• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polarized Electrolytic Caps in ADS L710 XO

There are web descriptions of the curved and straight caps as being nonpolar. Not saying it is always nonpolar and I knew it as polar but if it was taught as nonpolar to Gary, he may have meant it to mean nonpolar. Or maybe Gary didn’t see the difference if he was looking into these products as some caps are film caps and others are ’lytics.
Just saying we do not know the meaning of the symbol but we know to use nonpolar caps in speaker crossovers.
:thumbsup:
 
I am replacing C1, the 100uF axial, in each of my L710's and assumed they'd be non-polarized, but they are in fact marked + and - and the schematic shows polarized as well. I ordered like for like from Mouser, but found it odd. Also the crossover schematic shows only 4 caps, and notes them all as polarized whereas I have 5 caps, 4 of them film caps which are of course non-polarized. My L710's are a 4-digit serial number of the first series, circa 1975. Not a "problem" per se, just wondered what gives :)
How are the results?
 
just wondered what gives
I don’t think this got answered.

Even non-polar caps are asymmetrical, and in some applications this matters. As a result some non-polar caps are marked physically and on the schematic in a way that indicates which side (of the foil inner/outer) is which.

I think Gary may have known this, way back in ‘82, or at least been trained to draw this way.
 
Possibly, but I've had bad luck with the two I already bought on eBay for this purpose. DMM resistance will show good but output can be wildly low compared to the existing good tweeter, etc. I think I'm going to try to send my bad one in for repair. Thanks for checking though!
Just out of curiosity, where are you sending those drivers?

Thanks and good luck! :thumbsup:
 
I spoke to Richard So who has agreed to repair this one. He's backlogged and not spending as much time on them anymore, but give him a call if you have the need and aren't in a hurry.

 
Seems untouched or not, they should be NP caps. You can make an NP cap from two polarized caps by connecting them in series, - to -. Two 100 uF caps connected that way gives 50 uF NP.

As for standard cap symbols, that's a hand drawn schematic. I wouldn't count on whoever drew it strictly adhering to standards.
Connect the negative terminals of the two caps together when doing that.
 
Back
Top Bottom