• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Questions on amps

Mrs Watts

Active Member
Hi can someone explain the difference between a pre amp, power amp and intregated amp? I am looking for something to power one of my 2 pairs of speakers one pair are ADS L500s and the others are klipsch rb-5 lls I will be running one pair from my pioneer 1080. I know the ADS are 4 ohms but not sure about the klipsch. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
A preamp is a line stage device, generally with control of inputs , possibly a phono stage and tone controls.
They give you actual control of signal supplied (volume).
The power amp is a gain stage. It takes a low level signal, amplifies it and sends it to speakers. Generally just input jacks, speaker jacks and a power switch.
An integrated amp would be both of these in one cabinet.
 
A pre-amp is a device that receives inputs from various sources, such as phono, CD, and auxiliary. The pre-amp has a volume control and a way to select each input.

An amplifier is connected to the pre-amp and provides power to the speakers. Most amps do not have any volume or level controls. They just have an line input and speaker output.

An integrated amplifier is a combination pre-amp and amplifier, all in one case.

A receiver is an integrated amp with a tuner integrated in it.
 
Amps are rated at a given output impedance. If you parallel outputs on an amp say , 2 8 ohm speakers the 2 parallel speakers present a 4 ohm load on the output of the amp. A 4 ohm and another speaker (in parallel would present a lower impedance. Most amps aren't rated lower than 4 ohms and the lower impedance would likely damage it. If I understand correctly you want to run 2 sets of speakers off of one receiver?
Under the described scenario, that's not advised.
If the receiver has a pre out, it might be possible to split the preamp signal and power 2 different amp sections to power each set of speakers.
 
A preamp is a line stage device, generally with control of inputs , possibly a phono stage and tone controls.
They give you actual control of signal supplied (volume).
The power amp is a gain stage. It takes a low level signal, amplifies it and sends it to speakers. Generally just input jacks, speaker jacks and a power switch.
An integrated amp would be both of these in one cabinet.
Thank you so should I be looking for an intregated amp to accomplish my purpose? I am looking at a Marantz 1120 would that be a good choice?
 
Amps are rated at a given output impedance. If you parallel outputs on an amp say , 2 8 ohm speakers the 2 parallel speakers present a 4 ohm load on the output of the amp. A 4 ohm and another speaker (in parallel would present a lower impedance. Most amps aren't rated lower than 4 ohms and the lower impedance would likely damage it. If I understand correctly you want to run 2 sets of speakers off of one receiver?
Under the described scenario, that's not advised.
If the receiver has a pre out, it might be possible to split the preamp signal and power 2 different amp sections to power each set of speakers.
No I want to run one set from the 1080 and one set from an amp
 
That has pre out amp in jacks with jumpers. You should be able to put Y cable on pre out jack. One end of y goes to amp in, other goes to other amp input to power second set of speakers. You may have to do something about balancing levels of the two speakers after this.
 
A pre-amp is a device that receives inputs from various sources, such as phono, CD, and auxiliary. The pre-amp has a volume control and a way to select each input.

An amplifier is connected to the pre-amp and provides power to the speakers. Most amps do not have any volume or level controls. They just have an line input and speaker output.

An integrated amplifier is a combination pre-amp and amplifier, all in one case.

A receiver is an integrated amp with a tuner integrated in it.
Thank you I am still having trouble figuring out what I need. One set of speakers I want to run are 4ohm, the other set are 8 ohms so would the correct thing to do be to run one set from my 1080 reciever and the other set to an amp? And if so what type of amp? Im sorry for my lack of even basic knowledge on this subject I am doing my best to learn all I can sometimes it is kind of embarrasing to ask my questions but I force myself to keep asking anyway because it is the only way I will get the system I want and the only way I will avoid making a mistake that would damage or destroy the equipment I already have so a heart felt thank you to all of you that take the time to answer my questions!
 
Somewhere, I think I have a pre-amp with a tuner in it, would that be called a "integrated pre-amp"?
Like Joe said, that would be a tuner/preamp. Nad made two, the 1600 and the 1700. I've got a 1600 and love it. I'm surprised these weren't more popular. You could choose whatever power amp you wanted.

nad_1600_stereo_preamplifier.jpg
 
Thank you so should I be looking for an intregated amp to accomplish my purpose?

You never stated what you purpose is other then connecting to a pair of speakers. What is is that you want to do once you have the speakers connected? the ability to connect a TT (turntable), CD player, tuner (AM/FM)? if so then yes an integrated would accomplish that.
 
One set of speakers I want to run are 4ohm, the other set are 8 ohms so would the correct thing to do be to run one set from my 1080 reciever and the other set to an amp? And if so what type of amp?

You're asking this question after it was already explained, quite clearly I might add, by @RTally in post #3.
 
They explained what you asked about so here is the Easy way, Add a power amplifier of 50watts per channel or so.

Unplug the preamp output power amp input jumper on the SX and use a Y-cable from the preamp output to plug back into the power amp input on the SX and use the other side of the Y to go to the separate power amp. Get one with volume controls and you will be able to adjust the volume of the speakers connected to it even though the SX will also adjust the volume. Makes it easier to match the volumes. Done, Easy.

Something like a Crown D-150a at 80wpc will be more than enough and they are not expensive generally. But there are lots of choices for an amp.
 
Also, you never said if you wanted to run both pairs of speakers at the same time. If not, you can just hook up both pairs to the 1080, and switch back and forth.
 
Back
Top Bottom