• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Prepping a Russco turntable..

Don’t forget about reverb. Not recommending this one but it is unique. I have no affiliation with the seller. It’s best of course to get it local. God only knows the horrors ups and usps would wreak!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9786.jpeg
    IMG_9786.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 27
This red is a little ..intense - but probably not too far from the original felt mat. Just cut it out and set it in place on the platter. Contemplating whether or not to glue it down.. Any thoughts?

View attachment 2667831
I realize that this is an old thread, but if you plan on playing 45s you'll want to relieve the felt around the label area in the center so that the bottom side grooves are touching the felt rather than the label.
 
I’ve been busy with other matters, in particular, acquiring enough MicroTrak headshells to allow for at least three different cartridge choices that way I can avoid the tedious removal and installation of a new cart each time. There are three types of MicroTrak headshells for anyone who cares.

The issue I would like input on is whether anyone has tried a full nylon grub screw or a nylon tipped SS grub screw for the main spindle. The full nylon is wildly over priced for what it is but I suspect that the less metal on metal in the mix, the less audible vibration one would encounter.
The full nylon 1/2-13x 1.25” come in a socket end, slotted or hex. I have the flat bottom spindle with a trapped ball in the grub screw.
Here’s a video of my Cuemaster running:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6331.jpeg
    IMG_6331.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6325.jpeg
    IMG_6325.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 10
I drilled and inserted delrin in a brass grub screw, then sanded and polished it into a dome. If I had known about the $12.95 option I might have done that. My spindle has the captured ball bearing. I would think you would want a dome on the delrin to minimize the contact area.
 
I drilled and inserted delrin in a brass grub screw, then sanded and polished it into a dome. If I had known about the $12.95 option I might have done that. My spindle has the captured ball bearing. I would think you would want a dome on the delrin to minimize the contact area.
That was my thought as well. I read on Lenco Heaven that flat was better(a pad on top of the screw) than a delrin ball even though it’s arguably counter intuitive. I honestly don’t think that I could hear the difference.
 
That was my thought as well. I read on Lenco Heaven that flat was better(a pad on top of the screw) than a delrin ball even though it’s arguably counter intuitive. I honestly don’t think that I could hear the difference.
Hey OB

I just started my own Russco rehab project. I printed out this 1/2-13 grub with 5/16” pocket for the Delrin rod. If you’re interested I could send you the file. Or ship you one to try out.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5735.jpeg
    IMG_5735.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 12
W
Hey OB

I just started my own Russco rehab project. I printed out this 1/2-13 grub with 5/16” pocket for the Delrin rod. If you’re interested I could send you the file. Or ship you one to try out.
Wow! How could I refuse?!!! I’m still settling into a new home and searching for an affordable/sturdy stand for my Russco. Message me the cost for printing/shipping etc and I’ll provide my address. Have you tried it out yet? Looks like a perfect solution! Thanks again. J
 
Back
Top Bottom