• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Polk Monitor 10 or HPM-60

It seems to me that there might just be a SLIGHT leaning towards the Polks. Could be my imagination. Gonna try and get over and demo the Model 10s and the Dynaco A35s over my long weekend. Even if I don't pick any of them up (NO!), at least I'll have a feel for how each of them sound.
 
Now as one who owned both the 10's and 60's. The Pioneer 60's were to my ears a very nice trade off between size and sound. Alas they went down the road while the Polk 10's have stayed in the family.
Just last week one son called while listening to PF Wish You Were Here. Once again informing me just how much he enjoys them. The same one who has had a GF or two tell him they were to big. They are gone now, but the 10's remain.


Barney
 
A35s are quite nice -- pair of those here, too.
Larger than the A25, with a different loading scheme. Thevent is inside the enclosue, twixt the bass and treble subenclosures, as opposed to the external aperiodic vent on the A25.

aperiodic.jpg

The lower enclosure in this Dynaco brochure illustration shows the configuration of the A35.

source: http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/
(Greg Dunn's a member at AK, BTW)
 
Now as one who owned both the 10's and 60's. The Pioneer 60's were to my ears a very nice trade off between size and sound. Alas they went down the road while the Polk 10's have stayed in the family.
Just last week one son called while listening to PF Wish You Were Here. Once again informing me just how much he enjoys them. The same one who has had a GF or two tell him they were to big. They are gone now, but the 10's remain.


Barney
Size is something that I have to weigh as well. My Boston HD9s aren't too much bigger than an 17H x 11W sheet of paper. The smallest of the speaker pairs that I've mentioned are the Dynaco A35s coming in at 22.5 x 12.5 x 9.75 (approx.). The rest are 2 feet tall or better/worse.


A35s are quite nice -- pair of those here, too.
Larger than the A25, with a different loading scheme. Thevent is inside the enclosue, twixt the bass and treble subenclosures, as opposed to the external aperiodic vent on the A25.

aperiodic.jpg

The lower enclosure in this Dynaco brochure illustration shows the configuration of the A35.

source: http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/
(Greg Dunn's a member at AK, BTW)
Definitely need to give these a listen. When looking at audio specs for the A25 (haven't seen them for the A35), it seems that it has a range from 30Hz - 15kHz. How does this affect the sound on the upper end? There is a pair here on the local CL. I think that I need to give the guy a call and arrange a demo. He's even got stands for them.
 
Last edited:
Concerning the Polks are the comments on how they sound better with power. I rarely turn up the volume very high and I wonder if the speakers will even open up to their full potential. Again, I need to give them a listen.
 
Concerning the Polks are the comments on how they sound better with power. I rarely turn up the volume very high and I wonder if the speakers will even open up to their full potential. Again, I need to give them a listen.

You are misunderstanding the comments about power. It's not so much about being able to play loud, it's about the speakers sounding better at low volume levels.
 
For me, I would take Polk Monitor 10's over the HPM-60's.While the Pioneer HPM's are quite good, I don't feel they are in the same league as the Monitor 7 and 10. Price wise, I have seen Monitor 10's go for as little as $150 and listed as high as $350 on the auction site. I just won an auction for a pair on Shopgoodwill.com for cheap that I will be picking up later this week. My buddy and I are into stacking vintage bookshelf speakers and one of the best combos we have found is stacking a Monitor 7 above a Monitor 10. Just glorious sounding. Also, vintage Yamaha receivers/amps are an excellent match with Polk Monitors.

You may be into it and think it sounds good, but I dare say if measurements were taken it would prove otherwise.
 
You are misunderstanding the comments about power. It's not so much about being able to play loud, it's about the speakers sounding better at low volume levels.
Is that due to the fact that the source material would deliver a signal (strong bass line, cannon fire, etc...) that would require extra power from the receiver to accurately convey through the speakers? Or something to that affect?
 
Is that due to the fact that the source material would deliver a signal (strong bass line, cannon fire, etc...) that would require extra power from the receiver to accurately convey through the speakers? Or something to that affect?

Pretty much.
 
You are misunderstanding the comments about power. It's not so much about being able to play loud, it's about the speakers sounding better at low volume levels.

F1 is right. 60 watts vs 200 watts at low level (2 or 3), is night and day. I run a Sansui Six and Carver cube 400 power amp with SDA1 A. Volume at 3 is a good sweet spot. Rarely do I ever go past 4.
 
F1 is right. 60 watts vs 200 watts at low level (2 or 3), is night and day. I run a Sansui Six and Carver cube 400 power amp with SDA1 A. Volume at 3 is a good sweet spot. Rarely do I ever go past 4.

You are misunderstanding the comments about power. It's not so much about being able to play loud, it's about the speakers sounding better at low volume levels.

MER71, it seemed to me that F1 was talking about low audible volume, not low power in relation to given amplifier max output. The amplifier needs to be able to deliver enough current, even at low volume, to be able to drive the speakers properly.

If the audible volume of a given speaker is the same for 2 different rated amps, I would assume that the wattage being delivered is approximately the same.

If I am mistaken, F1 please correct.
 
Last edited:
The tweeter is not between the mid-drivers with the 10's on their side. MTM means Mid/Tweeter/Mid.

It's still better, from a dispersion standpoint, than the Monitor 10 in its original orientation. Dual "stacked" woofers (one over the other) has a wider horizontal dispersion and a narrower vertical dispersion (both good for soundstaging, in many cases)...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Well today I voided my original post by picking up a pair of KLH Model 17s in pretty good shape. The shop owner set them up for a listen and they sounded really good. We're dodging the storm now but I can't wait to see how they sound when we get back home.

I figure that later a trade will be in order..
 
Be safe. I'm in Florida and we watched that system go past in apprehension after getting hit the previous two years in a row. Sorry it hit the Carolina's. We'll say prayers for everyone.
 
Back
Top Bottom