• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ProAc Owners Thread

Planning to audition a pair of Proac Response DT8 floorstanders, I’ve been told that will be a significant step up from my 10 year old Elac FS247s, and will play well with my Naim Supernait 3. Anyone have the opportunity to listen to these speakers?
 
If you'll excuse one last question, how does it compare to your Chartwell LS3/5A?
 
If you'll excuse one last question, how does it compare to your Chartwell LS3/5A?
I love the Graham Chartwell’s and they are my reference. Showed the little Harbeth’s the door. The Tab 10’s are very much a ProAc…very open in the midrange. What that sounds like is that they have a little less meat on the bone relative to tone. Still very good in that regard…that slightly less full quality feels like it opens a door into that upper mid area and gives a little more information. The Graham’s sound fuller and richer. The ProAc’s are leaner and can play louder. A very nice contrast to each other.
 
Well I just installed new tweeters for a speaker that has been out if production for almost 20 years it's refreshing to see ProAc still supports older models with the proper drivers. Hopefully that tradition continues.

Woofers changed in 2018 or 2019 with the proper ProAc stamped baskets, not off-the-shelf Scanspeak units.

Tweeters changed today (a child's finger found its way to a dome before Christmas)

98594E0F-474A-4118-A3F0-57EC55EDBB3C.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 8C179D1A-ABB9-4D4D-9424-7B385088194C.jpeg
    8C179D1A-ABB9-4D4D-9424-7B385088194C.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I read that they charge an arm and a leg. I have a blown woofer in 2S, but read that it’s over $400 for a single.
 
I read that they charge an arm and a leg. I have a blown woofer in 2S, but read that it’s over $400 for a single.

In Canadian dollars my woofers were around 350 or 375, but that was 5 years ago. You just need to figure out if you can find a nicer sounding speaker than your 2S's for a little over 400 bucks.
 
The Proac Response 2.5's are Outstanding speakers.. and I've owned from Altec 604's to Zu.. towering Beveridge's to small low # LS3/5a's. Only speakers I like more than 2.5's are the 3.8's.. but moving into current tiny cabin forced their sale. (btw..not impressed with newer ribbon tw models)
Hang onto those 2.5's. Your Speaker Quest is over.. of course you may have to buy a different house for the 2.5's to fully bloom. :<)
 
Last edited:
The Proac Response 2.5's are Outstanding speakers.. and I've had from Altec 604's to Zu.. towering Beveridge's to small low # LS3/5a's. Only speakers I like more are the 3.8's.. but moving into current tiny cabin forced their sale.
Hang onto those 2.5's. Your Speaker Quest is over.. of course you may have to buy a different house for the 2.5's to fully bloom. :<)

Yes, it's the main reason I decided to invest a little bit more into these rather than spend a lot more on new speakers. Once you get them placed right it's simply about the music.
 
When Proac spkrs have drivers and xover operating within spec but overall are not sounding good.. #1 cause usually is the final amp.. incompatable, overdue for service, serviced but used cheap parts.. esp signal path coupling caps. Proacs driven by an incompatable Hot trans amp like Dynaco 410 are horrible. Plug in a smoother trans amp like Sansui Eight.. (not an analytical 9090db) suddenly you have better spkrs. Plug in McIntosh tube MC30 or 60 amps.. your spkrs strangely have improved. #2 has to be spkr angle, height (considering dispersion), spkr placement and room acoustics. E.g. Rear ported 2.5's against a wall = disaster. Hardwood floors, bare wallboard, no rugs, no drapes.. don't blame the Proacs. #3 prob the phono stylus... worn out, incorrect VTA, stylus pressure too light, cartridge alignment. #4 inappropriate preamp. #5 unblended thumping subwoofer... esp on 1SC's or tabbies. #6 Partner shouting "Turn it Down !" ... and #7 reason your Proacs sound bad.. your $pendy Pinot Noir is too Cold. Room temp in Southern France with fresh air flowing through the open windows can be 80 degrees or more... not your air conditioned 68.

Surround your Proacs with beauty.. and their magic will be released.
 
Last edited:
Glad to see this and thanks for this thread.
I heard ProAcs decades ago and yesterday, I finally snagged a pair of ProAc Response 3s in rosewood cabinets. Pics are below.
The restoration is in progress.They woofer surrounds were blown. The adhesive was scraped off. The continuity of all four woofers is gratefully good. Surrounds are on order. Plinth design (mdf) is planned.
More to follow.
upload_2023-3-8_14-50-31.jpeg upload_2023-3-8_14-51-0.jpeg upload_2023-3-8_14-51-24.jpeg
 
One tweeter is not working. It seems that this part, an XEPOTUS 8OUJ250 SP6259, has failed.
Any idea where I can find one? And what is it?
Thanks.
IMG-2346.jpg
 
Here's the crossover in my 3s:

7xwuLPGQNJ6pPlJxqELDY5zSqzlnN5aOzRX6zd0KZfSDzZ6Jt_0-gZ1Nllkay4_Yc0DzOj0ibVj2LYDj6qVea9aMXD0iAhjGPqHZQJrTAJWET9K9FVvlYpzfQO3BUcEQ4vxMQQ80wJiqfUmE57o6KA5A-NsZ04qtjdPi-H0r4jGTJwWHQgvtoYX_OVHbgvTio6JWNYcwBY5l5a-wGnJO5VUhAzYs6VZ7mR_qAcdqaeqoURZPquoFUXsaRzWGZBZZsbNCboxn-VZXxttXhEmHtTWzeE3PaeTeV0--iKaeSlZ4jQ_nyzW4Ail63ZXEHbM3NtgyU-HQ3qcidNZZBGjPsvoGZ_Jeki7qRAgw3rq02HLCUkPN6kv3JGAvUZ2g8x9EqiJ6EZ3hDnDyjhnnQwhzrtajNvwxa7aTjVt5Bjaf2ImVLAzK2hxHFOjsnKYgwmq8LDrcVwcJC2LyANKvgc4cFym8YQUVvVpYqwRiuVTp1wrplePP0TS64UKjGrs8awz9fRqh8OY9W91YyFrlH6R63XO1wmDWrYwg5fbO_evifffe4DaC2p0KFcyDrAhxK3ewlWvQxW4NT_ZzQTSz6BSxgcYMCKFfgGzfyiGwry3sDquhXpMNphxGiZAOiqYtzzNLrix9PGkOBm_SXgHhFV8D7K_6XG3y60JvUZIJZ2Wrrg0zq0SmqEXv4uLrmN_h1_e1_S2t7x9MnapxUrfbMp6yjfmgpycz5Z4NJJIVe3PcICsu44jNatJd7v_xZaxFc-8-z99uDOps7XFmIxO7BsOd6fhzYpseGEzWllU0Bc5M3qpdOfd0FUiQ_ey0609VGbD7Xqs0oskVQ3zc58FEWwNn8LXvcJ6ROhxA00f_yoDwtdwftmc4zn3BWNgp7vU_yEWXOiNwhYQNsY_tgQ9-XgCprkUmLOLArWYSgWcTOORnO_n6QuhL=w2124-h1593-no
 
Back
Top Bottom