• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Possible Model 24 Rehab

Thanks guys. To me this has been a group effort from the beginning. Carter for initial feelers after being contacted, and his archival information. VAGuy1 for the few items that Carter didn't have, Dave, NotDigital, Altinkster, Gadget, Buglegirl, Tom Bavis, and others for the encouragement, and technical savvy. If I missed anyone by name, it's not intentional, and you are just as important as the guys who's names I pulled outof thinning brain cells.... The actual drive comes from all of you, who push, cajole, and yes, sometimes Double Dog dare to take on something like this. It works in that I'm actually learning more than I thought I would, although the math continues to cornfuse me. I just can't wrap equations made from letter's looking for a number around me. So I'll need that part continuously.

Like I said earlier this was a group effort. And this group is one of the main reasons that the FISHER Forum on AK continues to flourish. Without you, it wouldn't be 1/10th of what it is. Keep up the good work.

If she likes it 1/2 as much as I think/hope she will, I've done a good job. And if it's not, well I'll work on it more until it's what she wants ( I get this sneaky feeling she'd like the expander and compressor working, but I'll try and talk her down on this. I would like them running too, but what little results aren't worth the effort, unless I can resurrect one of the Dutchmen.)

So I'll push the reality/technical vs. the nostalgia aspect. I think her husband is on my side with it, at least I get that impression from the emails. So there's a good shot here.

About the only thing it needs is a real good tuner alignment. But right now Cross your fingers that she'll like it as is (99 & 44/100's sure). Getting her Dad's console running again has been a long time coming for them and everyone is getting antsy! Gonna go take a nap as I know I won't sleep worth a tinker's damn tonight.

Larry
 
I'm looking forward to a happy ending on this one. Glad I was able to connect you guys - hope it wasn't too big an ordeal for you. I wonder if they'll be able to listen to Alice's Restaurant on the Anniversary on any of their local radio stations come Thanksgiving.

Oh, I am pretty sure there are at least a couple of AF's Dutchmen still around if you want to try to contact them. I think they'd be on your side - especially since the Expander and Suppressor were designed by George Maerkle and Hermon Hosmer Scott, respectively.
 
I've been on the road most of the day. Just got back from the Serviece Call. LOL Connected it all up, leaving the compressor and expander disconnected (signal path wise) with the power to the compressor and preamp. I turned it on with the Radio playing first:banana:, and the waterworks started. She had NOT heard this unit in over 30 years, and the memories came flooding back. VERY EMOTIONAL MOMENT for all. Played a 12" RCA red 78rpm copy of something (I think it was Beethoven or Bach I just don't remember.) first with the original preamp. Then i switched the RCA's around to hook up the RIAA preamp. NIGHT and DAY! She agreed that the RIAA preamp was Orders of magnitude better and I left it hooked up and screwed it to the back. I left the original preamp and compressor powered up for the heaters as changing it over and having another teh look at it, might confuse the hell out of a board level tech. But I left the resistor there just in case. Along with the old 6sn7's, and a spare 12at7.

Scrounged up a 6ft piece of wire and connected ti to the FM and then AM. Both bands get a multitude of stations. So I recommended to Steve that a pairof Rabbit ears would probably be fine, and just take that coil of long wire, wire he has and run it up into the attic and along the rafters. No trees in the years. Short wave was a bust on the 6ft wire there. I imagine it would work much better with the long wire and later during the evening.

All in all she's extremely :tresbon::banana::yes::thmbsp:satisfied with it and that's putting it mildly. She can listen to her Dad's records again, with his gear. And savor a lot of memories as a kid. Plus she has my phone #. (I like to see a unit only once, unless I'm visiting the house it's in).

It was a fun challenge at times, and others I literally felt like ripping what little hair I have left out. But it was mostly fun. Plus the end result was worth the effort.

Again my sincere thanks to all who helped. Without a group effort this one might have not gotten to where it is now. And we also benefitted in the knowledge base for repairs. Hopefully someone down the road will use this as a GUIDE to redo their 24.

Larry



Couple of Pics
Front: We hadn't got the door on yet, as the screws got misplaced.
attachment.php


CONTROL PANEL. This has a brass escutcheon surrounding the dial glass, that is different from the Coronet.
attachment.php


ID Plate below the knobs are BASS- TREBLE - SELECTOR - VOLUME (lousy batteries caused no flash)

attachment.php


Your's Truly and the OWNERS. (Yes I got the OK to post it)
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 100_4709.jpg
    100_4709.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_4707.jpg
    100_4707.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_4706.jpg
    100_4706.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_4710.jpg
    100_4710.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 33
What, Larry? No nerd pack in your shirt pocket? As for pulling hair, you have a lot more than I do and it isn't all white either.
 
LOL!
They still make them? I did have my tweaker in there with my smokes.

You should have seen the GRIN on her face after she calmed down. Like a kid in a candy store after hearing he wasn't restricted to any amount for him or any of his friends for a year, free! I think she's still on Cloud 9. And I've got more room in here(8'5"x10'9" room). Was getting a bit crowded.
 
Larry, you're great :thmbsp:

That Fisher is absolutely stunning, and I would love to have one someday and follow your rebuild here.

What a fantastic ending to another one of your many Fisher projects. BTW, got to get my braces (old english for suspenders) out - they'll be the new 'de regeur' in Fisher working man's fashion :)

:tresbon: indeed!
 
Aw Hell. Take the "fashion statement" all the way and wear ties and arm garter's too. Now THAT would freak out people.

Right now belt's are not my friends. They press right on the bulged disc in my back causing all kinds of problems. So the braces came back out of retirement.
 
Awesome, glad to hear it all worked out. Nice to see someone really happy with the results of a lot of hard work.
 
Fisher 24-b rehab

My wife and i would like to say thank you to larry derouin for his outstanding skill to breathe life back into our fisher after 40+ years of silence. Great job 11
 
LOL!
They still make them?
.....

Don't know if they still make them. Probably replaced by the smart phone. We had a high school classmate that always had one (early 1960s) and we used to joke that this was a chick magnet as in, "I go for the man with the Eico pencil holder."
 
Back
Top Bottom