• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Possible seized pot on SX-1250

rush2112guy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
In doing some general checking around on my receiver, I found my treble control is stuck in the flat or “neutral” position. Fortunately it will roll to the right of flat to increase the treble if needed but not to the left of flat. So I am wondering if this could be a seized pot? This receiver was completely restored a few years ago by Glen “Echowars” and has always and continues to work perfectly, this is just my OCD wanting my SX-1250 to stay perfect. Can anyone give me any ideas on how I can remedy the issue?
I have very little knowledge on repairing these receivers or if I should even worry about it!
Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hello, that would seem to be fixable . . . you'll get some good suggestions on here.

I'm wondering if you've removed the bottom cover to see what access there is to the pot itself. I wish I were more familiar with the SX-1250. Normal process would be to clean the pot with Deoxit D5 then perhaps follow up with faderlube, by finding an opening and spraying it in there. Maybe it's the post that's binding in which case you could remove the knob and place a drop of something on the shaft to free it up.

I'll bet some Pioneer experts will chime in with some great suggestions!
 
Hello, that would seem to be fixable . . . you'll get some good suggestions on here.

I'm wondering if you've removed the bottom cover to see what access there is to the pot itself. I wish I were more familiar with the SX-1250. Normal process would be to clean the pot with Deoxit D5 then perhaps follow up with faderlube, by finding an opening and spraying it in there. Maybe it's the post that's binding in which case you could remove the knob and place a drop of something on the shaft to free it up.

I'll bet some Pioneer experts will chime in with some great suggestions![/QUOTE


I did pull the knob off and gave it a shot of fader lube because I had it in my hand from working on my equalizer. I probably should have tried the deoxit first, but man it is still really locked up. I’m definitely afraid to turn it too hard. I don’t want to snap it off!
 
If you don't get the Deoxit INSIDE the control you can spray gallons and it won't help.
While possible, maybe, to just pull the knob and try squirting at/through the faceplate you may need to pull the case off, get access to the control, and find an opening to get Deoxit inside the control.
 
If you don't get the Deoxit INSIDE the control you can spray gallons and it won't help.
While possible, maybe, to just pull the knob and try squirting at/through the faceplate you may need to pull the case off, get access to the control, and find an opening to get Deoxit inside the control.


Yes thank you, I’m going to have to dig deeper for sure, or it just might drive me crazy
 
Are you sure the knob is on correctly? Seems odd it would move one way but not the other.

Try turning it to the right and see if it goes too far to the right.

Rob
I thought the same thing, but I tried it and it stops at the proper spot
 
I had 2 siezed pots on a sansui 5000X my solution was as follows.
I removed the pots altogether.
Used a heat gun to warm up the shaft and gradually turned it.
After a while the movement came back. It wasn't still great so I applied 1 drop, yes just one, of deoxit to the shaft sleeve and continued with the process. That is the most u should need, how I now this is because I used more than one on the first pot and it's a little looser than factory.
 
If you go to trying to remove the front panel, you will need a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the tuning knob removal. I would put 1 drop of penetrating oil in the hole and leave it overnite first. When you go at it be very careful and cautious because, if it gets messed up, you will be SOL for getting the faceplate off.

I have never heard of a detented pot acting like that. I would get some Caig Fader as a lubricant for it. It is expensive, but worth the money. I bought a bottle around 2006 and it is still 2/3 full. Good luck with your beast.
 
If you go to trying to remove the front panel, you will need a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the tuning knob removal. I would put 1 drop of penetrating oil in the hole and leave it overnite first. When you go at it be very careful and cautious because, if it gets messed up, you will be SOL for getting the faceplate off.

I have never heard of a detented pot acting like that. I would get some Caig Fader as a lubricant for it. It is expensive, but worth the money. I bought a bottle around 2006 and it is still 2/3 full. Good luck with your beast.
Thank you for the great info! I do have some Caig Fader Lube and Deoxit as well.
I’ve never seen one do this either but then again it is over 40 years old
I know my 59 year old joints don’t move like they used to 40 years ago either! Haha
 
I know for a fact Glenn would not be satisfied with such a pot either, and now that he's worked on that unit, he's probably going to feel a disturbance in the Force. So get that fixed! :rflmao:

You are exactly right, it definitely did not come back from him that way! He couldn’t have been a more professional, friendly guy to work with! It will be fixed!!!
 
The only thing I can think of is that the control has taken a hit and perhaps broken the disk inside the pot that has the resistive trace. I've seen it happen where the disk splits and half goes up and the other down. The centre detent part is likely where the break is. The wiper jams when it hits the break in the disk, inside the shell of the pot.
 
The only thing I can think of is that the control has taken a hit and perhaps broken the disk inside the pot that has the resistive trace. I've seen it happen where the disk splits and half goes up and the other down. The centre detent part is likely where the break is. The wiper jams when it hits the break in the disk, inside the shell of the pot.

Funny thing is, it stops perfectly at the flat position, and operates perfectly smoothly to the right of flat. I will eventually have to open it up because it will drive me crazy knowing it’s not perfect! Haha
 
Could be the lower half of that disk now sits above the other so it stops where the break is, and the other half is intact and working. Weird things can happen.
 
Back
Top Bottom