• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Political Correctness

Agellius

Active Member
I got a message recently from a guy saying, "We're all brothers in the vintage hi-fi world", and that got me thinking: Has anyone noticed how this is sort of one of the last male-only clubs? (Or are there actually women involved in this forum?)

The political correctness police try to make men and women the same: For example by law, they force universities to support women's sports with the same budget as men's; they teach boys how to sew in school, etc. But vintage stereo is another one of those cases where men just dig something, and women just aren't into it, and there's nothing you can do about it.
 
Register to hide this ad
My GF is into it....not to the degree as I am, but still into it, especially the reel to reel side...

I know that my mother does not care for equipment.

I also know a girl at school that helps her father build toob amps....

It is still a mostly male thing.....

and BTW. sewing in school FAILS big time! :yes:
 
I don't think women are as obsessive about it (in general) than men are. I buy gear based on it's oddness, appearance, sound, woulda-coulda-shoulda when it was new, sound, sound, all that.

I'd love to be able to hear what (or how) a woman hears sometime.
 
The political correctness police try to make men and women the same: For example by law, they force universities to support women's sports with the same budget as men's;

Actually, that's about as sexist as it gets. If they are equal; they all play together. Period. Doesn't get any simpler than that.
 
Men and women are different with different thought processes. Guys traditionally are interested in stereos, tools, cars and sports, while women have more interest in clothing, home decor, food and other more "refined" persuits. Does this apply to all of them? Of course not! Look at Chef Emerol (did I spell that right?) and Danica Patrick. But generally, that's the way it's always been and so what, nothing bad about it. I like girlie women! The stereos and other gizmos seem to interest men more and maybe it's just genetic? :D If I can get my girl interested in my hobbies, it makes it just that much better!
 
I'm more concerned if they have HPMs or KEFs, more interested in if they have tubes or solid state, if they prefer direct drive or belt, than I am if they have a whangadoodle or inajagimie in their pants.

I've never considered this a boys club.

Membership is primarily male here by gross generalization of nature of interest, but I'm sure not wearing any Flintstones grand puba hat, ain't hanging any little rascals he-man woman haters signs up.



You like hi-fi? Like music? 'Nuff said. Door's wide open.
 
I got a message recently from a guy saying, "We're all brothers in the vintage hi-fi world", and that got me thinking: Has anyone noticed how this is sort of one of the last male-only clubs? (Or are there actually women involved in this forum?)

The political correctness police try to make men and women the same: For example by law, they force universities to support women's sports with the same budget as men's; they teach boys how to sew in school, etc. But vintage stereo is another one of those cases where men just dig something, and women just aren't into it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

My wife has a system based around a vintage receiver I don't.
 
To be honest, there are more and more women joining us here than you think, and I for one happen to think that is fantastic. :music:
Oh, my wife's main system is a Pioneer SX-828, a Pioneer PD-65 CDP, with a pair of design acoustics PS-10s. When she goes down in the basement to work out, she fires up a Pioneer SX-D5000, a Sony multi-disc CDP, and a pair of 4 ohm JBL 830s. My daughter on the other hand, has a Pioneer SA-7500II/TX-5500II combo, with a DVD/CDP, and a pair of Celestion One speakers in her frat house.




Retro
 
Last edited:
What does this have to do with Vintage Stereo? Or at least why is it in the Vintage Stereo forum.

I would think "Off Topic" would be a LOT better fit.
 
Well Mark, the OP does use the phrase "vintage hi-fi world", so I think it's okay here, especially if it doesn't turn into a "testosterone pissing" contest. I'll be keeping my eye on it. :yes:




Retro
 
The title of the thread is Political Correctness.

I took it as a rant on political correctness in general since he mentions how the political correctness police try to make men and women equal as his premise.

But if this is a survey of women on the forum and trying to understand what makes men more interested in vintage stereo and women not ---- and not because men are victims or why they teach boys how to sew or how they force universities to accommodate women, or invasion of women in the last bastion of male only clubs, cool.

But if he thinks this is a male dominated forum, then maybe it would be good to seek out a woman's view to get both sides.
 
So...the main point I'm getting from all this is maybe this site isn't my best option for online dating? :scratch2:
 
In reality, you would probably find that it is also a minority of men (when considered on the whole) who look at audio gear the way that many of us here do. Not all who are serious about this hobby would consider joining and posting on a forum such as this either. That's another factor to consider.
What we have on here is a group of individuals who each focus on different aspects of audio and equipment. Generally, it goes well beyond being a casual interest. It's something that is made up of very specific ideas and motives that are sustained over long periods of time. Whoever it is that falls under that category and who feels the need to share some part of that story might show up on here. It just so happens that the overwhelming majority are men. On the other hand, we shouldn't generalize about these things too much, nor do we want to call attention to it too often. An important part of the open door policy is that we should all try to keep an open mind.
 
There are some excellent women members here that contribute on topics of vintage gear, music and offer suggestions to fix and upgrade our systems.

True, most of the members here are men and there are many posts where we laugh at how our wives are not always so crazy about this hobby.

We have also discussed ways to encourage more women to join, stay and participate as regular contributing members.

It's not a men's only club, and if it was, I'd be out of here.

Cheers, Snade
 
Back
Top Bottom