• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pro sports

King Power, which is owned by the same Thai family that own LCFC. Small price to pay for a 45 minute half with no commercial interruptions.

So what league are the Cleveland Browns, last year's worst NFL team, playing in this year? Oh, wait, they got rewarded for that failure with the first draft pick and are still in the NFL?

I didn't make myself clear, sorry.

The point I was trying to make - not very well - was that it's easy to take big time sporting events as something more than commercial entertainment where the goal is to make money. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out the obvious. But when we try to make them more than that by injecting serious non-sporting subjects over which good people can strongly disagree, unpleasantness inevitably ensues.

I didn't mean to poke fun at The Foxes, who pulled off possibly the greatest sporting upset in history. If the NFL had promotion / relegation, the Browns would gone down long ago.
 
I didn't make myself clear, sorry.

The point I was trying to make - not very well - was that it's easy to take big time sporting events as something more than commercial entertainment where the goal is to make money. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out the obvious. But when we try to make them more than that by injecting serious non-sporting subjects over which good people can strongly disagree, unpleasantness inevitably ensues.

I didn't mean to poke fun at The Foxes, who pulled off possibly the greatest sporting upset in history. If the NFL had promotion / relegation, the Browns would gone down long ago.

I took the query in good humor.

European soccer isn't non-commercial, but it is monetized differently than US pro sports. The no-time-outs-during-the-half thing has led to other ways to monetize the sport on TV than commercial breaks, such as the jersey sponsors and the advertising side boards. I think that the differences (no commercial breaks, promotion & relegation, no trading of players, etc.) is part of what attracts me to English soccer.

It has been a fun ride, with many ups and downs, being a fan of LCFC since the mid-90s. I think I've gotten good value for the time and money I've invested in following the Foxes.
 
Harry Carrey was a traitor.He was paid by Budweiser,but you often saw bottles of Old Style in the booth.

Harry Carey was cool when he did the White Sox games with Jimmy Piersoll. They were funny, irreverent and quite critical when it was called for; LaRussa was often pissed at them. Carey was often half lit and Piersoll often "forgot his medications".

When Carey went to the Cubs he changed his schtick for the sappy Northsiders; he lost his edge and became a big homer and a lovable and harmless mascot. The Cubs fans were looking for another Jack Brickhouse and Carey filled the role well--within a year the love starved Cubs fans made him an instant tradition. That's show business.
 
Those athletes are believing a bunch of crap being posted on social media by Russian internet trolls, Dumb asses!
 
Those athletes are believing a bunch of crap being posted on social media by Russian internet trolls, Dumb asses!

A lot of the interconnect and capacitor threads that turn testy here are the work of Russian bots, bent on sewing the seeds of discord and doubt on AK. No one can convince me otherwise.
 
Last edited:
Full disclosure - I realize that while the cat's away the mice are gonna play. OTOH we're still gonna be pals on other threads whatever might happen to this one. This one seems to have become cloaked by solar flares or the South Atlantic Anomaly.
 
The only mention of politics relating to this site is the solid wall-to-wall banner ads I'm getting for the runoff between big strange Luther vs the Ayatolla of Alabama on this site. The amount of money being spent here in Bamastan on these two assholes is beyond astonishing.
Let me know when Roy Moore commits a suicide bombing. I'll wait...
 
Let me know when Roy Moore commits a suicide bombing. I'll wait...
Many see him close to equivalent to Fred Phelps of Topeka. He says his religious beliefs "trump" federal law, and by extension the Constitution of the United States, so I guess it's not Sharia when he advocates it.
 
We should all take a bow for 180 posts, teetering on the brink of politics and worse, and somehow not getting this thread locked.
 
As soon as Goodell took the job he began injecting the poison of politics into the league, in tandem with ESPN and ABC. It's reached a tipping point where the league is feeling the repercussions. ESPN even worse, I believe. Politics is poison when it is practiced where it doesn't belong. Like in this forum.
 
I like to watch golf, when I need to take a nap.
Really, I like to watch it, But inevitably, a deep nap follows.
 
Trying hard to fly your agenda under the radar is more like it. I'm not sure why - there doesn't seem to be anybody AT the radar.
What is my "agenda"?
My "agenda" is getting folks to do their own research beyond popular opinion and do some independent thinking.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom