• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Purchase new reel to reel...

wwotr

Active Member
I'm putting together a sound system from my younger days.
It is turning out to be all Pioneer.
I was thinking of adding a Reel to Reel.
I grew up with them and asthetically they are just so cool.
I was wondering from the other members, how often you use YOUR Reel to Reels?
I know back then, they made "Pre-Recorded 7" R-T-R tapes, but do they still?

I'm looking at (2) Pioneer PIONEER RT-701 Reel-to-Reel's.
One is about $230.00 (plus $60.00 shipping) and the other is
$250.00 (and $60.00 shipping).
Are these a good deal as far as the Pioneer Reel to Reels go?
Thoughts/Comments???


If you have pictures of your set-up, that would be great, or if you have a Pioneer Reel to Reel your considering selling....I may be interested.
Thanks
Roger
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The Pioneer RT-7xx models are well-built and hold their value. That being said they do require maintenance and and belt replacements (counter belt). Common items tha do go wrong are capacitors, due to age. I bought one used, and the owner was not very true to their word on condition so I had to have work done to it. I am very happy with the end result though.
 
The few new pre-recorded reel to reels are 1/2 track, single direction Stereo and usually IEC EQ. Pioneer offered one model in that format with NAB EQ. The RT 2022. But those new Tape Project tapes are $300 a reel. And normally are played on Otari, Studer, and other pro studio tape machines. The RT 701 and 707 lines you are considering are 1/4 track, 2 direction Stereo machines. And nobody's offering new tapes yet in that format. For older pre-recorded 1/4 track tapes and for your own recording, these models are superb choices.
 
Those are fine decks, Id also look into some of the Teac models, A4300, A3440, , A7300, A6300, all of those are built like, you guessed it, like a tank. I am a big fan of these Teac decks, the sound quality is fantastic, I also find that they need a little less work then the Pioneer models.
 
aint necessarily so...

The few new pre-recorded reel to reels are 1/2 track, single direction Stereo and usually IEC EQ. Pioneer offered one model in that format with NAB EQ. The RT 2022. But those new Tape Project tapes are $300 a reel. And normally are played on Otari, Studer, and other pro studio tape machines. The RT 701 and 707 lines you are considering are 1/4 track, 2 direction Stereo machines. And nobody's offering new tapes yet in that format. For older pre-recorded 1/4 track tapes and for your own recording, these models are superb choices.

the Shins have a 7" reel recently released -- its a hundred bucks tho.
 
You can still get used 7" pre-recorded reels. If you buy used tape to record on, which is very common among R2R users, it's fun to listen to what previous owners recorded on it before you erase it.
 
I use my reel to reel probably about 5% of the time. Much less than my turntable, much more than my CD player.

I have about 15 or 20 pre-recorded tapes that I play. I just unearthed an old box of about a dozen tapes I recorded (on a different deck) back in the '70s. These were mostly recordings of FM concert simulcasts. I've started to listen to them, and I'm enjoying them immensely even though there seems to be a small speed discrepancy between the two decks that I have to sort out.

To me, reel to reel does particularly well with classical music where the extended quiet passages really highlight even very slight background noise on an LP. There may be some slight hiss with a tape, but that constant low-level hiss is less objectionable to me than the intermittent pops and ticks that might occur with an LP. I keep my LPs as clean as possible, but sometimes a little noise still creeps through and that's just not an issue with tape.
 
I use my reel to reel probably about 5% of the time. Much less than my turntable, much more than my CD player.

I have about 15 or 20 pre-recorded tapes that I play. I just unearthed an old box of about a dozen tapes I recorded (on a different deck) back in the '70s. These were mostly recordings of FM concert simulcasts. I've started to listen to them, and I'm enjoying them immensely even though there seems to be a small speed discrepancy between the two decks that I have to sort out.

To me, reel to reel does particularly well with classical music where the extended quiet passages really highlight even very slight background noise on an LP. There may be some slight hiss with a tape, but that constant low-level hiss is less objectionable to me than the intermittent pops and ticks that might occur with an LP. I keep my LPs as clean as possible, but sometimes a little noise still creeps through and that's just not an issue with tape.

I agree tape is always consistent when it comes to playback. I have a few pre-recorded 7 1/2 ips reels from the 50s and early 60s that sound as good as the day they were made. Quality is far superior to vinyl on many of these first generation tapes. This was before they started to use high speed duplication in the late 60's and early 70's. Most people think all pre-recorded tapes sound bad because they have never heard a good recorded early tape. I run across this all the time on forums. The main reason for this is because most users like rock me included, but when you get the chance to hear or purchase these early easy listening reels you will be blown away. There are some exceptions though I have 3 Ventures reels on the Dolton label (7 1/2 ips) that sound fantastic. I use a lot of CDs, MP3's, etc but reel to reel tape is still my favorite for it's high dynamics and superior archival storage.
 
I have Pioneer RT-909 and mostly fire it up when some guests are in house. You should see their faces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Priceless!
 
Checking the completed listings section on Ebay will give you a good idea of prices. Headwear is also an issue. I'd like to have one of these someday.
 
You can still get used 7" pre-recorded reels. If you buy used tape to record on, which is very common among R2R users, it's fun to listen to what previous owners recorded on it before you erase it.

I just bought a few 10.5" reels of tape over this past Summer, and finally got around to seeing what was on them. I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of Tommy Bolin's "Teaser" album at 15 ips! It was great because I'd never bought a copy when it came out. Sometimes I've found tapes that I just kept instead of erased because I liked them, you never know.

Glenn
 
The Pioneer 701/707 is the best home audio RTR for 7" reels, IMO - period. The $250 price point is approx. nominal right now. I would say the price for a legit "clean and lubed" unit with plenty of head life remaining may touch $400. At that price the unit should be missing nothing, and be dent, corrosion, and scratch-free.

With only a minor belt (counter) to worry about, you really DON'T have to worry. Mine has performed brilliantly for almost two years.
 
Sometimes I've found tapes that I just kept instead of erased because I liked them, you never know.

Glenn

I have bought about 300 reels of used tape over the last 3-4 years. My initial thought was to record over them, but like Glenn noted-often one finds reasons to let the existing recordings stay. I have a lot of recordings that I did not own previously, and get a kick out of hearing what others chose to record.

Just a few days ago, I found among a small batch of pre recorded tapes, someone's mix tape (inside a Fabulous Thunderbirds case/J-card). Wierd mix-Villiage People, Cindy Lauper, Box Tops, Willie Nelson, Barry White. I feel no need to record over it for now......
 
I wish I could find a tape score. Anything at all would be nice. I've scoured all of the resale, thrift shops as well as a ton of garage sales and have yet to find a single tape or deck.
 
P.S. The Pioneer RT 701/707 is also one of the best decks made for playing back old thin acetate and mylar pre-recorded tapes with ripple. And a superb sounding, reliable, and well built deck. Many a RT 701/707 got used commercially (even some of them got heads changed out with 1/2 track heads for broadcast station use).
 
The OP was quite a while ago, but I hope he went ahead with a 701/707 - I agree they are great sounding, reliable decks. I use mine all the time!
 
The OP was quite a while ago, but I hope he went ahead with a 701/707 - I agree they are great sounding, reliable decks. I use mine all the time!

Yes I went with a RT-701.
Purchased it back in January.:banana:

Roger
 

Attachments

  • Pioneerr Reel to Reel.JPG.jpg
    Pioneerr Reel to Reel.JPG.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 25
Excellent! Hope you have been enjoying it :)

To tell ya the truth "Skylab", I just now (well about 2 weeks ago), hooked everything up to try it out.
Being that its all "35 year old Vintage Stereo Equipmen" aqnd sold AS-IS,
I found out that the Output Circuts in my Amp were blown.
Just had those repaired and then I'll pick-up the amp next week, and hook it all back up again, and try it piece by piece.
I can't believe how patient I've been.
Its been 7 months since I starte collecting all these pieces.
Roger
 
Back
Top Bottom