• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Question about speaker enclosures

Just a couple of photos of what I did with the Snell E II’s.


View attachment 1850770 View attachment 1850771

It looks like you've got them on 10" stands that have floor spikes.....homemade stands?

I just recently refoamed a pair of Snell type E111s, and they sound great.

Fiddled with the tweeter controls, turned them down, sounds better.

Also, dug up an old AK thread that mentioned that if you don't know the history of the speakers, check to see if the tweeter screws have come loose....well, mine were, tightened them up and sounds even better.

Great job on those in the pics.
 
It looks like you've got them on 10" stands that have floor spikes.....homemade stands?

I just recently refoamed a pair of Snell type E111s, and they sound great.

Fiddled with the tweeter controls, turned them down, sounds better.

Also, dug up an old AK thread that mentioned that if you don't know the history of the speakers, check to see if the tweeter screws have come loose....well, mine were, tightened them up and sounds even better.

Great job on those in the pics.
Stands are 10” tall, but with the spikes it is just under 12”. The stands are from Sound Anchors. To me it’s a nice set up.
 
MDF is used for speaker cabinets for sonic reasons. MDF is very dense and has a consistent composition. Natural wood has a variable density and consistency, and is subject to unwanted resonances. Plywood is somewhere in the middle, depending upon the quality of the plywood, including the lack of internal voids. No reputable speaker builder would use solid wood for a speaker enclosure if the desired outcome is good sound.

I suggest using MDF. And the cabinet dimensions that matter are the inside, volumetric dimensions.

Actually it's only medium dense lol.
 
^^ He's right ya know.

Come to think of it, I wonder what VDF is like? I don't know that I've ever encountered a piece, that I knew of. I bet you could use it for tank armor.
 
Actually it's only medium dense lol.

It is all relative. Medium dense to what? As others point out, manufactured material is available in various densities. But OP was comparing MDF to natural wood. MDF is very dense compared to most natural woods. Are there other materials more dense? Sure. But that is not what OP was asking.
 
It is all relative. Medium dense to what? As others point out, manufactured material is available in various densities. But OP was comparing MDF to natural wood. MDF is very dense compared to most natural woods. Are there other materials more dense? Sure. But that is not what OP was asking.
MDF= "medium" density fiber board, just sayin. Really no need to get all worked up over it lol. It is what it is eh? And you're right, it's less dense than denser fiber boards, and that's a good thing because very dense HDF doesn't make very good speaker cabinets.

I was only bustin your chops lol.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom