• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Questions on amps

Also, you never said if you wanted to run both pairs of speakers at the same time. If not, you can just hook up both pairs to the 1080, and switch back and forth.
One of those speakers is 4 ohms. Running both pars simultaneously could put a very low impedance load on that poor amp.

Oh, as an aside, many power amps don't have a level control so one pair of speakers could overpower the other. That's called a "non-sequitur"
 
would a pair of hk 775 mono blocks work for running the extra set of speakers? And would they work with my pioneer 1080 receiver?

Would the HK 775's work with the Pioneer SX-1080? if that is what you're asking then yes!!!!

The SX-1080 has pre-outs on the back so you would connect from there to each individual input on the HK 775 by passing (for lack of better wording) the "power amp" section of the 1080 thus turning the 1080 into a pre-amp (see post #3 if your confused)

On each mono block you would connect 1 speaker, let's say for conversation the "Left" speaker then you would connect from the back of the 1080 from the "left" pre output to the input on that mono block.

The HK's will now "amplify" whatever audio source (Phono, AUX , Tuner (AM/FM) and or Tape player) you're feeding them from the 1080. In this scenario consider the 1080 a control center allowing you to select what source and control the volume.

hk775 monoblock-amplifiers.jpg

Pioneer-sx-1080.jpg
 
One of those speakers is 4 ohms. Running both pars simultaneously could put a very low impedance load on that poor amp.

That's what I meant. If the OP was NOT going to use both pairs of speakers at the same time, then he could just use the A and B speaker outputs. He never said he wanted to use both pairs at the same time.
 
I am looking at a Marantz 1120 would that be a good choice?

would a pair of hk 775 mono blocks work for running the extra set of speakers

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/adcom-gfa-5300-output.681030/#post-13419216

Can you tell me how it worked out for you? I am thinking of buying one

It seems to me that you're looking to spend a good amount of money just to run an extra pair of speakers?
 
That's what I meant. If the OP was NOT going to use both pairs of speakers at the same time, then he could just use the A and B speaker outputs. He never said he wanted to use both pairs at the same time.

Fwiw the OP is a she, as for using both pairs at the same time based on a previous thread that is what she wants to do.

See post #34

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...-educating-myself.898967/page-2#post-13410327

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...about-speaker-selectors.898479/#post-13409959
 
Fwiw the OP is a she, as for using both pairs at the same time based on a previous thread that is what she wants to do.

See post #34

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...-educating-myself.898967/page-2#post-13410327

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...about-speaker-selectors.898479/#post-13409959

Thanks. I figured she wanted to use both at the same time, but figured I'd mention it just in case.
And stupid me, I didn't notice the Venus symbol avatar. Honestly though, I've always had a hard time remembering which symbol represents male and female. Oh well. Carry on everyone.:)
 
Something that the OP may not have considered is the large difference in sensitivity between the two pairs of speakers she intends to run simultaneously.

This may not be as much of an issue if they are in two separate spaces, but in any case she should be aware that one pair (the Klipsch, at 96dB/1 watt) will be nearly twice as loud as the other (ADS at 87dB/1 watt).

If she moves forward with a separate power amp to drive the second pair, it might be advisable that this amp have its own gain control. This would allow her to "synchronize" the volume of the two pairs of speakers...after which, of course, she would use the volume control on the Pioneer receiver (assumedly being used as the preamp for the external power amp) to control the loudness of both pairs of speakers.

I would recommend driving the ADS speakers with the external power amp; otherwise the gain on the external power amp might have to be set so low as to cause problems.

To the OP - Speaker sensitivity ratings allow you to compare the relative loudness of one speaker vs another, when given equal power (1 watt). Your speakers have a difference of 9 decibels (dB). That translates, roughly into "the Klipsch will be twice as loud as the ADS". This will be true at all volume settings. Effectively, the ADS speakers need 8 times the power needed by the Klipsch to achieve the same loudness!

As mentioned above, if your power amp has its own gain control, you can use it to boost or attenuate the loudness of the speakers connected to it, so that both pairs (the ones driven the by the external amp and the pair driven by the power amp section of the SX-1080) have approximately the same output (that is, the same loudness).

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Something that the OP may not have considered is the large difference in sensitivity between the two pairs of speakers she intends to run simultaneously.
I alluded to this eventuality in post 21.

Although it may be an anathema to "audiophile" principles of keeping the signal chain as pure as possible, OP may be better off going with an integrated amp and using an "aux" input for the second pair of speakers. This will pretty much allow total control over the volume levels of each speaker. Yes, there will be another preamp in the chain but the benefits may outweigh the negatives.
 
Last edited:
Something that the OP may not have considered is the large difference in sensitivity between the two pairs of speakers she intends to run simultaneously.

This may not be as much of an issue if they are in two separate spaces, but in any case she should be aware that one pair (the Klipsch, at 96dB/1 watt) will be nearly twice as loud as the other (ADS at 87dB/1 watt).

If she moves forward with a separate power amp to drive the second pair, it might be advisable that this amp have its own gain control. This would allow her to "synchronize" the volume of the two pairs of speakers...after which, of course, she would use the volume control on the Pioneer receiver (assumedly being used as the preamp for the external power amp) to control the loudness of both pairs of speakers.

I would recommend driving the ADS speakers with the external power amp; otherwise the gain on the external power amp might have to be set so low as to cause problems.

To the OP - Speaker sensitivity ratings allow you to compare the relative loudness of one speaker vs another, when given equal power (1 watt). Your speakers have a difference of 9 decibels (dB). That translates, roughly into "the Klipsch will be twice as loud as the ADS". This will be true at all volume settings. Effectively, the ADS speakers need 8 times the power needed by the Klipsch to achieve the same loudness!

As mentioned above, if your power amp has its own gain control, you can use it to boost or attenuate the loudness of the speakers connected to it, so that both pairs (the ones driven the by the external amp and the pair driven by the power amp section of the SX-1080) have approximately the same output (that is, the same loudness).

Good luck.
Thankyou everyone I am having second thoughts now as I might spend a bunch of money and then due to my lack of knowledge not know how to set it up correctly so to improve the overall sound. It already sounds pretty darn good so I am probably going to be better off just switching between both speakers according to which ones sound better with the music I am playing
 
It seems to me that you're looking to spend a good amount of money just to run an extra pair of speakers?

And this is a problem, why? Seen DS2000's amps? He spends good coin just to power speakers. He is not alone, I'm sure.

But we know what you mean. But the OP is getting into vintage gear and having more gear doesn't seem to be a problem most of the time.
 
different sensitivities of the speakers is the reason I mentioned amps with input level controls to be able to set the volume of those speakers so they play nice with the speakers connected to the SX.
 
I see the OP has multiple threads on the topics discussed here. I wondered if a speaker selector with volume control might be a good solution, but saw in another thread that she had tried it and found it to have a notable effect on sound quality.

I have also seen that others have claimed similar experiences with resistor-based selectors (such as used by the OP), but have not had any such issues with the transformer-based selectors in my systems.

This might be something for the OP to try, especially if she can find a seller who allows returns.

I should probably mention that my selectors do not include volume control capabilities. So, I guess the sound degradation that some folks associate with selector boxes - which I always assumed to be a function of their resistor-based approach to impedance management - could be at least partially due to the signal passing through another volume control circuit. But it's my belief that most of the problem is primarily a function of the series resistors.

A speaker selector using impedance matching transformers should have a significantly lesser impact on sound quality. This has certainly been my experience, as the first one I had was resistor-based. I was not at all happy with the degradation in sound quality that it seemed to cause, and dropped it off at the Salvation Army store.

They are not inexpensive...but less than a good second amp...and perhaps a bit more flexible for the OP's situation.
 
Personally, I'm a visual learner. This crude drawing may help. In the picture, I made the two RCA cables separate, but they are usually connected in pairs.
So basically you just need two Y splitters like in Skipper's post above, and a regular RCA cable. Just make sure the Left and Right Y splitters go to the corresponding Left and Right inputs on the power amp.

20200122_170027.jpg
 
Personally, I'm a visual learner. This crude drawing may help. In the picture, I made the two RCA cables separate, but they are usually connected in pairs.
So basically you just need two Y splitters like in Skipper's post above, and a regular RCA cable. Just make sure the Left and Right Y splitters go to the corresponding Left and Right inputs on the power amp.

View attachment 1739180

I personally wouldn't try that. Usually receivers have pre-amp sections designed to drive the input of the power amp section. That configuration would mean you're driving two amps in parallel; a task no pre-amp in a receiver is intended to do. There are pre-amps with more than one output. My Adcom GFT-500 has two outputs. That would be the better solution.
 
Sometimes one set of speakers is noticeably louder than the other. Sometimes it is good to control the volume etc. separately with multiple speakers. I have a set of speakers in 2 adjoining rooms. I want to play same music on each and have separate volume controls.

Here is how I do it.

Laptop-->DAC-->Sony Integrated-->Sansui Integrated. HPM-200 Speakers connected to Sony HPM-1100 connected to Sansui.

DAC input to Sony AUX.

Sony Tape/Rec (output) to Sansui AUX.

Now I have separate controls for each set of speakers. The music travels straight through the Sony as if it is not there directly to Sansui.

Theoretically you can daisy chain unlimited receivers or integrated amps this way. You just need output on one side and input on the other. Usually Tape/Rec to AUX.


I like this method better than connecting preout and amp in.
 
Back
Top Bottom