• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic LAB 400 With a Shure Stylus RS 8T

Its real wood veneer.
howie123 - the base is wood veneer on mine......
Thanks, I appreciate the replies! I remember a buddy of mine had a Radio Shack store back in the '70's and got all the TOTL Realistic stuff for cost. They really were well made components and sounded great. :)

Shure no longer makes nude styli, but some dealers still have originals in stock.

Hi Howard, sorry for going a bit OT but do you know of any sources for genuine Shure VN45MR (V15-IV) styli?
 
Since mine came with no headshell, I'm simply using one of my Technics headshells with an AT450 cartridge and an Audio Technica ATN3472SE stylus. It sounds ok - but different than my Technics TT's.

What cart/stylus set-up do you use? - I want to get the best sound I can (for less than $100).

Rob

I am not currently using the Lab 400 now. But when I had it in my main system I was using a Compass ATX5E with nude stylus (made by AT) on the original headshell. It was a very good combination that made the music come alive. :music: I am now using a Dual 606 TT in place of the Lab 400, as I feel it is just a little bit better TT. But I might put the Lab 400 in my secondary system. I'm just not sure yet, as I have about 15 TTs to play around with.
 
Thanks - I love it's look. I've been a Technics guy all my life, but this Hitachi just called out to me at Goodwill.......it makes my Technics look kinda bad.......

Rob

howie123 - the base is wood veneer on mine......


It would have called out to me also. It almost looks like mine. And i fell in love with mine the minute i saw it. I think this Realistic actually has the original stylus on it. Which means it wasnt used all that much.
 
Yes, it is a nice stylus. Just so you know, a nude stylus is of a higher quality--it means that it is both chemically and mechanically bonded to the cantilever, as opposed to non-nude which are just glued on. Today nude styli are rare and cost a pretty penny when you do find them in the model line. Shure no longer makes nude styli, but some dealers still have originals in stock.

You can tell all of that by just looking at a picture? lol Damn, im grateful to have found this site, i learn new things everyday.
 
Thanks, I appreciate the replies! I remember a buddy of mine had a Radio Shack store back in the '70's and got all the TOTL Realistic stuff for cost. They really were well made components and sounded great. :)



Hi Howard, sorry for going a bit OT but do you know of any sources for genuine Shure VN45MR (V15-IV) styli?


I love my Realistic gear. I have a set of Optimus 650's, 2 Realistic STA-90's, and 2 Realistic STA-430's. They all work, and sound good to these ears.
 
I am not currently using the Lab 400 now. But when I had it in my main system I was using a Compass ATX5E with nude stylus (made by AT) on the original headshell. It was a very good combination that made the music come alive. :music: I am now using a Dual 606 TT in place of the Lab 400, as I feel it is just a little bit better TT. But I might put the Lab 400 in my secondary system. I'm just not sure yet, as I have about 15 TTs to play around with.


Wow, 15?? I only own two. The Sony i have is (i think) a PSXL series or something of that nature, its a direct drive.
 
I am not currently using the Lab 400 now. But when I had it in my main system I was using a Compass ATX5E with nude stylus (made by AT) on the original headshell. It was a very good combination that made the music come alive. :music: I am now using a Dual 606 TT in place of the Lab 400, as I feel it is just a little bit better TT. But I might put the Lab 400 in my secondary system. I'm just not sure yet, as I have about 15 TTs to play around with.


Was that stylus better than the original that came with the 400?
 
Yes, it is a nice stylus. Just so you know, a nude stylus is of a higher quality--it means that it is both chemically and mechanically bonded to the cantilever, as opposed to non-nude which are just glued on. Today nude styli are rare and cost a pretty penny when you do find them in the model line. Shure no longer makes nude styli, but some dealers still have originals in stock.


If i did eventually want to change the Stylus, how would i go about doing it on this turntable? The two screws on the top, and maybe 4 pins to unattatch it?
 
If i did eventually want to change the Stylus, how would i go about doing it on this turntable? The two screws on the top, and maybe 4 pins to unattatch it?
Okay, some terminology is in order. The thing that is held on by screws is the cartridge. What it is screwed to is called the headshell. The headshell plugs into the tonearm and is held secured by that locking ring. The stylus (also called needle) is the assembly that consists of the diamond tip and the cantilever, the flexy arm onto which the diamond tip is attached. That assembly, held together by the plastic you see jutting out the front, slides into the cartridge. So to remove and replace the stylus, you should first remove the headshell from the arm, then pull the plastic of the stylus assembly out toward you. You don't have to unscrew the cartridge from the headshell, but you might need to loosen those screws later to re-align the cartridge, if necessary.
 
Okay, some terminology is in order. The thing that is held on by screws is the cartridge. What it is screwed to is called the headshell. The headshell plugs into the tonearm and is held secured by that locking ring. The stylus (also called needle) is the assembly that consists of the diamond tip and the cantilever, the flexy arm onto which the diamond tip is attached. That assembly, held together by the plastic you see jutting out the front, slides into the cartridge. So to remove and replace the stylus, you should first remove the headshell from the arm, then pull the plastic of the stylus assembly out toward you. You don't have to unscrew the cartridge from the headshell, but you might need to loosen those screws later to re-align the cartridge, if necessary.


Can you get a stylus for a cartridge this old?
 
Actually I thought there were still originals being sold, but it appears that they are all aftermarket replacements. These two would be the best:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9592

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1022

This one is next best:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/proddetail.php?prod=4760de

Why thank you kind sir. You have been a huge help! I may replace my stylus soon, just to be on the safe side. But i want to keep the cart since its the original.
 
Actually I thought there were still originals being sold, but it appears that they are all aftermarket replacements. These two would be the best:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9592

http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1022

This one is next best:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/proddetail.php?prod=4760de

Thanks for those links, too! I remember someone mentioning the SAS stylus (forgot exactly where) and they have one for me as well. I guess I can forget original Shure replacements (bought my last in '88).
http://www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1049
 
Why thank you kind sir. You have been a huge help! I may replace my stylus soon, just to be on the safe side. But i want to keep the cart since its the original.


I just re-replaced mine for fun. I'm sure your Realistic's stylus replacement is similar. You just need to be careful not to touch the stylus itself and then holding the replacement stylus assembly by the sides (the squarish plastic piece), gently slide it into place. There seems to be a bit of resistance but you'll know when it's aligned correctly. Just remember that nothing needs to be "forced". :)

sty3.jpg


sty2.jpg


sty1.jpg


sty04.jpg
 
I just re-replaced mine for fun. You just need to be careful not to touch the stylus itself and then holding by the sides (kinda like docking a space ship) gently slide it into place. There seems to be a bit of resistance but you'll know when it's aligned correctly. Just remember that nothing needs to be "forced". :)

sty3.jpg


sty2.jpg


sty1.jpg


Thanks. Ill have to order a stylus or two after i get this table. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom