• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Powered sub with 2-channel setup: Best cable configuration?

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
I'm curious about the best way to hook up a powered subwoofer with a pair of smaller 2-way monitors...in a 2-channel specific setup. :scratch2: Opinions and facts are both welcomed in this discussion.

-->My goals: 1) To get the best possible sound quality. 2) Maintain tonal balance/sonic signature between my integrated amp, the monitors and powered subwoofer (if possible).

Here's my powered sub amp...it has both preamp AND speaker level connections. I replaced the 5% resistors in the speaker level connection with 1% precision resistors. (excuse the dust/dirt; old pic, now clean)

9712126f-ecbd-4eb1-8b58-d9e182a54448_zpsf05c7bfb.jpg


So, I have 2 options on how to hook up the speakers...

1) Speaker level connection: wire from integrated amp speaker outputs to the sub-amp > then from sub-amp to monitors. (see below pic)

19b37c69-0c01-48bf-a255-b05e6fe7007d_zps3bc79f6b.jpg


2) Preamp level connection: interconnect from pre-out on integrated amp to rca's on sub-amp. Wire from integrated amp speaker outputs directly to monitors. (see below pic)

89fea03f-e09c-4b6f-b0d1-a20daeac147d_zpsa316941b.jpg



At this point, I'm leaning towards the first option, speaker level connection. Why? I'm hoping that the tonal balance/sonic signature of my integrated amplifier will be heard through the entire frequency range of these speakers and NOT just the monitor section. I'm not sure if this is even possible, which is why I'm posting this thread.

I'm also thinking that this choice would affect the 'monitor & sub' crowd more than the 'full range & sub' crowd...since you won't need to create as much mid-bass with your sub when used with large full range speakers.

What do you guys think?? :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
It may depend upon your amplification. For example, I am using a monitor and sub combo with my Fisher 500c. The 500c puts the entire frequency range out the center channel - so, I hook that up with interconnects to my sub and use the internal crossover of the sub to tune it so it just picks up the lowest frequencies not covered by my left and right monitors.
 
It may depend upon your amplification. For example, I am using a monitor and sub combo with my Fisher 500c. The 500c puts the entire frequency range out the center channel - so, I hook that up with interconnects to my sub and use the internal crossover of the sub to tune it so it just picks up the lowest frequencies not covered by my left and right monitors.

I get that part...I have done that in the past with a Scott 299-D. I'm sure my Musical Fidelity A300 puts out the entire frequency range from it's pre-outs.

But, there are discussions about the sound signature from a pre-out compared to speaker terminals and how they might be different...on the same amp.

This is my main concern: sound signature. Not frequency response.
 
Do you know if the sub amp incorporates a high pass filter on the speaker out connection?

The speakers have had the amp(s) added, or? Im a bit confused by the use of monitor and sub when it looks like all one deal...
 
Last edited:
I'd go with the speaker level connections if trying to maintain as much sonic signature of the amp as possible.
 
The speakers have had the amp(s) added, or? Im a bit confused by the use of monitor and sub when it looks like all one deal...

I'm not sure if you're familiar with M&K sub/satellite combos, but each of these towers is made up of an S-2B satellite speaker (1" tweet, 5" mid) and a Volkswoofer 2-B (12" powered sub, 200 watts RMS). Completely separate, the monitors are closed off from the woofer internally. The cabinet really is an amazing design. Usually you see one Volkswoofer paired with a couple S-1B, S-2B or S-100 monitors on stands.

My speakers are SV-200B's...a rare find, that I'm just now getting back to rebuilding. I have more info here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=519388

-----------------------------

As for the main topic, we have 2 votes for speaker level connection and 1 vote for line level connection....anyone else care to chime in? :thmbsp:
 
Still looking for some more replies.

Come on...I know quite a few people use powered subs with 2-channel. How do you hook it all up and why?
 
Speaker level... Does the sub amp have a cutoff? phase adjust?

By cut-off, do you mean crossover adjustment? There is a 50-125 Hz crossover adjustment. No phase adjust though...it wouldn't be used with music anyways, that's for movies.

Oh-- I see filter. gosh that's tiny.

The trimmer pot is actually behind that little black cap...you have to pop it off with a jewelers screwdriver and adjust the pot.
 
Last edited:
By cut-off, do you mean crossover adjustment? There is a 50-125 Hz crossover adjustment. No phase adjust though...it wouldn't be used with music anyways, that's for movies.

Phase adjust is appropriate for music too....but when the sub and speaker are in the same cabinet it's not really necessary if the designer and assembler did their job.

When the sub is separate and located in a different spot from the speakers. regardless if used for movies or music, phase adjust may be necessary to get the speaker and sub to play nice together.
 
Phase adjust is appropriate for music too....but when the sub and speaker are in the same cabinet it's not really necessary if the designer and assembler did their job.

When the sub is separate and located in a different spot from the speakers. regardless if used for movies or music, phase adjust may be necessary to get the speaker and sub to play nice together.

That makes sense. I guess my thinking was more along the lines of the same cabinet idea, with forward facing woofers.
 
In my three systems with subs, the subs are all connected by line level, and all of the "main" speakers run full range. I seem to like it better that way. Peace and goodwill.
 
...the subs are all connected by line level, and all of the "main" speakers run full range.

+1 here. I didn't like the idea of daisy chaining from amp -> sub -> speakers (not that there's anything wrong with that...). Just not the way I wanted to set things up.

I go full range to the mains and run a separate cable taking lows to the sub. I adjust the cutoff frequency and volume of the sub independent of the main speakers and everything balances easily. I need very little volume on the sub - it's just there to add a little ooomph to the lower registers, not to carry all the bass.
 
Back
Top Bottom