anyone explain this?) speaker system model 8320.
mine are in great shape..slight chips and a ding in the case..otherwise..very nice...
they look like Technics stuff to me....
 
What do the honeycomb tweeters sound like as opposed to a dome tweeter?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I briefly had a pair of MCS a while back... not bad, I set up a friend who didin't have a styereo with them and an HK 330c as a "starter kit". :music:

I don't recall the model #, probably MOTL. 3-way Floorstanders.
 
The MCS 8320 speakers are a nice complement to my collection. Mine are paired with a Sansui 2000x and share alternate or AB combo duty with my CS 99a's. These speakers offer a very rich sonic clarity and smoothness. On the down side they are not exciting to listen which is good on those days where smooth music (elevator music) is what the Dr. orders. One receiver that also matched well was the Yamaha 2040.
 
To revive this old thread, I too have a pair of 8320's. I inherited them, I believe they are from around 1985-1987 or so. I have been thinking of replacing them with something better, but then again, would it be worth it? They are in mint shape. My only gripe is the tweeters are WAY too strong. There is a tweeter attenuator dial on the front and I run them at -5 (-6 is the lowest). Set them to anywhere more than -4 (they go up to +6) and you might as well be trying to break glass. So, given I run them at -5 they sound pretty good. Nice tight bass, but the overall sound they put out can get muddy at times.

Anyone have any recommendations for "tuning up" these speakers?

Opinions on their quality? Are they really Technics units and if so which ones?
 
To revive this old thread, I too have a pair of 8320's. I inherited them, I believe they are from around 1985-1987 or so. I have been thinking of replacing them with something better, but then again, would it be worth it? They are in mint shape. My only gripe is the tweeters are WAY too strong. There is a tweeter attenuator dial on the front and I run them at -5 (-6 is the lowest). Set them to anywhere more than -4 (they go up to +6) and you might as well be trying to break glass. So, given I run them at -5 they sound pretty good. Nice tight bass, but the overall sound they put out can get muddy at times.

Anyone have any recommendations for "tuning up" these speakers?

Opinions on their quality? Are they really Technics units and if so which ones?

They shouldn't be that bright, are they wired in phase? If they were wired out of phase they would have no bass.
 
I had a pair that I think were a different model. I've posted about them before and went digging for the thread, but a search in the Speakers forum for MCS turned up nothing - "no matches". I kinda liked them, for the record. But, whatever...

I get the feeling that you're not crazy about yours, so I would suggest saving your pennies for something better. Nothing you can do in the way of a "tune up" is going to turn them into gems.
 
I had a pair that I think were a different model. I've posted about them before and went digging for the thread, but a search in the Speakers forum for MCS turned up nothing - "no matches". I kinda liked them, for the record. But, whatever...

I get the feeling that you're not crazy about yours, so I would suggest saving your pennies for something better. Nothing you can do in the way of a "tune up" is going to turn them into gems.

Thanks Mark.

I guess I "kinda like them" too, but I just wonder how much better I could do and for how much more $. They are definately not "bad" speakers by any means. I think Id need to compare them as A/B before making any real judgement on em.
 
I guess I "kinda like them" too, but I just wonder how much better I could do and for how much more $.
What's your budget? How much work are you willing to put into them? You can have a great pair of speakers for very little money.

They are definately not "bad" speakers by any means. I think Id need to compare them as A/B before making any real judgement on em.
You should try to hook with some AKers in your area and listen to some different speakers to get a feel for what you like.
 
I recently picked up a pair of MCS speakers myself. I need to pick up some dust covers for the midrange drivers but otherwise they are in great condition and don't sound too bad either.:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • MCS Speaker.jpg
    MCS Speaker.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 278
Back
Top Bottom