• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rail voltage under load questions.

Hmm. I've never owned an amplifier with a fully regulated power supply.

What do you mean? No way your amps operate at mains voltage! Even if they do not have transistors they have to have voltage regulation even if they used just tubes and resistors, diode and capacitors in strongs.
I don't understand this. Are you getting confused between rectification and regulation? The vast majority of power amps run from an unregulated power supply. That's just a fact.
 
I know you're not confused. I only quoted your post for context because it was what ProudArmyBra was replying to. I was supporting your comment. I think I've only ever seen one power amp with a regulated power supply.

Sorry. I did not see his post, or your quote of it.

Now that I've seen it, I remembered why I avoid doing so.
 
Last edited:
When purchasing parts in bulk it is hard for an OEM to say no to a fantastic deal even if it is marginal to the specifications as in bare minimum or even under what is ideal. The same thing is true in reverse it never hurts to exceed specifications with power filter caps assuming they fit in the space allowed and it is even better if they get a great deal on them!

i say this all the time this is why my fantastic and I love to death Carver brand amp ended up with power filter caps that are are rated 7 to 10 volts under under what is actual on the rails ended up in the amp! Just like when you pop the hood on a a big V8 engined car or truck and find a battery that is far smaller than ideal because the OEM got a fantastic deal! It is going to make it out of warranty no problem with no failures and will work just fine meeting the specifications of the unit which normaly have plenty of wiggle room built in well in the past at least.

Every company does this especially if the end consumer can not easily see that corners have been cut. Traditionaly capacitors, switches, pot's, power cords, bulbs where the places cost cutting showed up first.


My opinion is that your opinion is absolutely incorrect. Unless maybe you were talking about a two or three person fly by night company. Every single reputable company has an approved bom list, when the buyer goes out to procure parts they aren’t looking for “deals” nor does the distributor selling parts ever suggest you use some other part other than what’s on your bom unless your original part went end of life. If any substitutions were made, it would have to go back for engineering approval which could take weeks or months. Buyers are not qualified to make any of those decisions. So I’m not sure where you formulated your opinion about parts getting swapped out randomly to save a few bucks, but I’ve dealt with thousands of OEM’s over the last 40 years never saw it once. Maybe it was the quality of the customers that I called on who actually had a controlled bom.
 
Back
Top Bottom