• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

QR-4500 - Any good?

EWizard

Super Member
There is a QR-4500 for sale for relatively cheap close to me.
Is this a decent quad if working correctly?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi welcome to AK I dont know much about that unit other than it predates the QRX line and has a 20-25 wpc I think, do a google search and do a search on this site located upper right good luck there should be some good info to help you. Ken
 
There is a QR-4500 for sale for relatively cheap close to me.
Is this a decent quad if working correctly?
This is the little brother of QR-6500. Both of them only 3dB separation in 4-channel. (4 x 27W/8 ohms), See opinion for QR-6500 here
 
It's decent IMO. I've got one and use it on a regular basis. Had a Harman Kardon 800+ before the 4500. I definitely like it better than that..
 
I currently own a Concept 4.5 that has developed static in the left channel.
The Sansui that is local would be cheaper to pick up than getting my Concept fixed.
Might have to go for it.
Thanks guys.
 
Kind of late to the party

Didja get it?

But ... I've got two of them and always liked the rich sound AND the way they handle the speaker outputs. About as versatile as I've seen. You can of course run either of both speaker sets as quad OR run one set of quad and two sets of stereo OR four sets of stereo OR ... possibilities are almost endless. A kewl and fairly useless feature is the ability to turn the room around in 90 degree phases too. Never figured out how that figured into MY world, but I'm sure somebody somewhere found it useful. Still, all in all ... kewl. They also have a PRE IN/AMP OUT loop that is real handy for hooking up outboard amps which eliminate any power concerns.

I'm currently using a QRX6001 while rebuilding a QRX9001 while using one of the QR4500's to provide ambient sound around the house. Either FM (still got a couple good rockers in the neighborhood) or my HTPC.

Also one of the purtiest units ever built IMHO.

Also bulletproof. Way less complex than the x001 receivers. Which is why mine is still hooked up and the 9001 is on the bench. <G>

And they do real decent synthesis from stereo sources. Also, if you're into SACD or any other of the new fangled multichannel platforms, they make a good amp. I ran my OPPO on one for some time and used another amp for the LFE and center channels.

** The one I'm currently using is one I bought from a little old priest in Pasadena back in the 70s. The other one is a good spare that I scored on eBay maybe a year back ... $70 ... including shipping!
 
In fact the QR-4500 is a very impressive receiver. Power output datas from Sansui are always very conservative. Sound is fanatstic - as usual with Sansui's old stuff.
Let us know how you decided.
 
Back
Top Bottom