• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Problem with my Rega P3-24

factorplayer

Active Member
My table has run flawlessly for years but now something has come up. Over the last week or so I've noticed pitch instability that was occasional at first, but now is near constant and playback is utterly unlistenable. Clearly the platter isn't spinning at the correct speed but I'm not sure where the root of the issue, I'm hoping it's something simple like a weak spot on the belt - any advice please?
 
Register to hide this ad
yep +1 on the belt and bearing oil. The oil Rega use is quite thick, hypoid gear oil SAE 90w. Don't use light sewing machine oil it's too thin. You will only need 3 or 4 drops.
 
yep +1 on the belt and bearing oil. The oil Rega use is quite thick, hypoid gear oil SAE 90w. Don't use light sewing machine oil it's too thin. You will only need 3 or 4 drops.

Cool, the belt is easy enough, what is involved with oiling the bearing? Sounds straightforward just haven't done it before.
 
Lift off the platter and sub platter. I use a straw to pick the bearing out of the well. Then use a q-tip or four to make sure the well is perfectly clean. Then replace the bearing (after cleaning it as well). 3 drops of oil in the well and one on the sub platter shaft. Reassemble and you're done. I redo mine once a year. Planar 3 with Tangospinner sub and groovetracer platter. (lots of other mods as well :D)
 
I doubt a P3-24 really needs a relube. Most likely it's just the belt IMHO. Remove it and wash it it in warm soapy water, dry in a paper towel. Clean the pulley guide and subplatter rim with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip and reassemble gingerly, so as to minimize the amount of oils transferred from your fingertips. If it plays better, much better, just buy a new belt.
 
I doubt a P3-24 really needs a relube. Most likely it's just the belt IMHO. Remove it and wash it it in warm soapy water, dry in a paper towel. Clean the pulley guide and subplatter rim with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip and reassemble gingerly, so as to minimize the amount of oils transferred from your fingertips. If it plays better, much better, just buy a new belt.

Well I hear what you are saying but I think it would surprise you just how much crud collects in those simple Rega bearings over the years. Mine I've had for the better part of 30 years and every time I clean the bearing it's never dirt free and that's in a smoke free environment. JM2C
 
The thrust washer is usually a Delrin flat disc that is on the bottom of the platter bearing well. This disc will eventually wear a dimple in it and interfere with platter rotation and maybe the cause for your erratic rotation...... Not for sure, but it is an item to check.
 
I doubt a P3-24 really needs a relube. Most likely it's just the belt IMHO. Remove it and wash it it in warm soapy water, dry in a paper towel. Clean the pulley guide and subplatter rim with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip and reassemble gingerly, so as to minimize the amount of oils transferred from your fingertips. If it plays better, much better, just buy a new belt.

Man, sounds like that did it, thanks for the suggestion! And now I can be ready to check that thrust washer and change the oil too :)
 
Last edited:
My dealer and Sound Org always suggested to me to replace the bearing oil annually. With mu current VPI Aries 3X3 they suggest annual lube also.
 
Back
Top Bottom