• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ProAc Owners Thread

Hey guys. I’ve discovered that all 4 drivers have ripped/deteriorated foam surrounds. Speakers still sound great at lower volume, but they “rattle” at high volume. And I can’t help but to think that all that air blowing past the rips is taking away from the sound. I’ve done foam replacement kits in the past with great results, but these are the highest quality speakers I’ve ever had and am looking for a little direction. Thanks in advance

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/proac-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-6.5-4.html
 
Hi guys please excuse my ignorance, i'm still a relative newbie
I've recently purchased blind (fleaby) a pair of ProAc response 1s speakers, Db1 or 1sc will have to wait until funds allow.
Can anyone give me some information on these i.e date of manufacture? the serial no is P 09459
I've been told they are lacking somewhat in the bass, does anyone use/recommend a subwoofer?if so which one?

The speakers will be paired up with Roksan Caspian M2 cd player, intergrated amp and power amp, and Logic dm101 turntable

look forward to the replies

thanks guys!
 
Early 90’s

Yeah, they only reach (flat) down to about 70Hz, but some useable output a little lower. Captures voices and most instruments wonderfully, but miss the lower octave of piano and bass. You may not miss it too much depending on your music tastes. Subs are always tricky to integrate, and if your budget is strained I’d just forget the cheap ones that tend to be muddy or boomy, and live with just the speakers until you can afford a decent one. But plenty of good choices in the $500-1000 range … FWIW, I researched SVS and Rhythmik a lot, and I just bought an SVS SB1000.
 
I refoamed all 4 drivers and what a difference! These speakers sounded phenomenal before with crumbled foam surrounds, but now they are incredible. I've never owned a speaker of this caliber, what an absolute treat! I hear tracks I never knew existed in all sorts of recordings. Mick jagger is, seemingly, constantly babbling in the background of stones songs. I hear guitars I never knew existed. And the staging, wow!
 
Thanks for the reply, as far as subs go i was thinking of maybe a REL T7i
I used to work for Universal music some years back until they closed the manufacturing plant and in doing so my taste in music broadened quite a lot. I do like to Hans Zimmer but the list can be broad and wide in any given session
i'm based in the UK by the way

John
 
John,
Congrads on joining the ProAc cult... you will forever have at least one pair. The 1s is a fine first treat. I have tried several subs on various tabbies and 1sc's and never was happy with results. It may have been the 14x26 (?) large room... but the subwoofer bass always seemed seperate. Gave up and bought Response 3.8's... giganormous improvement. But... kept 50 Signature's, 50's with 1sc mid/woofers, Tablette 2000's and couple other tabbies. If you have Smaller room where you spend a lot of time.. office, art room, bedroom, kitchen.. the 1s or other compact ProAc are purrrfect. But... as a girlfriend once said.. "Don't ask for what I am not able to give." Small speakers cannot convincingly reproduce a cathederal pipe organ.

With patience you could find pr of ProAc Response 2.5's for well under $2,000. They are smallish floorstanders that can provide a room filling top to bottom sound. Tube amps are really best with any of the older classic ProAc spkrs.. Stereo 70, 8b, MC240, etc. The only transistor amps that have the relaxed warm sound appropriate for extended ProAc listening are the 1970's Sansui xxx, AU and B series. Perhaps an acceptable step down would be cap coupled 22xx Marantz from same era. You will find your 1s spkrs respond to careful gear matching... and with any small spkrs, room placement cannot be overemphacized. It's all fun to mix and match .. and the weakest link will never be your ProAc's.
 
Last edited:
Rapide
I've had to sell my AudioVector Mi3 floor standers .... grandkids with pokey little fingers, my wife struggled to move them when i'm not at home.
Most Uk homes on average tend to having living rooms around 12ftx15ft (we're not as big as you over the pond) :rflmao:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324667651068?hash=item4b97b333fc:g:c~0AAOSwZXdgwBmP

Unfortunately i've dont have any brownie points in the wifes bank for these now :rflmao:
 
Last edited:
That 14x26 living room long gone. Currently 11x18 with only 6' 11" ceiling in tiny 1930's cabin. Your extended family comes first... floorstanders later.
The REL sub was best of bunch... happy for the experience. I still would like to find an extinct (cheap) TBI Systems Magellan SU subwoofer.. only 14.5" x 14.5" x 5".. small flat sub... for a bedroom with modified tab 50's.

Some moderm amps have Sub Out.. or Center Channel Out. You could buy a seperate crossover.. like early Audio Research.. and a cheap box woofer.. like older Acoustic Research AR-1W. You don't need to spend 1200£ on a subwoofer to gain experience.

Have fun !
Rapide

Photo 1: Dynaco PAS3 & ST-70 rotation w/ 2.5's. Next will be Sansui 777a integrated amp or Sansui 881 60 watt rcvr w/2.5's. I had to stick socks in the rear ports as tooo close to the wall.
Photo 2: ProAc Future Point Fives's still in boxes...decided not appropriate for my cabin.. no suitable location... will be listing for sale soon.
Photo 3: Point Five's, not good against a wall as Tyler's open back design.
 

Attachments

  • 20200619_164315.jpg
    20200619_164315.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210702_134502.jpg
    20210702_134502.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210802_140922.jpg
    20210802_140922.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Loved my Studio 150’s … lusted after 3.8’s but never scored a pair. There will be ProAc’s in the house again someday.
 
BTW, for SS think they play very nicely with Plinius or Audio Research. The dealer near me in the 90’s main lines were those and NHT … but was always driving with TOTL Marantz receivers, but I always knew you could do much better.
 
I love my Proac D30R speakers, but, I will say that they struggle to get to 90db with a 100wattt tube or solid state amplifier. I'm baffled by the lack of room "pressurization" with either amp types. I have tried another preamp but it is also 12db gain. I do not know if that is part of the problem. I also tried B&W 804 Matrix speakers with similar results. Any thoughts?
 
I love my Proac D30R speakers, but, I will say that they struggle to get to 90db with a 100wattt tube or solid state amplifier. I'm baffled by the lack of room "pressurization" with either amp types. I have tried another preamp but it is also 12db gain. I do not know if that is part of the problem. I also tried B&W 804 Matrix speakers with similar results. Any thoughts?

How big is your room ?
 
I love my Proac D30R speakers, but, I will say that they struggle to get to 90db with a 100wattt tube or solid state amplifier. I'm baffled by the lack of room "pressurization" with either amp types.

How are you measuring?
You should be able to get to 100 dBs with 100w.
 
I've searched the internet far and wide and cannot find a single audio forum with a ProAc owners thread.

Sooo, after owning and listening to several very good Canadian speakers from PSB, Paradigm and Energy I took a blind leap into a beautiful looking pair of ProAc Response 2.5 's. The difference from what I was used to hearing was almost like someone opening a window to let the music in. I'd love to be able to hear some of their current offerings.

Would be nice to hear about other ProAc owners experiences and what they used before or after ProAcs.

Restored 2.5's back in the 90's. Beautiful finish and all but their most outstanding component was the fabulous ScanSpeak D10 tweeter. They were worth $100 a pop OEM and anyone who builds and/or restore speakers know that's a damn high figure. ProAc used them as is, without any mods save for the ProAc lettering on the flange. On my scale they were second only to the Dynaudio Esotar which is only used on $$$ esoteric brands like Totem Acoustics and such. The D10 cost three times less (Esotar for all its qualities was still grossly overpriced) but sounded just as good when properly implemented, like it was on the 2.5 (and maybe the 3.5 as well but not 100% sure). It was the only tweeter I could crossover on a two-way design using a 1rst-order over third-order configuration without overlapping issues provided first-class Xover components with narrow tolerances be used. I used mostly Solen but Musicap and such got the job done just as well. I chose Solen mainly because they were more affordable due to currency exchange rate between USD and CAD. ProAc engineers did an outstanding job extracting all the juice from those drivers.
 
Hey how have I not found this thread before?! Proac owners assemble!

I’ve owned a pair of Tablette 50 Signature for about 8 years now, second owner. I fell in love with them before I even heard them. They’re the most beautifully designed bookshelf speakers ever, imo. It’s weird, there ain’t all that much to be creative with when designing a bookshelf speaker, but damn this is the benchmark.

My chain is Tab 50 Sigs - Rega Brio R - Thorens TD-2001 and the output is so sweet and pure. But along the years I’ve wondered what a bit more bass would sound like. And started looking for subwoofer options. I’ve gathered that the Tablettes aren’t the easiest speakers to find a matching sub for. So when I found this thread I signed up to ask this question, and hopefully get stuck here for other Proac related shenanigans.

So, does anybody own the 50 Sigs, and a subwoofer that fits the bill?

Oh, I should add that my amp does not have a dedicated sub out.

Fingers crossed!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom