• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Recommends for stylus for Shure M55 cartridge

To add to the confusion, I have a EVG 759de with brown grip and it just says 2 grams. It's 4x7 also. From Anderson music on fleabay. Sounds great, I've never heard a stock m44e.I have a jico m44g coming from Germany, I hope it's not an EVG made in their factory as I've heard they aren't as good. It cost less than a shure stylus and nobody else makes an aftermarket m44g. I have a newish 447 but it doesn't track as well as my sc35c but I'm looking for a lighter tracker.

What turntable are you using?
 
A related question if I may, is that "Precision manufactured by Shure" phrase just marketing speak for "Made in Mexico"?
 
EVG 759-DE available on ebay. I have one and it sounds VERY good especially for the money.

Or EVG (4)759-DET available at the Voice of Music. https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/default.asp
Have used both suggested above. If you are feeling generous get the Jico. Nice sound. Have used the EVGs from Gary at Voice of Music with good results. Getting ready to order some from him after this post. Nice of you to set up a system for her. Spread the Karma around.
 
We found at the radio station beside the fact the N-55E was to fragile that it had a very resonate high end that would give the D-essers fits, so we went back Stanton 500 series, Whats a D-esser. If you push a compressor or limiter or combo to hard you end up with a signal that over emphasizes higher frequencies which transmitters and the link between the studio and the transmitter don't like either. High freq distortion is the last thing you want in broadcasting. So either the compressor had a circuit to suppress these higher frequency modulations or a separate piece was added.

We don't have that issue at home because most of us have ample headroom and we don't use compressors. But still the idea of cartridge with a resonant high end is one of my pet peeves. So be it Shure, AT, Pickering, London, Ortofon, or some B&O mmc, to name a few, resonant anything is a big no no for me. early tweeters with metal resonating diaphragms are an issue for me, too. All you need is a V-15 1 or II and a Apogee paneled speaker and I am ready to head for the hills. Some of the early JBL with the bullet ring radiator I hated to install. I would have to get away from any loud sounds for the rest of the day it bothered my ears, so. Early FM tuners with leaky pilot signal drove me crazy. Fortunately I can only hear to 17 kHz anymore. Older TV's with their horizontal circuits screaming were an issue for me to.

Brilliant!
Ok so I may ask these questions then.
What else in the Shure line has this resonance that is prominent and can you recommemd carts that don't have this prominent resonance?
 
Hello, and thanks for the confirmation.

I have always used the N55E stylus with the M55E cart. Forgive the naive question, but am I to understand that this 759-D7 is not elliptical like the N55E/759-DE? Is the M55E cartridge the same as the M55 cartridge? I recently had the good fortune to stumble upon a box of Zenith-packaged styli, and it now looks as though I can use both the 759-DE that was in there as well as the 759-D7. Curious what the difference is.
 
Hello, and thanks for the confirmation.

I have always used the N55E stylus with the M55E cart. Forgive the naive question, but am I to understand that this 759-D7 is not elliptical like the N55E/759-DE? Is the M55E cartridge the same as the M55 cartridge? I recently had the good fortune to stumble upon a box of Zenith-packaged styli, and it now looks as though I can use both the 759-DE that was in there as well as the 759-D7. Curious what the difference is.

759 is Pfanstiehl's model number. Pfanstiehl came up with the best numbering system and it is used by others as well. In your examples, and it is common...'D' = diamond,
'E' = elliptical, '7' = 0.7 mil conical.
 
I get that there are elliptical styli and conical styli. What I'm still not clear on is the difference in the cartridges. My current cartridge/needle are the Shure M55E/N55E. If the 759-D7--which I believe is a conical Shure N44--can work with my M55E cartridge, then what is the difference between an M55E and an M55 cartridge?
 
I get that there are elliptical styli and conical styli. What I'm still not clear on is the difference in the cartridges. My current cartridge/needle are the Shure M55E/N55E. If the 759-D7--which I believe is a conical Shure N44--can work with my M55E cartridge, then what is the difference between an M55E and an M55 cartridge?
Unless I'm missing something, M55 is the M55E. They just left off the E.

IIRC, the cartridge bodies in M44, M55, and original V15 series are the same, aside from the badging on the cartridge.
 
1 have a a 44e and a 44g and can't find an aftermarket n55e that works well. I've tried 2 phanstiehls 447 and 55e, that both work but ride way too low. A nos Astatic 55e that is sibilant. I have an n44g and an n447, Shures that work great. Also a German 447, see previous post, was supposed to be a 44g, an Astatic 44g and even a $10 44g that all work great. I guess I need to try Jico, but I got another table(5) that works great with an m75ed with a Shure 3x, so I guess I'll get an n75ed. Maybe it'll cure my addiction to cheap stylus, I have a wooden silverware case full of them.
 
but I got another table(5) that works great with an m75ed with a Shure 3x, so I guess I'll get an n75ed. Maybe it'll cure my addiction to cheap stylus, I have a wooden silverware case full of them.

Give the following Shure M75 HE Type 2 replacement stylus a try, if it is of interest to you.

You may be pleasantly surprise and miraculously cured of your present addiction. :biggrin:
https://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHN075HET2LP
 
1 have a a 44e and a 44g and can't find an aftermarket n55e that works well. I've tried 2 phanstiehls 447 and 55e, that both work but ride way too low.

The suspension system is an important aspect of a stylus assembly. Pfanstiehl and EVG have the same design as each other but differ from the Shure originals and JICO which are more refined.

A nos Astatic 55e that is sibilant. I have an n44g and an n447, Shures that work great. Also a German 447, see previous post, was supposed to be a 44g, an Astatic 44g and even a $10 44g that all work great.

Of the few times I've encountered sibilance, it was due to either too low tracking force or to a mismatch of stylus to tone-arm.

I guess I need to try Jico, but I got another table(5) that works great with an m75ed with a Shure 3x, so I guess I'll get an n75ed.

The Shure 3X stylus tracks between 2.5 and 3.5 grams so is better suited to medium mass tone-arms. The M75ED with a N75ED stylus should track between .75 and 1.5 grams which should be used in low mass tone-arms with low friction bearings.

If your tone-arm likes the 3X stylus, then I would suggest a N75EJ stylus for the M75ED cartridge body

Maybe it'll cure my addiction to cheap stylus, I have a wooden silverware case full of them.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/index.php?cPath=18
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom