• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Quick answers, if pos. pls. - Vintage Receivers

I would say the HK, no question about it. Not that the other two choices are anything to laugh at, but the 930 is a really nice piece of gear.
 
Thanks for your recommendations, guys! I'm now driving over to audition . . . starting with the H/K, I guess!
 
It's the H/K!!! I don't often use the word 'sweet' (sounding) but what the heck. It sounds really good, we only tried two tracks - someone by the name of Sheila Chandra, singing "Ever so lonely"; and our Jimi, singing "All around the watchtower". That was enough (for little old me!) - I know those tracks inside-out/ backwards!. We then hooked-up the Pioneer, it was fitted with speaker connections hanging from the back via those spade plugs (westend!), which didn't look too smoothly connected. When we listened to Jimi, we could tell that something significantly less than 100%, was or wasn't going on. A pity because I feel that I still haven't heard the true SX 727. I could also feel a bit guilty about not hearing the Sansui but that may have ended-up in me doing the 100 mile round-trip all over again, because when I listen to this H/K, the guilt goes away.
I'm pleased. Thanks for responding so quickly, guys. og.
 
I think you'll be very happy. How does it sound compared to the Luxman? I have one of their integrated amps but I think my HK 430 at 1/3 of the wattage sounds just as good.

-john
 
The neat deal(s) about the HK is that the power supply has TONS of head room. You can crank it pretty hard and it won't break a sweat. When playing softer, there's more deatil in the big bass notes due to the same situation. The twin power scheme was unique and it worked :)

Next is the jumpers so you can use it as a pre-amp or an amp from another source. Lastly, if I'm not mistaken - it has two tape loops, two aux (nice for CD and MP3 source), a decent phono stage and a pretty good tuner. High cut and low cut filters for TT action, etc. I might be a wrong here and there, but I think it's a first rate package :) I'm still looking to score a nice one for reasonable $$?

Looks like you dun gude !!
 
...- someone by the name of Sheila Chandra, ...

My favorite by Indi-Pop star Sheila Chandra is "Lament of McCrimmon/Song of the Banshee". (a YOUTUBE of it) from Weaving My Ancestors' Voices.

41B3BPCFNEL._AA240_.jpg


.

However, the most hilarious of her songs: the one where she trills her T's in rapid-fire fashion Ta TAKITA ta, Ta TAKITA ta, Ta TAKITA ta... warm-up voical drills gone very, very awry. In a good way...
 
Susurus . . . don't get me started!!!

The only album I have of hers (chosen by her picture, I'm ashamed/ proud to say!) is "Moonsung". It is fabulous.
og.
 
You got the right receiver. Looks like all of them have preout/pwrin connections. Power from these units is listed as:
HK-45 wpc
Pioneer-40 wpc

Sansui starts at 130 watts, then 105, then 48, 39, 34 and finally
28 wpc @ 8Ω both channels driven 20-20,000Hz which is how the other two would be rated.

The two Japanese have three sets of speaker outputs with the Pioneer needing the odd speaker plug. The HK has screw terminals, not the easiest but good.

The HK will be the only one that has dual transformers.
All three of them look good, the HK with its full width large dial area, the nice blue glow from the Pioneer and the Sansui with the buttons integrated into the lower dial area.

You did well. The HK will definitely sound the best of these.
 
Thanks Blue Shadow!
I'm trying the HK on different speakers this aft. (and yesterday!) - currently it is connected to a pair of 'RFT' [East German, as was] bookshelves. I cannot figure out why these RFTs are increasing in musicality, more and more, each 1/4 hour (maybe my ears are breaking-in again!).
I've now posted questions, re speakers, here on Vintage; and I'm exploring the Klipsch option, in their corner. Any comments (Bostons and Advents have been suggested).

Yes, the screw-terminals are a bit fiddly (details/ details!) - this receiver here is growing on me - continually right now.
og.
 
Getting Into The Hk 930:

First of all I love what this receiver is bringing to my poor collection of speakers. In a head-to-head with my Luxman R117, though, the HK sounds like it has a bigger, older brother, yet some of the sound effects that I'm hearing on everything but my Energy Ref 22's are like comparing the old Concorde (which I loved) with a magic carpet. My particular Energy/ Luxman combination seems to thrive on "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts". I'm not sure what anyone else thinks of that??

Some things need to be worked on with my 'new' HK. I didn't get that the knurled nobs should all be the same, till the third day, duugh!! [Ref all the net-pictures I've seen, so far]. I'll have to start looking.

The tuner section must need a darn good clean and then some(thing). It sounds like I'm running through WW1 trenches (noise/ staccato) when I spin the wheel (whether the FM Mute button is in or out!); and the stations do not come in very gradually according to the needles. To clarify, the stations come into tune very suddenly, thus making it 'finicky' to tune right-in. Having said that, I'm getting university stations from miles away that folks have difficulty picking up from across the street, down by the 'U'!

Lastly (for now) and this may be nothing 'but', I am yet to see a wooden case like that on mine, which could make Kindling for a week, if chopped-up. It does not look the smoothest piece of furniture to me, though it is sort-of 'homey' - and it might (or might not!) indicate that other work has been done inside (ooh-wooh!).

Your comments on the above would be appreciated. Also I'd feel better if my recently received gift of a pair of oldish speakers could be identified s.v.p. - I'll now attempt to attach photographs of the above, for the first time (!!!).

Thanks in advance, og.
 

Attachments

  • Front of HK 930.jpg
    Front of HK 930.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 42
  • The HK 930 Wooden Case.jpg
    The HK 930 Wooden Case.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 21
  • The Knobs.jpg
    The Knobs.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Back of HK930.jpg
    Back of HK930.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Bostonesque.jpg
    Bostonesque.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 33
Those speakers look like they have quality drivers.I might be wrong,but those look like Peerless tweeters.I bet you thats a quality set of two-way speakers you have there.what do they say on the back?
Jimmy
 
Hey Jimmy, they don't say a thing on them anywhere, except the word "Renaissance" on the screens (which looks more like a 'model' name than a 'brand') - nothing on the back, nothing on the woofer basket which is a heavy pressing - not a casting; nothing on the crossover mount, inside; and nothing on the tweeter. My speaker repair man (he put on new surrounds during my first week of ownership), here in Toronto, said that they are manufactured by one of the firms in the Boston area and are called "Advance" (Canadian market) speakers - I've looked high and low, including current users of the name "Renaissance" but to no avail [YET!]. Another 'Techie' swore that they are actual 'Boston' tweeters (but he may or may not be right!). The crossover assembly includes a rear-accessible fuse!

They sound 'OK'! Really great on Double Bass and Bass Guitar!

Thanks, og.
 

Attachments

  • No-name.jpg
    No-name.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Woofer Tweeter.jpg
    Woofer Tweeter.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The wooden case looks great! The out-of-place knobs are Pioneer ones. The seller also had the SX-727, maybe the HK's knobs are on there - maybe you should ask and see if you can swap 'em back, if so!
 
Phew!!! I was actually stopping myself from liking the wooden case until, it got (this is so "not usually me"!) "approval" from the bleachers (or stalls, if you prefer).

I'll check with the 'used-stereo' store (fifty miles away!) about the Pioneer knobs - a really good thought. My audio repair man says that he'll try to match them but I can feel my 'perfectionist' side chomping at the bit. I will take it in for a clean and/ or service, when the Christmas festivities have been paid-for.

I'm listening to it right now ["Jazz FM 91" in Toronto (and the Net)], it's lost a channel twice in the past hour, which came back-in 100% when I waggled the balance knob (is that a sign of needing to be cleaned or maybe something coming loose??).

As for the ("Renaissance") speakers, now you've prompted me to take those pics, Jimmy, maybe I'll send copies to one or two companies for identification purposes.

The "Renaissance Audio Group" (Renaissance badge on speaker screens) has been around since 1978, which (tho' I'm not 100% sure) may be predated by these speakers. This is their site: http://www.renaudio.com/

And another article said that a (different?) Renaissance Audio is (was) the new name for Morel Acoustics USA - their site looks like: http://www.morelhifi.com/

If you recollect, I received a suggestion that these might be "Advance" speakers (from a Canadian Distributer).

One "Advance" is an electronics retailer from Winnipeg, which may have commissioned large batches of speakers under their name - they deal/ dealt with some big name suppliers: http://www.advance.mb.ca/aboutus/history.htm

The "Advance Speaker Korp" deals under the name "Human Speakers", as follows: http://www.humanspeakers.com/o/advance/index.html - They have "Genesis" roots and "Accustic Research" connections.

So there I was (three weeks ago) with these speakers, I therefore thought that I'd ask people here (???).

Cheers, og.
 
The 'good' news is that IIRC the knobs for all the x30 HKs look the same, so if you can find a beater 330b you should be able to swap its knobs in on the cheap...that is, if they aren't on the not-bought SX-727 and available for a free swap!

Nice - I've always wanted a 930...
 
Good good news, from you, CUlater :banana:; sx 727 sold tho' :thumbsdn:; This evening, the HK930 left channel crackled, crackled, crackled and lost sound:sigh: . . . I now have to meditate to keep it, fix it and play it again (and again) - (the store already offered to take it back - not an option from what I've learned already from AK!) . . . The weekend snow froze; it'll be below freezing for a while . . . . . . then easter - ha-ha! Dare I open it up, over the winter? Photographs of innards look scary. But it will rise! :yes:
 
Hm, not all of the x30 knobs are the same, the 730 most definately haven't got the same knobs.
 
. . . agreed, I saw a 330 photo with slimmer knobs/ no flutes. But was it standard???
 
Back
Top Bottom