• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rare Holy Grail Frazier Model Elevens

Love the 4430s, but like my 4435s even more. The 11s make these seem puny, at least in height!

20140330_181700_zps437fed31.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0080.jpg IMG_0084.jpg IMG_0080.jpg Two things #1 The Frazier 11s, are they also known as the Frazier Things. I think Jack Frazier made some of the finest speaker cabinets there were, that said I never cared for the way they sounded, now before you start sharpening your sticks, remember my fellow audiophiles, SOUND IS OPINION ! As for definition and maybe the closest I will ever get to hearing the JBL Everest Project, My JBL 4430s paired with my Pioneer 1280 TO ME are as good as it gets, they make me moist, Yea im not right. Keep in mind im not saying Frazier speakers don't sound good, they just don't blow my dress up.
 
You are fine expressing your opinion and you are correct that sound reproduction is the most subjective. I have three pair of Frazier models, along with 50+ other sets to compare. Of my Fraziers, Seven, IV and Concerto, I actually like the Concerto the best. For me, out of so many sets, I certainly have others that do more for me, but the Concerto's are amazing for their size and I find them to be exciting in a small package.
 
You are fine expressing your opinion and you are correct that sound reproduction is the most subjective. I have three pair of Frazier models, along with 50+ other sets to compare. Of my Fraziers, Seven, IV and Concerto, I actually like the Concerto the best. For me, out of so many sets, I certainly have others that do more for me, but the Concerto's are amazing for their size and I find them to be exciting in a small package.
I would like to add, I have never seen or heard The Frazier model 11s, its not like you find them in most homes. My first Frazier speakers were a pair of concerto's, the ones with the horn and piezo.I remember cranking Heart's Barracuda up back in 1977.
 
I have two sets of Frazier Monte Carlos collecting spider webs in my store room, I don't know what im ever going to do with them,they have really nice cabs. Sound wise, its an 8inch woofer running balls to wall to mate with a piezo that doesn't exist below 4k.
 
I found these pictures of the inside of serial # 3 Model Eleven, the pictures show the same basic layout and components that my two have, even the two 10uf in series. Todd C. is a wealth of Frazier information. :thmbsp:


Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:21


ELEVEN's, Sr. # 3 and 4 were the ORIGINAL set to go into the soundroom at Frazier. SO YOU HAVE A REAL 1st. A guy bought Sr. #'s 1 and 2 through Melody shops in Dallas, and paid extra to get #'s 1 and 2. BTW, whenever the warrenty cards were returned, Jack sent a letter to the owner. Sr. # 5 and 6 went to Hauer Music Co., in Dayton OH. WOW if I had the room, or a way to get them here I'd have 5 and 6 but.... I'll be happy with what I have now, that is till I find more deals at yard sales LOL.

Hey I was with Jack for almost 13 years, and sold Frazier's for another 3 years, and probably one of the finest moment I've ever had with Jack, was with our commercial/home dealer in Clovis NM, Norman Petty. Norman had a pair of 7's and Things in his control room, and a pair of 11's for his studio monitors. and two of everything we made in his showroom, which was a small church converted. If the name Norman Petty doesn't ring a bell, I'll explain. In the 50's Norman and his wife Vi had some pretty good hits as the Norman Petty Trio. He recorded for Top Rank, and Columbia. He was our dealer in his later years, but his real claim to fame was He recorded and backed Buddy Holly and The Crickets. They had no bread, so Norman said, list me as a co-author of the songs you write and I will record you and promote you for nothing. Well needless to say, until Holly went to NYC as a solo, he stayed with Petty. I've stood at the microphones where Buddy Holly recorded all his hits, held his guitar, and even played Vi's harpsichord that was prominent on "Everyday". Norman gave me a 5 disc album titled The Buddy Holly Story, that contains everything Buddy ever did. This was originally issued from Decca LTD in England, and the first run was only 500 sets. Mine was autograhped by Norman and it said, Todd There really was a Buddy Holly, There really is A Clovis New Mexico, Thanks for being a fan, Norman Petty. Well needless to say, the disc's have been played twice. Once to put them on tape in 1980, and once to burn them to cd's a couple of years ago. After i burned them to cd, I sent the set to The Buddy Holly Museum in Lubbock, Tx. I'm hoping next Feb., that my wife and I will travel there to see if they are using it., if not I'd like it back to give it to the Norman Petty Museum. Anyway when we get finished in Lubbock, we'll head to Dallas to see my cousin, and maybe a couple of us can get together, and then on to San Antonio for the rodeo. Ok That's my rambling for the time being. Oh by the way, Petty had many hits with many artists over the years, not just Holly. Todd

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:36 PM


to finish my story about Norman Petty. He moved into the only theatre in town when it closed down in the mid 60's, and while he used the old studio some, most of his stuff was done in the movie theathre with as he say's perfect accoustics including a natural reverb. It was in 1979 that he started using all the Frazier's...al la 7's, thungs and 11's, untill his death in 1985 at ONLY 57. Jack, by the way lived to be 83+, and suffered a fatal heart attack on his way to DFW airport to pick up our rep from Hawaii. He pulled over to the side of the road, and gave it up. What a way to go!!!!!!!
I have Jack Frazier own speakers from his own studio. I didn’t know what I had and put them in storage for 15 years.
Bobby from Texas Tornadoes got them after Jack died. He sold them on to a music biz guy from Texas. When that guy left town I bought them from him ( mostly because he was a pal and couldn’t take them with him) just as my studio with Jim Wirt closed. So they went into storage.
having reconnected with the friend he told me the story so I now have them out of storage and I’m going to have them checked out. I’m in LA so do you have any suggestions as to who could check them/ work on them?
 
FDCDD875-ADEE-4253-8461-95469637DE52.png Here is another fun fact from the Frazier group.. the 15” EV’s were coated and dampened and not stock EVM15’s
 
Back
Top Bottom