• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Collecting - Your Secret Pleasure

Blue Oyster Cult. I have nearly 3 or 4 copies of damn near all their albums. And Billy Joel. And what's that in the corner? Abba Arrival.... Voulez-Vous!!!!

;)


Matt
 
jonman said:
From the titled you list you may already have this CD "The Copulatin' Blues Compact Disc", Jass J-CD-1 a couple of the songs you mention are on this disc. It is also available as part of a three disc boxset. The others I used to have on varios Doctor Demento collections.
Yep, that and a few other CD's comprise most of my collection of this genre.

I'm also lucky enough to own some original 78s, including "Minnie the Moocher", "Don't You Feel My Leg", "The Peanut Man (Hot Nuts)", "If You're a Viper", "Willie the Weeper", "Knocking Myself Out", "I Wish I Was a Fairy" and "The Woodpecker Song", to name a few.

Two other fun CD's along thes lines are "Listen to the Banned", a collection of double entendre ("With His Little Ukelele In His Hand") (mostly) British vaudeville tunes and "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" from Columbia's Art Deco series. The "Can't Help..." CD is made up mostly of songs resulting from the strict lyric copyright laws of the time. It seems you couldn't change one jot of the lyrics when recording. These recordings also come from a time that popular songs were covered by many artists. Famous bands and vocalists wanted to cash in on a popular song, such as "The Man I Love", but since couldn't change the lyrics, they came up with some inintended results. There are, however, a few songs on the CD where there's no question of intent.

Doug
 
I can't help buying limited edition LP's. Small labels, smaller pressings, color vinyl (yeah I know poor sound quality,but so pretty). I while back I was buying nothing but 45's. That got out of control. Then I got a mid-fi TT (Sota) and my buying habits changed. Yesterday I picked up a mint copy of Magic Christian music by Badfinger. I already own the soundtrack. Also, a cool Audio Obstacle Course Shure trackability test record from 1967 (just for the cover). One cool thing about this LP. It has an entire page on the Shure V15 type II super - track cartridge. If anyone wants a scan of this I can post it in a seperate thread.
 
Any and all vinyl recordings by New Jersey's finest, The Misfits -- 7 inch, 12 inch, promo, plain and "colored" wax, UK, US & worldwide releases. Oh yeah, I collect their picture sleeves, too. No CDs..well, maybe one or two a CD-R boots of rare shows. Also every known vinyl recording of The Groundhogs and/or T.S. McPhee. ~Edwin
 
I'm sure it is a regional thing here in the Carolinas but I go for "Beach Music". It runs from the late 40's to the mid 60's. Clyde McPhatter,Ruth Brown,Dominoes--You know 60 Minute Man.
 
Ditto on the Linda Ronstadt. I picked up one her old LP's (Simple Dreams-1977) the other day that had been laying around gathering dust. It's mostly songs written by others but brought back lots of memories of being totally infatuated with her looks and voice. Sounds great on the vintage Pioneer PL 530 turntable despite the modern cartridge and needle. She is in need of a career revival ala Emmy Lou Harris or Loretta Lynn.
 
cqn't help buying

Another Boots Randolph fan also have everything I can find by Pete Fountain, and the Dukes of Dixieland
 
robertk said:
Scorpion;

Another tangerine dream fan here. At least thru about 1988 or so. Their early stuff--with the different bandmembers--is much better. The music they do is pretty much personality based where the 3 members "touch down" on occasion and then go off on their own whims. To me, it was a huge loss when Johannes Schmeling left & solo albums by former members are better than the subsequent tangerine dream albums.

Couldn't agree more. I think "Tyger" was the last I purchased. Edgar Froese's "Stunt Man" is one of my favorites ....
 
Like Tentoze, not really any guilt about it, but I get the most static about the Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins Gunfighter songs and Kris Kristofferson than anything else in the collection. First time I played some Reeves, after decades of abstinence (My father was the fan, and I grew up listening to him), SWMBO about had a fit.

Seems she hates 50’s-60’s CW, and doesn’t think much of the genre overall. Something to do with her stepfathers music… Wait till I pick up some Johnny Cash, and more Patsy Cline.

I’m not really into CW, but I do like to listen to people who can really sing, (Jim, Marty and Patsy) and people that can tell a good story in a song (Kris, Marty, and Johnny)
 
outlawmws said:
Like Tentoze, not really any guilt about it, but I get the most static about the Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins Gunfighter songs and Kris Kristofferson than anything else in the collection.
If you haven't heard it, you need to get your hands on Ry Cooder's cover of "He'll Have to Go" on the "Chicken Skin Music" album. It's a killer!

Doug
 
geez, I'd say Linda Ronstadt is my secret pleasure -- female vocalists in general. Kate Bush, for some reason, I can not stop buying either.
 
DougMac said:
If you haven't heard it, you need to get your hands on Ry Cooder's cover of "He'll Have to Go" on the "Chicken Skin Music" album. It's a killer!

Doug

Hmmm, Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :scratch2:
 
I will mention one album I cannot bring myself to buy, even for a buck:

Thriller, by Michael Jackson.

Some of the tunes are ok and it reminds my of senior year in high school as well as freshman year of college, a feat duplicated only by Synchronicity by the Police.

But I just cannot do it after that last trial. I just can't....:no:
 
I’m not really into CW, but I do like to listen to people who can really sing, (Jim, Marty and Patsy) and people that can tell a good story in a song (Kris, Marty, and Johnny)[/QUOTE]
If that's the case you really need to get some George Jones. 50 years in the business and he's still going strong. I didn't like CW either till I heard him.
 
Back
Top Bottom