• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Lab-8500 a.k.a. Canadian/Euro ltd Lab-500 - Feedback, Thoughts, Reviews?

SFP

Active Member
Looking at picking up a Lab-8500 TT.

Does not appear to be much info out there on them. As far as I can tell it was a Canada (and possibly Euro) custom edition of the Lab-500.

Research points to it being built by Mitsubishi (possibly ITT).

It's a quartz lock direct drive. Has a repeat play function. Looks damn nice and reminds me of the Marantz 6300 TT.

The one I am looking at is mint - 10/10. Has the green Audio Technica cartridge on it (low hours)

It would be my first DD added to my collection (have been looking at a Yamaha-YP701 as well).

But as a few others seem to have posted over the years on this unit, not much info seems to be floating around out there on this model.

Anyone own one and have real world feedback?

Photos from seller
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4465.jpeg
    IMG_4465.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4466.jpeg
    IMG_4466.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4468.jpeg
    IMG_4468.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I was under the impression it was built by CEC.
Look for makers mark under the platter. It is a nice turntable. There are a few models that basically the same including the Marantz and a Toshiba if I am not mistaken. There are service videos on youtube for this model. Fresh grease and oil in the motor would not hurt if it has never been serviced.

The Marantz tax on this model is laughable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SFP
Nope, not CEC. I've looked at that one too and it is pretty obvious it comes from the same place as the LAB-500 which COULD be Mitsubishi.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SFP
It also bears only superficial resemblance to anything from Marantz. Closer to Toshiba perhaps, and definitely ITT.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SFP
Looking at picking up a Lab-8500 TT.

Does not appear to be much info out there on them. As far as I can tell it was a Canada (and possibly Euro) custom edition of the Lab-500.

Research points to it being built by Mitsubishi (possibly ITT).

It's a quartz lock direct drive. Has a repeat play function. Looks damn nice and reminds me of the Marantz 6300 TT.

The one I am looking at is mint - 10/10. Has the green Audio Technica cartridge on it (low hours)

It would be my first DD added to my collection (have been looking at a Yamaha-YP701 as well).

But as a few others seem to have posted over the years on this unit, not much info seems to be floating around out there on this model.

Anyone own one and have real world feedback?

Photos from seller

That's a good machine. And at the time, who knew, it was Radio Shack, Realistic brand.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SFP
Once again @SFP you are scooping me! But this time it's by choice. I saw this one a few days ago and while it is nice, I am trying to downsize the collection not add to it. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: SFP
Once again @SFP you are scooping me! But this time it's by choice. I saw this one a few days ago and while it is nice, I am trying to downsize the collection not add to it. :)
I hear you. I just posted a local ad for 5 Dual turntables. All restored. 2 x 1219, 606, 1009, 601 all for $1000. All new parts where required. I'm tired of the hobby. I may do a few over the winter if I get the urge.
 
Nope, not CEC. I've looked at that one too and it is pretty obvious it comes from the same place as the LAB-500 which COULD be Mitsubishi.
Looking at the tonearm and backplate, I have my doubts it's a Mitsubishi. It's probably a Toshiba. I can't verify this because the Canadian group bought separately from the U.S. buying group.
 
Back
Top Bottom