• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Price check on JBL & McIntosh gear?

Any idea what someone would pay for these things as-is?

in rusted out mouse urine condition such as those, I wouldnt pay more than 100 for the entire lot as they sit right now. i certainly wouldnt be buying any of that to use, i'd be buying them to try to part out and clean up and sell the parts that did clean up well to others who might need them, but thats just my opinion of the situation. you have to consider that time is money and those items will require a great deal of time. ..and money, to refurb
 
I'm with highping, a not working but cosmetically nice MC502 sold for $257 on e-bay (for a local sale with rust I think you'd be in the $150 range). A C24 in restored condition is only worth about $400, with rough cosmetics and non-working you're in the <$200 range. The MR71 is the most valuable but it's too far gone to really be restorable and most of the valuable parts may not be salvageable given the extent of the corrosion. Very hard to value but probably only ~$100 unless the faceplate cleans up really well or something.

A good tech can fix electrical problems but there's not much one can do about rust...
 
That's good info ... essentially he's asked me to either sell it for him, or keep it and pay him for it. I am trying to figure a fair amount to pay him for it, since it seems like selling isn't a good option. In reality, I'd really like to restore it - at least functionally - and keep it, assuming it isn't too expensive for replacement parts to do so. So I'm not sure what to do.
 
If you can live with less than perfect cosmetics I think the C24 and MC502 are decent candidates for repair (assuming you can do the work yourself, I wouldn't pay someone to repair these pieces). Heck, with some sanding and a coat of paint you could maybe even get the MC502 into salable condition.
 
Yes, much rougher than I first thought. I will try to clean them up and diagnose. I am hoping it is something simple for the pre-amp and amp. I'm also hoping the chrome is intact under the dirt on the tuner.

Pio, forgive me but what is "cdx of the tuner"? Is it the signal reception strength?

Any idea what someone would pay for these things as-is?
Cdx= condition. As mentioned, there are components in the tuner that are vulnerable to poor storage and weathering, specifically the canned coil assemblies, trimmers, and the tuning capacitor amongst others. The canned coil assemblies of this era are a particularly royal pita to deal with.
 
That's good info ... essentially he's asked me to either sell it for him, or keep it and pay him for it. I am trying to figure a fair amount to pay him for it, since it seems like selling isn't a good option. In reality, I'd really like to restore it - at least functionally - and keep it, assuming it isn't too expensive for replacement parts to do so. So I'm not sure what to do.
The labor equity needed is quite high, probably excessive for a perfect restoration. If you want to clean them up and get them working to recover their utility value and keep them, it could be a good way to get into MAC on the cheap, if the seller understands their true value. The tuner could be very carefully cleaned up as much as possible under direction of an expert and sent off to a specialist for evaluation and hopefully a functional rescue.
 
Agreed with most the sentiments expressed thus far: Restoration costs alone would likely exceed the final value of the equipment. In other words, you would be upside down even if you got the lot for free.
 
One very positive thing is that the glass faces seem to be intact, which you cannot say the same for many Mc's in similar situations.
 
I really appreciate everyone's input here, thank you - I've decided to keep them and see if I can get them up and running. I'll make a decent offer for them and try to explain their condition. Off to hunt for repair manuals and any spare parts I can find ... and hope nothing is too broken to be fixed.
 
Any updates? If the tuner ends up unusable, I could use the faceplate to replace one lost in an earthquake.
 
Thanks for asking about updates, the tuner does work to some degree. For now, my plan is to keep all the Mac gear. The pre-amp and the power amp both cleaned up alright but are both definitively non-functional. I just needed to figure out how much to offer my friend for the gear. And I don't want to break any forum rules!
 
Back
Top Bottom