• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Poll: What do you listen to the most?

What do you listen to most frequently?


  • Total voters
    240
  • Poll closed .
FM gets by far the most time around here, but then we have a few excellent stations to listen to. After that probably a tie between LPs and CDs followed by RTR and the very occasional cassette.
 
This is sort of a hard thing for me. For straight up hours listened to something, its probably radio. I won't say I actively listen, but the radio is on all day long when I'm at work. At a minimum, I get 40 hours a week of local programming.

For hours listened that I'm halfway paying attention to, probably the ipod. I use it a lot as background music though, in the car, when reading, or when working in the garage so its not always active listening

For time spent actually listening to music, not doing other things and running it for background distraction, its records. Won't say vinyl because I also own and run 78's sometimes.

I threw a dart and voted local digital, but this is really how it breaks down for me.
 
I put vinyl. But the % split with CD is so minimal, its really almost a wash. I just prefer to listen music in whatever format I have it in.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
I'm sure that if the question was one of preference, rather than majority of listening time, the response would fall out quite differently.

Maybe I should start another poll addressing the source/media that AKer's prefer for listening to music, disregarding issues of convenience, mobility, availability, etc. My first shot at responses would be:

  • Live music
  • Vinyl (includes LPs, 45s, 78s, etc)
  • R2R Tape
  • Cassette Tape
  • Digital Tape
  • CD
  • High-resolution digital disc (SACD, DVD-A, etc)
  • Digital files - CD quality, including lossless
  • Digital files - high res (higher bitrate than CD)
  • Digital files - compressed (lossy compression)
  • Streaming services, including Internet radio
  • FM Radio

Oops...that's twelve responses. The poll function only allows ten. I would appreciate suggestions regarding available responses and wording of the poll question.
 
Last edited:
Vinyl by a slight margin over FM and Streaming in terms of actual playing time, but most of the time I'm so distracted I couldn't tell you what is playing. This is usually when I am driving or working.

If we are talking about more "active" listening, as opposed to just having sound in the background, vinyl and streaming would increase in proportion. If the question is further altered to be "serious listening" or "critical listening" it would still be vinyl, but locally stored digital files would account for a larger percentage.
 
Because of lifes trials and tribulations and a glut of audio I listen to cds the most.Its the most convenient for me.I have some nice vinyl and nice turntables but it just takes more effort and time that at this point in my life I just don't have.I'm waiting for that day.
 
Great thread,

I have an external HD for back up, most of my MP3 is stored on a Dell Optaplex 753 or something like that... I have 2 160gb iPods for home use. all my MP3 is either 192 or higher.

I listen to more vinyl than digital, but enjoy both for different reasons. :thmbsp:
 
CDs far & away, followed by tapes in my car & the Dish network sometimes on weekends while making breakfast. They have a couple of good stations, Jazz Traditions, The Beach, Gumbo (New Orleans tunes) & Radio Margaritaville. When I am working in my basement I will throw on some vinyl.
 
With incredible variety and outstanding reception,my Yamaha T-2 is on most of the day. FM radio in the New York City Tri-state area is outstanding.
I've been an FM radio listener since the dawn of progressive music radio.
As for internet radio..............
Happy listening
Jimmy
 
Vinyl-sourced, CD-sourced, ROIO-sourced lossless digital, usually FLAC, but also several APE here 'n' there that I've been too lazy to convert to FLAC.
 
Just making a comment to re-activate this thread...it would be great to get some more responses to this poll The "sister" poll to this one is still featured on the AK home page. I'll publish a summary of results when the polls close.
 
I've loaded almost all of our roughly 4k CDs in my Sony HAP-Z1ES and it's totally changed how I listen. Sometimes I play a particular album, other times I choose one of the playlists we compiled, and quite often I just let the machine do the choosing. It's a fantastic device that led me to buy the companion integrated amp that now makes up my main system. I have a fairly nice Denon tt/cart combo in the same rack but it hardly ever gets used.
 
Back
Top Bottom