• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recapping and repairing a Harman Kardon 730 twin power series stereo receiver

How much of a pain is it to separate boards that are connected together? Do you just pry them apart?

That part is easy, prying the boards apart.

For the tuning needle light that you updated to an LED, where is the yellow wire going to from your homemade board?

The original red wires that powered the original dial pointer lamp went back to posts on the back of the long fuse style lamp board. Those original wires were not long enough to supply my new regulator board, so I replaced them with two yellow wires.

The new yellow wires go to the same spots as the original red wires.

Did you replace the tuning strength light? That particular light does not work on my 730.

No, I did not need to.
 
Last edited:
The open frame trimpots from the 330A, 330B and 330C scare me every time as i've gone to adjust them before, with power on, only to have them physically fall apart.

So, all these units get new sealed trimpots

The three-legged potentiometers need to be turned into two-legged variable resistors, so the middle leg gets bent and shorted to one of the outside legs and soldered together.

View attachment 1646042
View attachment 1646043
View attachment 1646044

And now the trimpots can be safely trimmed with power on

View attachment 1646045
On the 730 I did, that was not necessary. There were already all 3 holes for 3 legged trim pots. 2 holes on the same trace. ;) Yours have them too.
 

Attachments

  • HK-730 Amplifier Board trimmer.jpg
    HK-730 Amplifier Board trimmer.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 227
Hmmm... this is a new one for me: the 2SC1400 diff amp small signal transistors on the power amp boards have “gone noisy” in the second hk730 I’m working on. They are producing very loud crackling that begins at startup, occurs randomly, not tied to control knob adjustment, not specific to any function selection, and unaffected by volume control.

replacing them with hfe-matched KSC1845F eliminated the crackling, so these 2SC1400 were noisy.
 

Attachments

  • A2AC6F8F-5346-4C6F-BB93-35AF8338AD89.jpeg
    A2AC6F8F-5346-4C6F-BB93-35AF8338AD89.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 18EF693E-DB21-41B1-B8F3-9968F9F3B878.jpeg
    18EF693E-DB21-41B1-B8F3-9968F9F3B878.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 293
  • 554BEEA7-DF22-4DD4-8A28-C5408F22FEA0.jpeg
    554BEEA7-DF22-4DD4-8A28-C5408F22FEA0.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 275
  • 1988BE4B-4D48-431A-9C2D-B6B687D93EFF.jpeg
    1988BE4B-4D48-431A-9C2D-B6B687D93EFF.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 282
Hmmm... this is a new one for me: the 2SC1400 diff amp small signal transistors on the power amp boards have “gone noisy” in the second hk730 I’m working on. They are producing very loud crackling that begins at startup, occurs randomly, not tied to control knob adjustment, not specific to any function selection, and unaffected by volume control.

replacing them with hfe-matched KSC1845F eliminated the crackling, so these 2SC1400 were noisy.
That just goes to prove that you can't trust old silicon. The leads look so shiny and clean too so you can't blame the "black creep" this time.
 
On the 730 I did, that was not necessary. There were already all 3 holes for 3 legged trim pots. 2 holes on the same trace. ;) Yours have them too.

Right you are! Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • EBE78AAA-5122-42B9-B2BB-A379C9010A44.jpeg
    EBE78AAA-5122-42B9-B2BB-A379C9010A44.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 213
Ok, looks like this is a great opportunity to restore (i.e. nuke from orbit) the power amp, tone and phono boards....

power amp board first

IMG_2999.JPEG

IMG_3001.JPEG

IMG_3003.JPEG

IMG_3034.JPEG


IMG_3035.JPEG

IMG_3040.JPEG
 
I have barely had a chance to listen to it, but I am so glad that Doug was able and willing to do the work on this old HK. I plan on listening to it for many years to come.

how does the hk 730 twin power sound now that you’ve had some time with it, @sfox52 ?
 
Doug, The 730 is sounding great in my office system. I had been using the SX-626 there. The HK is plenty for my NLA speakers, and the tuner is more sensitive and quieter than the Pioneer. I haven't tried the phono function yet, though I do have a turntable hooked up. Thanks again for the great work!
 
