• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Questions about the way Bi-amping works on a Sony STR-DH770

JarrettUrban

New Member
So soon I am going to have a new receiver from Sony (STR-DH770) and it has the capability to hook up speakers in the bi-amp mode. I have some bookshelf speakers that have two wires coming out the back. One for the lows, (two woofers) and one for the horn. Now the amp manual says to hook the tweeters up to the bi-amp input and have the woofers plugged into the front channels. I was curious as to if the receiver would blow out my tweeters if I don't have a crossover in the speaker cabinets for the tweeters. The receiver I am using now has separate outputs for the woofers and the tweeters. I have no idea whether the new receiver will cut out the low frequencies to the bi-amp outputs or not. Thank you in advance for your responses!
 
Register to hide this ad
I've looked at quite a few HT receivers and processors over the years and don't recall any that incorporated a low pass/high pass filter arrangement when set up in the biamp mode.

You'd have consult the owner's manual to be sure, but I doubt it does. Odds are it is the same full range signal from both sets of outputs.
 
I've looked at quite a few HT receivers and processors over the years and don't recall any that incorporated a low pass/high pass filter arrangement when set up in the biamp mode.

You'd have consult the owner's manual to be sure, but I doubt it does. Odds are it is the same full range signal from both sets of outputs.
Alright, so I found on the Sony website a help guide, and it says that I can change the crossover frequencies in the speaker settings. It also states that the crossover frequency for the particular speaker cannot be set if the size is set to large in the menu.
http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdh77/v1/en/contents/TP0000960631.html

That's the link that I found this information at. I am just hoping that there is a setting to go into the bi-amp settings or on that channel for the bi-amp to be able to access those settings.
 
So I've found out that my old system has active crossovers, in the means of the tweeters are powered directly from the receiver and the woofers separately powered from the receiver. I would assume they wouldn't include an internal crossover for protection, since the system didn't include a big price tag, (The Sony MHC-EC99i). I don't know how to power those speakers with a new receiver unless i need a passive crossover for the tweeters in-line with the speaker wire.
 
Yeah, unfortunately the manual for the speaker/system doesn't give a specific answer to what the crossover frequency is. Based on the specs it seems somewhere between 2kHz and 10kHz, which is a real wide window to guess in. Probably it's toward the lower/mid side of that range but hard to say for sure.

Capacitors to experiment with various 6dB/octave high pass filters wouldn't cost too much. But for full implementation of crossovers it might be less expensive, or at least more cost effective in the big picture, to find some different speakers.

It's possible the mfg put high pass capacitors on the tweeters to protect them against accidental connection to the low frequency section. They may not be right for the crossover (probably a bit to low) but might give a starting point if present and you choose to go that way.
 
Alright, Thanks for the shout back!! I think the reasonable way to do it is to just purchase some passive crossovers for the tweeters I guess.
 
Back
Top Bottom