• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pulled the trigger- Sony SCD-777ES on the way

Nice.... Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the two. If I have time this weekend, I'll do a comparison between all three, SCD-1, SCD-777es, & XA5400es and report back.
 
Too bad about the outcome of this - is there any update Mike? That's an impressive looking machine; I didn't even know Sony made top-loader CD players.

I wonder if you might be better off buying a new Marantz SACD player in the ~$1k range, at this point.
 
Well spent the week with a XA5400 that belongs to a co worker buddy of mine. I must say it is a well rounded player. Red book sounds great through it. I am on the fence about its 2 channel SACD play back, However multi channel sounds awesome which seems to be the same conclusion Aker Herr Eickhorn has come to in his thread. I was really hoping to do a side by side comparison of this unit and the SCD 777, but it looks like this unit will be going back home before my 777 arrives. A shame really. I did have an XA9000es here a few weeks ago though, A loaner from my repair tech who was working on my soon to be retired sony x777es. to me the results were the opposite of the XA5400es. The XA9000es did a great job on SACD 2 channel and multi channel tracks but fell short when compared to a few tried and true redbook players I own on regular CD. The XA5400es loads faster then most other Sony's I have demo'd as well, Though not as fast as a Marantz SA8003 or SA11s1. I have a strange loyalty to Sony when it comes to SACD and Cd players in my systems. I can see me purchasing an XA5400es, But that won't be for a while yet. I can't wait to get the SCD 777.
 
The Sony 777 stock is a good sounding machine. The 777 with the very best mods out there is in a whole different class, which is capable of putting some of the very best analog and digital front ends to shame.
 
I am thinking of getting a second hand Sony SCD-777ES but I am afraid of not finding its laser assembly if things goes wrong.

Does anybody know it it's laser assembly is still available for replacement?
 
I am thinking of getting a second hand Sony SCD-777ES but I am afraid of not finding its laser assembly if things goes wrong.

Does anybody know it it's laser assembly is still available for replacement?

Quoted from http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=238117

Your laser sled assembly has probably failed. Or more specifically, the SACD laser went bad. This is the part you'd likely need: A6062396A.

On the internet it is mentioned that this part number corresponds to the laser pickup KHS-180A .

There is a related discussion on the laser life issues of this player here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/75996-sony-777es-laser.html

PS: an eBay seller from Taiwan charges about 160 $ for the laser assembly (picture taken from the auction site).

afa5_1.JPG
 
Last edited:
The Black Beauty arrived!!!

My SCD-777 arrived today and I am like a kid who just recieved another add on piece to his toy train set. First off I will say that the SCD-777 is HEAVY. It sounds great and just has a presence of its own. Sonically I like what I am hearing. I will reserve my opinion until I have spent some more time with it. Off the bat though, I like it more on SACD then the SCD-XA5400es but less on red-book. Well that's just initially anyway. It blows the SCD-XA9000es out of the water though. Load time seems a bit long. I will try to report back with better developed impressions after I put it through its paces. It sure is a looker in a zen sort of way in total contrast to the Scott it is connected to.
 
Dear Guiller,

It's very kind of you .Thank you very much indeed.

Regards,



Quoted from http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=238117

Your laser sled assembly has probably failed. Or more specifically, the SACD laser went bad. This is the part you'd likely need: A6062396A.

On the internet it is mentioned that this part number corresponds to the laser pickup KHS-180A .

There is a related discussion on the laser life issues of this player here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/75996-sony-777es-laser.html

PS: an eBay seller from Taiwan charges about 160 $ for the laser assembly (picture taken from the auction site).

afa5_1.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom