• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Realistic Trio 3s...

1963Christop

New Member
Am at wits end trying to find something on these speakers, something other that what did find looking at vintage radio shack catalogs from 1959-60. Google hits are minimal. Anyone ?..
 
Register to hide this ad
Thank you, rkgren1... am wondering how these sound, basically. I know the RadioShack catalog's specs, although I can't find a catalog page that specifically refers to them as Realistic Trio 3. Picked up a pair, sound unseen, off ebay the other day. Just wanting to hear about anyone's experience with them. Am wondering if I'm going to need to repair or replace the drivers.
 
Cristop,
Check the resistance across the terminals and make sure that nothing is shorted.
It should be around 8 ohm.
If all seems well then give them a try and see how they perform.

You will want to get inside and get the specs off any electrolytic capacitors in the crossover and replace them with new equivalents.
That will likely improve their performance by a large margin.
Parts Express is a good source for speaker caps.
 
Anything you could tell me about the drivers inside ? An eight inch woofer and two rotating tweeters per unit ?

I'm in Houston and we've been brutally pounded over the last 72 hours by Harvey. Speakers should be in my hands around Friday....
 
From the 1960 RS catalog, pg 59:
trio-speaker-text.png

Sorry to hear about all of the flooding down there.
I am in southeast VA, and I have seen several hurricanes/tropical storms over the last 15 years or so.
Hurricane Floyd dumped 27 in. of rain on my house and took out half of the trees in my neighborhood.
You know what I am talking about, rain so heavy you cannot see the street from your house, and that never lets up for 12 solid hours.
It took days to get one road out to the main highway passable and 3-1/2 weeks to get electricity back on.
All the roads in my neighborhood were one lane only for more than 6 months because of all of the wood stacked up on the side of the road.
I had some minor damage to my house, superficial for the most part.
I was very fortunate.

Some years later Isabel snapped off a big pine tree that had recently been struck by lightning at my Dad's house. It crushed the center and back porch of the house. He had died a few months prior and the house was empty. I had driven over there to check on things during the storm. I was sorting through bric-a-brac for an estate sale just to the right of the tree in the picture, when there was a sudden heavy gust of wind followed by what sounded like dynamite going off straight out the back. I knew exactly what it was and I stood up to run, then realized that I had no idea where the tree was going, so I just sat back down.
tree+strap.JPG

That same storm devastated the low-lying areas of the neighboring city of Poquoson.
Hundreds of houses had over 6 ft of water in them.
People of modest means were living in FEMA-supplied campers in their driveways for years.
You will likely see similar things there.
 
Help ! Now I need some capacitor help. See the attached photos. Am I reading this right ? A 4 microfarad, ac 30v capacitor ?

Also, I'm wondering about the ratings stamp on the back of the woofer and tweeters. Two 16 ohm tweeters wired in parallel to present and 8 ohm load I get, but rated at 2 watts ? And a 4 watt woofer ?

Before I pulled the backs I measured 7.73 ohms on each cabinet, after taking the backs I'm also completely convinced the backs had never been removed. Every internal nut and bolt and screw on the inside looks to have an original coating of Loctite on it. Surrounds on the woofer appear to be completely intact. Plan on powering them up this weekend to see how they sound.
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 19
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
Those are probably realistic "continuous power" ratings for the drivers. They should be fine with, say 15 to 25 watt per channel amplifiers at reasonable volumes. Music isn't sine waves. Well, it is in a mathematical (Fourier) sense, but -- you know what I mean! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom