• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ProAc Owners Thread

Mine are Solen, but there are a myriad of choices, I almost went with Auricaps to replace these stock Solens, but just never got around to it...

Since the day I got them in 2017 I have wanted to replace the Solens with something better and do the same thing for the sand cast resistors...some Mills or something...but, just haven't put the money aside to afford that...
 
Well I just installed new tweeters for a speaker that has been out if production for almost 20 years it's refreshing to see ProAc still supports older models with the proper drivers. Hopefully that tradition continues.

Woofers changed in 2018 or 2019 with the proper ProAc stamped baskets, not off-the-shelf Scanspeak units.

Tweeters changed today (a child's finger found its way to a dome before Christmas)

View attachment 2778588
It's a shame that that child won't be able to type or play musical instruments without the offending finger...
 
Proac Response 1.5

Unlike my Super Tablettes, these weren't found at a yard sale (I ended up selling those, which I regret). I bought these last weekend from the original owner. He took fantastic care of them--there isn't a mark on them.

How do they sound? I love them. 8 ohms, medium efficiency (88 db), so not that too hard to drive. 80 solid state watts per channel gets plenty of volume out of them. They are the perfect size for our 14' x 14' living room, and at 50 pounds are fairly easy to move around. Bonus: high WAF.

I read a Stereophile review of the Response 2.5 in which they said, "The 2.5's tweeter is offset toward the center of the soundstage to reduce the effects of sidewall reflections." I assume the same is true of the 1.5, the tweeter should be oriented to the center and not the outside? The original owner was using them the other way, with the tweeters oriented toward the outside. Maybe it just comes down to personal preference...:rolleyes:

Proac1.jpg Proac2.jpg Proac3.jpg Proac4.jpg Proac5.jpg Proac6.jpg
 
I sent a couple of questions to ProAc, and they got back to me right away. First, based on the serial number, my Response 1.5 were manufactured in May 2000 (hard to believe this pair is 23 years old). Second, ProAc confirmed that all their mirror-imaged speakers should be positioned with the tweeters on the inside, so I've done that.
 
The only transistor amps that have the relaxed warm sound appropriate for extended ProAc listening are the 1970's Sansui xxx, AU and B series. Perhaps an acceptable step down would be cap coupled 22xx Marantz from same era.
You can add the cap-coupled Sony STR-6060 to that list. ;) Better than the 22xx cap-coupled Marantz to my ears... The Sony is sounding great with my Response 1.5. Cheers--
 
Hey all, I just found a pair of Proac Mini Towers. They look like this:
PXL_20240817_222237567.jpg

As far as I can tell, these may have been stable mates with the original Tablette and the Extended Bass Tablette. I'm not able to find much regarding this model

Here is a stereophile review for the Response 3 model in 2007 in which the reviewer specifically names the Mini Tower as a speaker he disliked:

And here's a link to user @Raynald mentions selling the mini towers against better perceived value in the stand-mounts:
Post in thread 'Can anyone tell me about Proac Mini Towers ?' https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...e-about-proac-mini-towers.652501/post-8685281

I'm hoping to find any more input, good or bad. I'm driving these with a firstwatt F5 and a DIY multibit DAC and I think they sound excellent, but I do not mind someone sharing opposing opinions.

What's the verdict here, are the mini towers regarded as a nicely resolving speaker that just didn't satisfy the market, or are these dogs? Ive owned and heard a number of LS3/5a variants (including originals) and these sound right to me, but maybe I'm missing some of the magic of the larger hallmark models (like the 2.5)
 
IDK.
I was able to get a replacement mid/woofer for my Response 1sc from the US distributor. The US distributor has changed since I got my replacement driver but they may be able to help:


If you live in a bigger city there will be a speaker repair outfit that will most likely be able to repair the driver. The Speaker Exchange in Tampa is a reputable rebuilder.
 
They can be repaired! Give Bill LeGall a call at Miller sound! He repaired a ProAC Response 3.8 Woofer for me! It will be much cheaper than buying a replacement woofer for sure! Bill is a super honest guy and one of the best in the USA for repairing speakers! http://www.millersound.net/
Good catch! I have used Bill’s services and they are top shelf. No one is better.
 
After the first of the year my Response 3s are going to a new owner.
I'll be replacing them with a set of Response 3.5s...
 
Back
Top Bottom