• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

[Purchase Advice] Bluenote or Rega

dastinger

Member
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about finally upgrading my P1 and need to study my options. I was inclined to Regas because I love the look and sound of them, but I found a pretty sweet deal on a Bluenote Villa Bellavista (Borromeo arm).

Now, I had never heard about Bluenote before, but the deck looks lovely and it originally retailed for a pretty steep price.

I can get a used Rega P5, a new Planar 3 or the used Bluenote for around the same price. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
If I were spending my dollars earned from this summers Farm Stand?

I would take the Bellavista. No I have not heard one. But from the construction particulars, this sounds like a well sorted turntable.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue5/bellavista.htm

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-bluenote-bellavista-signature-turntable

Of course its a bit of an adventure, off the well worn path of a Rega purchase. For some that may not appeal, to others the discovery of what if is worth taking. If you get it at a good price, I think you would be able to experience it, and if its not for you then reselling it would result in a minimal financial loss...if any. But of course its your risk.

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
I'd be inclined to get the Rega because of the potential for it hold its value and its tweakability. I'm becoming more convinced over time that many of us in this hobby look for regular change in equipment, even when we wish otherwise. If you are likely to be a gear switcher, then buying equipment that holds value may be important for you. I have at times looked at Rega tables and consistently find that there are few great deals to be found on them. They hold their value, whether one likes them or not. So, if you get the P3 and decide to move along later, you'll get much of your money back out of it. As much as I've been a "value" hobbyist to date, I tend to take a significant haircut on gear that I move because it hasn't held value.
 
I would get the Bluenote. Rega's are everywhere if you ever want one. But, I would wager that you won't stumble across a Bluenote again on the used market anytime soon.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=bluenote+bellavista

Currently showing 0 available in N.America used on Hifishark.

Also, I like Unipivots over Rega arms. I have not experienced the RB700 on the P5, but I would thing the Borromeo would wipe the floor with the RB330 on the new Planar 3 (based on my experience with RB 300 and 301's).
 
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about finally upgrading my P1 and need to study my options. I was inclined to Regas because I love the look and sound of them, but I found a pretty sweet deal on a Bluenote Villa Bellavista (Borromeo arm).

Now, I had never heard about Bluenote before, but the deck looks lovely and it originally retailed for a pretty steep price.

I can get a used Rega P5, a new Planar 3 or the used Bluenote for around the same price. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks!
I would go with a new Planar 3. I always prefer new over used. I like having a warranty, access to parts and service, and getting the full design life of the product I'm purchasing. Rega has said that their 'tables are expected to last 25 years; with a used turntable, I don't know how much of that life has been expended or if mishandling has compromised its sonic performance.

Another reason I have for choosing a new Planar 3 is how happy I've been with the previous generation Rega RP3. My Linn LP12/Ittok rig was getting along in years, and after 18 years of use my dealer noted the beginnings of wear to the main bearing (not surprising since Linn estimates a 20-year service life for this part). Even with the dealer's service write-up on the condition of my old LP12, it was able to be sold for more than enough to buy a new RP3, and, unlike the P3-24 that came before it, I found the RP3 to give me all sonic pleasure I needed from my records. I don't know whether I'd like the Bluenote's presentation or not. Without being able to audition it first, it's not a risk I'd care to take, especially since I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where I can get both in-store and in-home auditions of the Planar 3.

One other reason I'd go with the Planar 3 is that I've had the experience of owning a turntable with a belt that goes around the outside of the platter (a Well Tempered Record Player), and I found I simply didn't like that arrangement.
 
Back
Top Bottom