• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Post your Best looking/sounding Low Boy speakers

Sure do! :yes: Im off work this week, hoping to make new front and rear baffles for them. Im going to port them according to the EV documents. The current port is small and rear mounted, while the new one will be front mounted with the correct dimensions ;) Hopefully theyll dig a little deeper. The bass is no slouch as they are, but a little more never hurt anybody :D

You mean like the big V-port thing on the baffle of the Aristocrat? I think it's the Aristocrat I'm thinking of here. Or are you just talking about a simple round port like what's on my W90's?
 
I have a rear 4" ID x 4" L port, but with the EV docs, I should have a 12.5" W x 4" H x 6" D port. Way more port valume than the one thats on there now. It should help out quite a bit.
 
Not sure if these qualify as "Low Boys" (the upper foam hides an open area with a Walsh tweeter), but since I just uploaded for another thread...

attachment.php


Infinity 2000AXT. The Lucite rods and glass plate on top are additions.
 
Rectilinear III

I really like my recapped Rectilinear III's, so I can only assume that the "Lowboy" version would sound similar.

attachment.php


Dave
 

Attachments

  • iii-lowboy_1.jpg
    iii-lowboy_1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 262
I really like my recapped Rectilinear III's, so I can only assume that the "Lowboy" version would sound similar.

attachment.php


Dave

I was wondering when someone would bring up Rectilinear. The first time I ever heard the term "lowboy" was in relation to their stuff.

4-ways, huh? Never heard Rectilinears before, but I've heard great things about them.
 
Last edited:
I suppose these might be considered lowboys.

First time I've ever seen a picture of the HPM-200's... They remind me of the Wharfedale W70 in terms of looks (Probably very-different in terms of sound-signature though).

Boy, I bet the bass on those is TIGHT, with lots of weight and depth.

__________________________________________________________________

Listening to Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" (CD)
2000x / MSII / W90's / :smoke: = The "Mid-Life Crisis" Of The Cool
 
The only lowboys I presently own (I don't consider my L-300s or C-36s to be lowboys), Jensen PR-400A. Look cool and sound absolutely great.
 

Attachments

  • S5001691a.jpg
    S5001691a.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 66
  • S5001692a.jpg
    S5001692a.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 61
First time I've ever seen a picture of the HPM-200's... They remind me of the Wharfedale W70 in terms of looks (Probably very-different in terms of sound-signature though).

Boy, I bet the bass on those is TIGHT, with lots of weight and depth.


__________________________________________________________________

Listening to Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" (CD)
2000x / MSII / W90's / :smoke: = The "Mid-Life Crisis" Of The Cool

If the low notes are there the HPM-200s will reproduce them, perhaps as as closely as they were meant to be heard :yes:
 
love the C50's!

Those Jensens Tarior has are also great looking:tresbon:

Yeah, I really-dig those Jensen cabs... I love a great-looking, well-built, beautifully-veneered, vintage cab like the ones they made back in the tube era (1965 and earlier, give or take). I saw an Eames-designed Stephens Tru Sonic single cab from the mid-late '50's that was one of the best-looking speakers I had ever seen. It was big too, with a 15" in it.

When people first get started in the hi-fi game, I think most of them don't have a clue about what they really-want. As I learned more and more about what makes good gear good and bad gear bad, I found my tastes had changed quite a bit over time. I started off lusting after late '70's solid-state gear with the power meters, power-hungry speakers, and all the switches and things, but before long I was gravitating towards the much-simpler, meat-&-potatoes SS gear from the early '70's (most of which was designed to emulate tube gear) and lusting after the furniture-style speakers from the '50's and '60's.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just reverting back to my childhood or something...
 
Thanks, GT.
I'm pretty certain that my Jensens are from '64 or '65. They sound their best when driven by a Mc 2105/C-26 combo, and they will do justice to any genre of music. I hate to admit it, but I think they sound better than my similar vintage JBL C-36, or least they have a much bigger sweet spot.

Yeah, I really-dig those Jensen cabs... I love a great-looking, well-built, beautifully-veneered, vintage cab like the ones they made back in the tube era (1965 and earlier, give or take). I saw an Eames-designed Stephens Tru Sonic single cab from the mid-late '50's that was one of the best-looking speakers I had ever seen. It was big too, with a 15" in it.

When people first get started in the hi-fi game, I think most of them don't have a clue about what they really-want. As I learned more and more about what makes good gear good and bad gear bad, I found my tastes had changed quite a bit over time. I started off lusting after late '70's solid-state gear with the power meters, power-hungry speakers, and all the switches and things, but before long I was gravitating towards the much-simpler, meat-&-potatoes SS gear from the early '70's (most of which was designed to emulate tube gear) and lusting after the furniture-style speakers from the '50's and '60's.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just reverting back to my childhood or something...
 
Thanks, GT.
I'm pretty certain that my Jensens are from '64 or '65. They sound their best when driven by a Mc 2105/C-26 combo, and they will do justice to any genre of music. I hate to admit it, but I think they sound better than my similar vintage JBL C-36, or least they have a much bigger sweet spot.

I've been seeing a lot of this... people who prefer to power tube-era speakers with early '70's solid-state amps/receivers. Those early ss models were designed to emulate tubes basically, but they tend to have a tighter bottom-end than the tube stuff. And a lot of early-ss amps/receivers have great mids and highs, just like the tube gear. Kind of a 'best of both worlds' situation for certain people (like myself). My Wharfedales like that kind of gear, and so do Bozaks (My Wharfs also sound really-nice with tube gear... Not sure which works better). I've been seeing more and more of this lately.

______________________________________________________
Listening to Kool & The Gang's "Celebrate" 1st-pressing US LP :banana:
 
photo-21.jpg
http://[/IMG] My mono Wharfedale SFB3,fairly low to the ground.

That is a beauty... Next on my list, once I build the war chest back up after blowing most of it on the W90's. That Super 3, man... I've never heard such a sweet, smooth-sounding tweeter in my life (It's really more of a upper-mid/tweeter). Those Briggs-era drivers integrate perfectly with each other. Seamless to the point that you don't even think about the drivers when you're listening (Instead, you're listening to the speaker in the wall, on the arm of a chair, in the center of the TV screen, etc...).

I like the look of the SFB. I know Briggs was just doing his take on the Quad look/sound (via a completely-different design), but I like prefer the SFB in terms of looks (I do really-like the way the Quad looks though). I'm curious to find out which sounds better, a pair of SFB's or the W90's (the Briggs-era ones from '64-'65... Playing an old Blue Note LP through them right now). I would imagine the best-sounding Wharfedale of all is the big custom jobber that he used for the Quad/Wharfedale demonstrations (They show that one on the cover of the Gilbert Briggs/Wharfedale biography that just came out, along with the other models, just like it was something people could buy... Jeez, if that's true, then that would be the holy grail of all things Wharfedale... Imagine a pair of those sitting in your living room... Oooh, BABY...
:banana:

I'm waiting for my copy of that book (It's coming from Britain, so it's taking a while, I guess). Can't wait to dig into that. I want to find out more about the speakers that Wharfedale made back in the 40's and '50's. There's some great stuff out there that's virtually-unknown. Way-back in like the early '50's, or maybe even late '40's, Briggs made a small-sized cabinet with his initials on the front in huge, solid wood letters, "GB". Some guy I saw on YouTube has it. I didn't see any Wharfedale name on it anywhere, but you can hear it. The sound is clearly Wharfedale (Plus the guy said so... :D). Briggs definitely knew how to build a good driver.

___________________________________________________
Listening to Stanley Turrentine's "Up At Minton's" LP (Blue Note "RVG" pressing)
Some Living Jazz is next, then some rap vinyl... :smoke:
 
Last edited:
Hello Poppet

Fisher 500c with all original Mullards plus Altec 604e Super Duplex in Barzilay cabinets.
Can't beat it with a stick!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 94
image.jpeg image.jpegOld thread, but universal. My wife likes the mid century modern look and I've finally been able to please both of us with my first true low boys. Recently picked up some JBL C38 cabs loaded with LE 14c full range coaxials. I like the laid back sound and find them non-fatiguing. She finds them elegant and consistent with the room. Finally some vintage speakers that I enjoy the sound from and are not limited to my basement man cave.
 
With the crossovers rebuilt, you may just be surprised at how good those LE14C can sound.
 
I've seen that written elsewhere. I may try bi-amping them to test the water and based on that decide whether to try to improve the existing crossover system. There doesn't seem to be much to these crossovers. I've always wondered if I could borrow some passives from a different unused system. Do people do that?
 
Back
Top Bottom