Doug, The 730 is sounding great in my office system. I had been using the SX-626 there. The HK is plenty for my NLA speakers, and the tuner is more sensitive and quieter than the Pioneer. I haven't tried the phono function yet, though I do have a turntable hooked up. Thanks again for the great work!
I also found the tuner in the 730 to be exceptional. And is much more "quiet" than most tuners out there making it not fatiguing at all. Of the last two I rebuilt, one of the owners came close to me not wanting to give it back. :p Makes me wish I owned one just for the tuner. :music:
 
The phono stage getting 100% rebuilt and the RIAA/IEC mod
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3239.JPEG
    IMG_3239.JPEG
    41.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3242.JPEG
    IMG_3242.JPEG
    41.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3246.JPEG
    IMG_3246.JPEG
    46.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3249.JPEG
    IMG_3249.JPEG
    43.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3252.JPEG
    IMG_3252.JPEG
    38.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3256.JPEG
    IMG_3256.JPEG
    40.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3260.JPEG
    IMG_3260.JPEG
    40.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3304.JPEG
    IMG_3304.JPEG
    47.2 KB · Views: 269
Can you please work up a BOM for that whenever you get a chance? I bought phono board from someone on eBay and would like to do this some day.
 
Can you please work up a BOM for that whenever you get a chance? I bought phono board from someone on eBay and would like to do this some day.

I'm finally getting time to post this. Here is the parts list I used when rebuilding the entire phono board and putting in the RIAA/IEC mod:

Component Qty Type Sub-type value 1 value 2 purpose mouser PN ​
C701,C702 2 Capacitor Electrolytic 22 uF 10 V signal 647-UKL1E220MDDANATA ​
C703,C704,C711,C712 4 Capacitor Ceramic 47 pF 50 V signal 810-FG28C0G1H470JNT0 ​
C705,C706 2 Capacitor Ceramic 3300 pF 50 V signal 810-FG28C0G1H332JNT0 ​
C707,C708 2 Capacitor Ceramic 0.012 uF 50 V signal 80-MMK5123J50J01TR18 ​
C709,C710 2 Capacitor Electrolytic 100 uF 10 V signal 647-UKL1A101MED1TD ​
C713,C714 2 Capacitor Electrolytic 22 uF 10 V signal 647-UKL1V220MEDANA (corrected from 33 uF)​
C715alt,C716alt 2 Capacitor Ceramic 0.33 uF 50 V signal 505-MKS2C033301C00MI ​
C717alt,C718alt 2 Capacitor Electrolytic 1 uF 35 V signal 505-MKS2C041001F00MI ​
C719,C720 2 Capacitor Electrolytic 1 uF 50 V signal 505-MKS2C041001F00MI ​
C721alt,C722alt 2 Capacitor Electrolytic 470 uF 25 V power 647-UPW1E471MPD ​
Q701,Q702 2 Transistor BJT 2SA872 ( E ) ECB signal 512-KSA992FTA ​
Q703,Q704,Q705,Q706 4 Transistor BJT 2SC1345 ( E ) BCE signal 512-KSC1845FTA ​
R_on_back_of_board 2 Resistor Carbon composition 5.6K 250 mW signal 71-CCF555K62FKE36 ​
R701,R702,R705,R706,R707,R708 6 Resistor Carbon composition 100K 250 mW signal 71-CCF55100KFKE36 ​
R703,R704,R727,R728,R733,R734 6 Resistor Carbon composition 220 R 250 mW signal 71-CCF55221RFKE36 ​
R709,R710,R715,R716 4 Resistor Carbon composition 330K 250 mW signal 71-CCF55-332K-E3 ​
R711,R712 2 Resistor Carbon composition 470 R 250 mW signal 71-CCF55475RFKE36 ​
R713,R714 2 Resistor Carbon composition 22K 250 mW signal 71-CCF55-22.1K-E3 ​
R717,R718 2 Resistor Carbon composition 3.9K 250 mW signal 71-CCF553K92FKE36 ​
R719,R720 2 Resistor Carbon composition 100 R 250 mW signal 71-CCF55100RFKE36 ​
R721,R722 2 Resistor Carbon composition 15K 250 mW signal 71-CCF5515K0FKE36 ​
R723,R724 2 Resistor Carbon composition 270K 250 mW signal 71-CCF55274KFKE36 ​
R725,R726 2 Resistor Carbon composition 120K 250 mW signal 71-CCF55121KFKE36 ​
R729,R730 2 Resistor Carbon composition 10K 250 mW signal 71-CCF5510K0FKE36 ​
R731,R732 2 Resistor Carbon composition 220K 250 mW signal 71-CCF55221KFKE36 ​
R735,R736 2 Resistor Carbon composition 680 R 250 mW signal 71-CCF55680RFKE36 ​

Before or original state:

01 before IMG_3188.JPEG

Nudie:

02 nudie IMG_3239.JPEG

After rebuilding:

03 after IMG_3304.JPEG

Installed:

04 installed IMG_3339.JPEG

And I hope the owner will chime in and let us know how the recap, upgrades and phono EQ curve mods sound....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom