• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Project: SX-1250 (2nd Take)

I Should Stop Buying Vintage Units - What is My Problem?

  • Sick

  • Not Right Upstairs

  • Sucker to For What Lots of Folks Refer to as Junk

  • Easily Hypnotised By Brushed Aluminum


Results are only viewable after voting.
Film caps don't usually fail, unless there is a darn good reason to change them I would leave them alone. That is not a high voltage circuit that might have punched a hole through the dielectric film. Factory changes during production (unless major) almost never make it into field documentation.
 
I was thinking about better sound quality with the polypropylene cap . This cap is the input on the base of the first differential pair transistor .

>>>>>> It appears Pioneer may have had a parts shortage on this run. The 470 caps on this board caps are different one is the LL yellow and one the standard black color. Made July 1977 .
Wonder why the change from 2.2uf to 1uf .
 
Last edited:
Maybe a parts shortage, the -3db point is about 1 Hz for the 2.2µF, and about 3.5Hz for the 1µF if I calculated it correctly. Can't see any frequency response reason to change, they are just dc blockers.
 
Final Pics:
oJgdlxLpdFWMhjU58lfNRj0CCjVJ3zLlatggzuqBwiOH3b3TqUMip16hsya0GUgbud_Ut5vAUu64qRl1d0rEPV7VB_vfm2vZYSHQcHVqvlzrAfiEQF_d_ORjfOdCRlavZfhhYxzV5VFLId35gx-Zlu2kyPzf0JthbLAMX1_nZVem4g4h3GldibLNqu6SaVoK9yViIqsvKeTnauqvlNYgra3DXRDd2Be8g73V0N_oBipZs7aaRPwy6fBu06C5GPMTGEXU5cI04IF54qIJPpYUOfV9ioG6W_MoSYEgAnFpTAkbEUbdtbqweiOUasBX0M8BrAevmR1XXOdUayaG2Wt7Nfbx631GF_PlATwSwy9JgkKf0-Bw-qTAsE8y-32wDU6v5W-nEYOpCxKzXGGqljeDedit3MHTPH5MviM1aQe8iKZ2tfXEhs3JXZ-xZKOaVq_FJ2KmYngTAxmFZQad6xS98S_1FNr52q2W4d2piPHwZUpv4n4QhoXk8XrfFsf1RhTnk6j8XHWQaZKaweZkDE9UFQgWg_kvJGBt0XCxwNFyADempEmoaZ8ykhxp--Dt2OuXj8uP3Jhxg468TEFcH7AeNynlVg6eRzUOnzvcgApkCw0CbJ3gsULxW4a1482LXDWFZ6kZMy04Bjdlp3K2kNalHT36K5XJrpDY11xxN_hy2bZAMSOwZ9vSzEs_AlOu6ffJnJUKl97jC_PmvankBHNnrQHO=w1147-h861-no

Rr0aniid3l1KYf0pPST4EpvlpAZ7IMsrkv70UV4LLv8ZiuQlok23W0p6gUar5VgSgZ3fAmgtk8_1rTJ1GEnPGz19g7u6S1jwItHCtg2R2Lpj7orLraJv5B2nJExYPxDaVKaM7MhXgrAUmDr88LAT84iAWLUJZGZferMaA43b-ZBPQX-BHUmu195v7KUnyYpeHpDBhO0q56jbOHXlkizvCXYNrwxddHU8qmdmxwJa6wfta7GQSDmBtNFwtXBbD5hI-XeuGGNVMKFVdO71DxjAObby1MwnR9wUMzns8U81CG9v95to5rannUOPxSefd73uH53W8wRYUsy3PEsJ_Kh6QrweKT_TR7-u9wBloV9yJWpnxwaWuK0kXyIcUjXy4G_JySJmu1p1s_wEzzxLXp2c2Gew_cBZVW9mBSbJ6Xt8d83DTgyRddmvfFIH178ff2Yc-nGddWEKiPGXV2mCRM5meQcR0cqIGIj5zTNZ6gFk5RNRWf_qkEnVlid66NzmlxPlM92h_L4cjGfAkgTtx2x1IwolA5LhS-dIigooYMAs5CgiIEOnqnCFrmUzXCra8OsejJNlfBvpn3TBUrI8jXh575Nnd5_jRc2qBbC7WISQXRV4lDrKKXHkHARUjDms9zV2encALXOWQbYWfErSBJCO89o6wCq8THN1K4PuZnsO50Q6E0r045pgzGPYLh1cYuVrkBWGZaTLmynQqdPt60waVG8f=w1147-h861-no


oMNSy_VpkME72TwXZCng8rm1HogqQDoBwN7jJjoeKMN3ShY4gvFNLZr7X3RO2w_lK_TeQo9-HwKGNtf-90N-flmktVMsiubHHrsRD2JhPCbcSrRD47VuIKzOpV8E0Ihjjlmb_54Wnc75wKIAI0hMzqjpgj9Mf5iIJidtBJevLFixHySBuomi5jOBTk1sCHsDVRtwr439_ExxM3jYvgrnv619WgOjpoUUTe4h2K9d9TykYnac8SCP3LlCu78EOx2Deog_rAf0dKfMgLo8w1scUoUdnPRAu7Ufajg-PuYCreNTlC-cRVMOchIE1JRwBQ72eWyWjMGNfrnmXxTSuaHXf65Gi7vVVAChGRbTfmFinEzZCjIp0gqb7d0EWPHJS6WIulUX8u0TBbgvD4GE9nB-m5Lh2WJ8H-fMG7HZk26_k84FoaWDLWEijUQyk-pwsRy-1etXWXLRQltgSrU7bOC9VynWrnF3WG48v7WXsp1MlvCNk1-8h1IQYaHAbqbPwarq-LbnzlylrfxEgAQ12lPAcLAkxmEm1HSfkPvfLvKx427jbBOZm9n165WMNLepBKOvuCJ2PRgu6tTxm6UxFkmwwWLExdgUzulIAx7FvjMpwO9HHF2QhzPAjJVFsbGcT5pD87NA-PsFxBAL56p4AYXTq7Svr09W_t1OzoNsdXyIokiwkXTLEk_8ddOzrZpNqCN1fF_Qjo4GHt7wYCDsXyeQJsNJ=w1147-h861-no


9yguiXT_EhlErhaNenOaY4rmDs_NpuPMyOJzZVPn14tcqDNSJdHzL73UgByYY07QSVu9Hhd-pLZWRYMkJ_dlUKCP000N8E3TJznERe4aPRptdp7bhQD8n9TZKUj7PoukIUqL12fHoMXF7WZ0-21y348r3awnjFLZlMsAXRWNh8e0ngPZDjv-LSf71jUTV_h0oIbhFuv9fr_sxl-MPS8AcRfw6Kr6CBFG_Tm_Qf9j5oz48zcHG8XPGCntfn1a0FiqCWS94AEj1JgDt2PrpCcI4Oq_6ZYFgZhtUp4UR6qqaaRFeRroLTGd7KG2aZQKyTDaB2HdLYqS9w0b4cHMgUScy4JVu6301oQXRmoFUfYwl9vI66LhUUHowZi77kihRO2CGspvnu0daoNOnHwC0DlJcTRPpEX56O6z8uFHt81stvAtcavCFhTsd8Dh7rBB3dj5ky7i871nDHQDZCzkmuqxKnQMo9NSt8a7znkrq-IwRKxfeDh01IelodeIPhlL6tIgtoL2McOBJLW82Uf0JjAYuqzNP34lkj3XR8NJXjv0yHsHCfWkjQItfmLhm76ZpXeXqjrrk4W-dBLMgOp-XQOeKguwsKMoy-DmKkCaTm0o_bbLQDw1ZgUbxiZzQN72_4eMPgaXF1R46pzym3WpgH7xqdDSZPRUTiY3DF24QF5-1L2RaZfLbU9FwcLPpteKxhVRlPXEUt1YGlf7DHLN3k3JiPtk=w1147-h861-no


Looks as good as it sounds. Hope these posts inspire some folks to rebuild their SX-xx50 receivers.

Best Regards & Thanks for Viewing.

My Goodness, that is beautiful. What a labor of love.
 
Rumble? Rumble filtering? (phono)
That is as good a thought as I could come up with. When I got my NEW SX-1050, I also got a Garrard Zero100c. I bought a copy of Dark Side of the Moon that had a warped edge, like it had leaned at an angle in a hot environment. When I played it I could see the woofers motoring in and out on my Infinity Column II speakers. When I took it back for replacement the shop owner put it on his shop system and his woofers did not move. I am guessing that was about a 3Hz signal, but it was about a 1/4" hump in the vinyl. :dunno:
 
I'm done working on the boards time recheck and reassemble this Sx1250 and DBT test it . I did find a few discrepancies with tuner board BOM . C33,C48 . By looking at the finished tuner board picture they appear to be typo's.
 
I am restoring another SX-1250. I am at the equalizer board, what do you think about using one 10uf BP (ES) cap for the two 22uf back-to-back tantalum caps? FYI, I measured. The tantalum caps and they're @ 200uf.and 100uf, I used to different testers. I thought it was displaying NF. it wasn't.
 
I won't need the 50V ratting that the back-to-back caps have? I don't want play around with the uF I'm not sure what it will change.
 
Last edited:
When your are talking components in a design, specify the exact ones on the schematic, BOM rather than guessing what ones you are referring to
the two 22uf back-to-back tantalum caps meaning, C25,26,30,31, two 22uF/16V in series = 11.5uF/32V
if you want BP, then use 22uF/35V, 647-UES1V220MPM, its not currently EOL
https://www.mouser.ca/c/passive-com...citors-radial-leaded/?q=UES&capacitance=22 uF
Nothing wrong with using two UKL back to back either, need to check what's available now
This is the list I have, it old, probably derived from Mark and others, many Nichicon could be EOL, its been years
AWF-021-A: C11: 470uF 6.3v CEANL: 647-UKL1C471KPD 470uF 16v
AWF-021-A: C12: 470uF 6.3v CEANL: 647-UKL1C471KPD 470uF 16v
AWF-021-A: C17: 3.3uF 50v CEANL: 647-UKL1H3R3KDDANA 3.3uF 50v 505-MKS2B043301H00KI
AWF-021-A: C18: 3.3uF 50v CEANL: 647-UKL1H3R3KDDANA 3.3uF 50v 505-MKS2B043301H00KI
AWF-021-A: C25: 22uF 16v CSZA: 647-UKL1V220KEDANA 22uF 35v
AWF-021-A: C26: 22uF 16v CSZA: 647-UKL1V220KEDANA 22uF 35v
AWF-021-A: C27: 220uF 63v CEA: 667-EEU-FC1J221 220uF 63v
AWF-021-A: C28: 220uF 63v CEA: 667-EEU-FC1J221 220uF 63v
AWF-021-A: C29: 100uF 35v CEA: 667-EEU-FM1H101 100uF 50v
AWF-021-A: C30: 22uF 16v CSZA: 647-UKL1V220KEDANA 22uF 35v
AWF-021-A: C31: 22uF 16v CSZA: 647-UKL1V220KEDANA 22uF 35v
AWF-021-A: C32: 100uF 35v CEA: 667-EEU-FM1H101 100uF 50v
 
Right If two 22uf /16v =11.5uf /32v Shouldn't I use one 10uf /35V BP? Is 35V really needed here? What is the advantage of using back-to-back? I'm thinking a 10uf BP cap was too costly in 1978 and a film cap just too big. I thought I was clear on what caps, I'll put the numbers next time.
 
I stayed with the four 22uf/35v for C25,26, C30,31 .
I do have an DC offset problem. The DC offset is low but is fluctuating fast and I get a split second spike that gets higher over time, 15mV so far. My differential pairs hfe on the amps inputs are close within 6 or 7 points. Defeating the tone controls helps. Checking my work, any ideas?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom