• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Raytheon 6BG6GA differences??

For additional reference, here are a couple pics of the 6BG6GAs that SND has been selling as the "super" variant compatible in dissipation (35W plates) to 6L6GC, 7581A or 7027A.

I bought a quad of those a few years ago to run in my old Jolida 302b. I was running them triode strapped with 100R Kiwame's. I was playing something very loud and lost one of the tubes, which took out the bias pot. The amp had a LOT of bass with those tubes.

jeff
 
The price on them has gone up. Not nearly the deal they once were, but still not bad for a name brand tube.

I'm still running the original quad I bought some years back, but have two more quad in reserve.

Previously was running them triode for a while, don't remember the resistor but I think 100R too. No problem. But, I'm back to UL mode with fixed bias at 45mA and 410 plate. No problem there either, but that's only 1/2 the alleged dissipation. They should last a LONG time.
 
Any other numbers on there? There is often a 3 digit code that will tell you who really made it. Raytheon did make their own tubes, but its not impossible that they are made by someone else and branded for Raytheon. The grey plate one does look like Raytheon numbering.

Not totally sure on the other one but I have a feeling its a GE made tube. Looks like I see the sand-etched dots that are consistant with GE tubes. A "188" somewhere on the glass or base would tell the tale.

No Numbers on the gray plates, just Raytheon Uniline and 3 rows of dots on the glass, There is a C18 Number on the base of the black plates as well as the Raytheon logo on the base, but just the 6BG6GA on the glass. Ido have a quad of NOS GE 6GB6GA's and will pull them out for comparison when I get a chance.
Regards,
Jim
 
The black plate tube on the right screams General Electric to me because of the way the numbers are etched on the glass. I would guess it was made by GE regardless of the markings.

The gray plate tube looks like a later Raytheon and much of the Raytheon line was made in Japan in later years. Not saying it is a bad thing, "Just Sayn'".
 
The Black plate on the right is identical to the General Electric 6GB6GA quad I have. Thanks for all the help, it looks like this one is solved.
Regards,
Jim
 
Last edited:
Hiya,

The quicksilvers are auto biasing.
Regards,
Jim

Well self/auto biasing usually means a tight window for tube variation as I am sure you know.

I do think this is all about what flavor of 6GB6GA sounds best then.

Not saying its a bad thing as this thread has been very informative. Just saying if you look at the usage of a 6GB6GA as intended you could have a wide array of tolerance slop and not notice it in a TV Horizontal Output circuit. Other than I figure some would burn out quicker if they are at the wrong end of the tolerance window.

Frannie
 
Hello folks. I have got a pair of Raytheon 6BG6GA, NOS. Black plates, made in Japan. Labeling says Q24 and Q18. I don't have much experience in tubes, so wondering when they could have been manufactured and which are higher rated in general, Japanese or USA-made? Thanks in advance.
 
the grey plate may not be a raytheon. most of the raytheon uniline small signgal tubes are rebrands, often japan (hitachi is common). to make even more confusing, the company that rebrands and resells often prints their own EIA codes on the tubes. sometimes the actual manufacturers cocdfes are still present and visible, sometimes not.
 
It's likely that the 6GB6G with ceramic internal components are from 807 tooling production, octal based.
 
Hello folks. I have got a pair of Raytheon 6BG6GA, NOS. Black plates, made in Japan. Labeling says Q24 and Q18. I don't have much experience in tubes, so wondering when they could have been manufactured and which are higher rated in general, Japanese or USA-made? Thanks in advance.
Could you post photos of these tubes? Does the guts look like these?

utvuzb1spf35y2fwrr4s.jpg


I believe that Channel Master tubes are Japanese-made. Maybe Matsushita using Raytheon jigs? :idea:
 
those stop-sign logos I'm more used to seeing on US production. I know RCA used them. Tung-Sol too I think?
I have seen some Matsushita-made Raytheon labeled tubes with stop signs—usually yellow lettering. I'm kinda remembering octal rectifier tubes.

:idea:
 
oh sure. anythings possible, really.
Do you know Channel Master's history? I remember seeing many of their tube boxes at electronic stores (all sadly gone now) in the 1980s-90s.

When Fry's went out of business, a part of me died with it. I built so many computers using the parts I bought there. :(
 
Back
Top Bottom