• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

PSB CS-180...good price?

TwoHardCore

So Long AK, and Thanks
I'm wondering what the perceived value is on this odd PSB speaker. They're odd because the series was limited to 2 speakers, CS-180 & CS-260, and they never continued them. These have a 1" textile dome tweeter and a 8" poly woofer in a rather large box. These are also some of the very few PSB's that have real wood veneer.

Another member got some a couple years ago, but that thread died, so I'm not sure how well received they were...There is a pair available locally that look to be in good shape, but I don't know if the price is too high. Asking $150. Based on what I got my other speakers for (40mkII, 1000i, 40R, 70R etc) over the past year, the price might be a bit rich...? (don't get me wrong, I know the speakers are worth the asking price but, well you know) :scratch2:

I have a pair of 50mkII's which use the same woofer as the CS-180, and they are one of my favorite speakers (only pulling surround duty though) to listen to. I was thinking of adding these to a pair of 40mkII's in the rear for a pretty killer 4.0 system...?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Cheers,

THC
 
Register to hide this ad
You are pretty much on the right track as far as I am concerned. I used to sell PSB speakers and currently own some 30R, 400, 500 and 800. The 30R were given to me by my brother in law the others cost me $60, $60 and $110 pr. And those ones are FAMOUS compared to the CS series which came and went fast. So yes, they are worth the $150, but the seller might not be able to get that for them.

Whay would I do? Keep an eye on the ad, if it stays up for any length of time try offering $100. That puts them in line with what I have been paying and would not constitute a lowball offer.

The only thing to watch out for on that series is the composite front panel unbonding from the rest of the cabinet. If memory serves they might have been available in vinyl with real wood veneer an option, which would be more desirable.

Let us know how it works out.
 
Well it looks like $100 is the right price. I spoke with the seller and just now need to arrange for a lift with a friend and a truck on Sunday. I don't think these will fit in a Neon :dunno:.

I paid $60 a couple months ago for a pair of Dynaco A25's, which actually suffer in comparison to my PSB 40R and 40MKII (both are 2-way and similar sized to the A25's). So I have no objection to the price I'll pay for these big 2-way bad boys. I'm sure I'll like/love the sound of them, as they are very similar spec-wise to the 50MKII's (better bass on-axis with the CS-180s). I'll just need to find a place to put and use them...I feel like Paul & Sue Barton have me whipped! :whip:

Here's some stats for the AK collective:
CS 180 Floor Standing

Freq. Response:
35-21,000Hz
40-20,000Hz - on axis @ 0° (± 1.5 dB)
40-15,000Hz - off axis @ 30° (± 3.0 dB)
30Hz - LF cutoff (-10.0 dB)

Sensitivity:
89dB (anechoic)
91dB (typical listening room)

Impedance:
6 Ohms (nominal)
5 Ohms (minimum)

Input Power:
10 to 250 Watts (recommended)
150 Watts (Program)

Drivers:
1" (25mm) Treated Cloth Dome with Ferrofluid
8" (200mm) Mineral Filled Polypropolene Woofers

Crossover:
2,000Hz Third Order Butterworth

Size:
35.5" x 13.5" x 11.25"
(90.2 x 34.3 x 28.6cm)

Weight:
45.5lbs (21kg) each

Finish:
Black or Dark-oak Wood Veneer

Unique *RIM Polyurethane Front Panel
(Reaction Injection Molding)


At least I have some free time tonight/tomorrow to start re-arranging my stuff to make room for these. :yes:

Cheers,

THC
 
Good for you. We want a full report with pictures when you get them!

Sad non-story....turns out I wasn't "allowed" to buy these big beasts...

However today, I reconciled things by buying a much "smaller" item, I got an Arcam AVR100 for $80, and I love the sound of it! Ya win some, ya lose some.

THC
 
Back
Top Bottom