• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rare and Seldom Seen Speakers

No sir, still sitting in the pile patiently. The good news is that I have almost completely stopped buying gear, so they are actually getting closer to the top of the list, lol.
 
Great-looking speakers - and you're right about there being little info on the web... How old are they? They are somewhat different from most classic German speakers in that they are 8 ohm and don't have rounded cabinet corners. Is the crossover on the back panel? Great-looking setup, by the way...

Based on the serial numbers, my guess is they were probably built in 1969 and were the 6th (69006) and 10th (69010) made. There is a single 5 µF capacitor to the identical tweeters as shown in the photos and diagrammed below. The woofer appears to run wide open and rolls off naturally.

By the way, ignore the polarity markings in the diagram. The original caps had markings suggesting they had polarity, but the consensus here was that they were not polarized.

index.php


index.php


index.php


index.php
 
Last edited:
Based on the serial numbers, my guess is they were probably built in 1969 and were the 6th (69006) and 10th (69010) made. There is a single capacitor to the identical tweeters as shown in the photos and diagrammed below. The woofer appears to run wide open and rolls off naturally.

By the way, ignore the polarity markings in the diagram. The original caps had markings suggesting they had polarity, but the consensus here was that they were not polarized.

index.php


index.php


index.php


index.php
It was a way to mark the foil. One lead would be connected to the outer layer, the other the inner. Its non polar.
 
Ok, the Burhoe Blue are gone; had some Reds for a while as well.

Residing right now? Currently listening to a pair of Mirage SM-1, pre-API ownership, and pre-350/450/650/750 as well. The SM-1 speakers are hitting all the right notes. Incredible speakers, with a Philips tweeter surrounded by a felt ring. Loving them.

A/B'ing with the Mirage? A pair of excellent Audiotronix GL 300 bookshelfs, from Glenn Electronics, Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Excellent sound, apparently morphed to MiTronics Then Lazer, then BSM.

Lurking and waiting for love: LEAK 3050, no covers but going to look great without them. Waiting for surrounds. Micro Acoustics, possibly FRM-3, with the lollipop physically tuneable tweeter. Waiting on surrounds. EPI 80 bookshelfs, waiting on surrounds. Design Acoustics PS-66 bookshelfs, acquired at some point by AudioTechnica, waiting on surrounds.

In and out of the rotation depending on what I am feeling musically: Mirage 750, Energy PRO 22, Telefunken Compact 30.

Sleepers in the background? KEW 5, large front speakers totally similar to JBL L40, but featuring a 12" rear-firing passive radiator. 12" CTS or Gefco woofer, what appears to be a Motorola piezo tweeter, and they sound just so good! Apparently built originally on a Dayton/Wright licence, but variance from the design and specs saw the licence pulled. Never-the-less, an incredible sounding speaker that saw my JBL L40 speakers on their way to Montreal, and the KEW 5 still here.

Been a few other rare speakers through here, including RTR EXP-8 (exceptional), really early Paradigm (Model 7), and the crowning glory: Crown, possibly made by RTR, with a four-element per speaker array of JanZen electrostatic tweeters.

Always looking for the weird and accessible speakers.
A few more to offer.

Had a pair of Hamblen speakers for a while, nice sound and great build quality. Came out of Kitchener/Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. Same as my Leigh LTC 1203 pair from the same area, apparently an extension of the Marsland speakers that were produced there.

Running some early ProLinear out of Vancouver, BC, Canada that are incredible. Oatmeal front grilles that I restored. Also had ProLinear Stage 60 speakers that also sounded fantastic. The company later sold speakers under the Acoustech Labs name, still great speakers and worth a listen.

Have a pair of Muntz small bookshelfs awaiting some love. I think they require refoam as there is a rattle in the lower notes. Just figuring out how to get at them; probably through the cloth coverings of a large square rear port; cloth is stapled on.

Getting in to some Design Acoustics bookshelfs, model PS-66, that need refoam. They show a lot of promise. Made in USA. Apparently acquired by Audio Technica at some point, then morphed into Signet? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also looking at a larger pair of Design Acoustics towers that are in my area, but haven't approached the listing party yet, model DA T1010. Weird, but these seem to be made by Audiosphere here in Canada, a company that made many different speakers for many different brands. Hmmm. Anybody that can chime in on that?
 
Mr. Carlson’s Lab has an excellent explanation of the orientation of capacitor foil:

There is a lot of debate on whether it really makes a difference in how they are installed. Many non polar caps aren't even marked anymore. Yes, you may see a slight difference on a scope, etc., but I dought you would hear a difference in most if not all applications.
 
Braun L200, drivers rebuilt by Richard So, all caps replaced with Jantzen polypropylene, and replaced internal wires.

Camera is a not too common Leicaflex Standard.

German technology at it's best.

View attachment 2143312
I have the L300/8s (Woofer with a coaxially mounted tweeter and a mid on top). Woofers were fine but needed a refoam job from Richard. They sound insane for their size. Picked up from some old Russian dude in Brooklyn.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6905.jpg
    IMG_6905.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 90
Love your L300/8 speakers! I also have the Compact C and the 1002/8 speakers, just had the woofers rebuilt by Richard. I will post photos shortly.
 
GNP audio System 220.
I really didn't know what they were called when I bought them.
I found a reference to them here from last year.
They were 16 ohm and preferred my tube amp over SS.

I have a pair of these GNP 220. Nice mid-range presence.
 
Compared to most of your guy's entries, these are worth little monetarily. But I do believe they're pretty rare in the U.S. (I was able to find a couple sold listings for sale from $50 or so, but not much info about them), and practically nonexistent in Europe considering their size.

They're 1987-88 Sanyo SSV16 4-Way Floorstanding Speakers with 15" woofers.

View attachment 2125444

Drivers & Cabinet:

View attachment 2125451
Super tweeter is actually a real (mylar) tweeter.
View attachment 2125455

View attachment 2125460
5" Midrange driver has the newer Sanyo logo on it, and also says made in Korea.

Cabinet is actually just over ¾" thick.View attachment 2125467
View attachment 2125471
There's not much inside, with hardly any insulation, corner bracing, and a tiny low-mid-high pass filter.
View attachment 2125472
However, these do have some sentimental value as these were my first pair of speakers that I actually used.

Some real Cabinet bracing, proper insulating material, and a proper crossover network should suffice. Only then would they sound truly decent.

I also have their smaller brother, the SSV6/7-150, 3-way with a 12" ribbed woofer. Not as rare but, someday...someday I'll stack 'em.
View attachment 2125476
Currently, that pair resides in the living room downstairs.
not rare, nor seldom seen.

There were far too many of these crap speaker 'systems' sold in the eighties.
far too many.
 
Love your L300/8 speakers! I also have the Compact C and the 1002/8 speakers, just had the woofers rebuilt by Richard. I will post photos shortly.
I need to get my 1002/8s done. I just did the cabinets. Same with my Output C/4s
 
Here are my additions:

Visonik David 50
Unmarked Satterberg speakers
Yamaha YST-SW1000
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20191018_173415407.jpg
    IMG_20191018_173415407.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20191018_173358663.jpg
    IMG_20191018_173358663.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20200612_121020979.jpg
    IMG_20200612_121020979.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200612_120938121.jpg
    IMG_20200612_120938121.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200612_121031663.jpg
    IMG_20200612_121031663.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20190827_190339893.jpg
    IMG_20190827_190339893.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom