• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Collecting - Your Secret Pleasure

Saratoga48 said:
Another Boots Randolph fan also have everything I can find by Pete Fountain, and the Dukes of Dixieland

I would love to have more Pete Fountain stuff. He really kicks ass on the clarinet. Pretty good for a white guy. :)
 
John Stewart

Grainger49 said:
I am not ashamed, but no one seems to know John Stewart.
I have several of his albums, some of which were quite good. My favorite is Cannons In The Rain, RCA AFL1-4827. The FI is HI too, which is a big plus.
 
Kidding me? Half my collection is guilty pleasures. Like thedelihaus, I enjoy a good Enoch Light record once in a while. I especially like Command records with Tony Mottola, Dick Hyman and/or Doc Severinsen on them. Nice way to demo your system - which I guess was part of the point of buying them at the time.

Post-space age instrumental is another weakness of mine. Phil Bodner's Brass Ring and King Richard's Fluegel Knights are a couple of my favorites.

But I can never own up to telling anyone how much Lawrence Welk I have. :no:
 
My 2 records I grab every time I see them is Steely Dans Goucho and the Comodores Midnight Magic. And then there is Elvis, I dont really keep them but a fella I work with is an Elvis fanatic, I figure I have given him at least 100 elvis records over the years
 
Henry Mancini for me on RCA Living Stereo. Find a clean copy of The Pink Panther and listen to the first track. It hooked me and might hook you too.
 
Fishstink said:
Henry Mancini for me on RCA Living Stereo. Find a clean copy of The Pink Panther and listen to the first track. It hooked me and might hook you too.
:thmbsp:
 
I'm listening to the "Iron Eagle" soundtrack. I got for a buck, and I know the bass player from Adrenalin, (The "Road of The Gypsy tune). Sometimes I cover myself in butter and listen to Melissa Etheridge too.
 
I randomly buy old country and bluegrass albums if the song titles or artists are something I want to hear. I end up with lots of compilation stuff, but those are really hard to beat when you just want to listen to music and not necessarily an album.
 
Okay, I've got to chime in. I'm not as bad as I used to be, mostly 'cause my two little boys keep me from roaming the racks like I used to. Also, years ago, I used to work in a store with used books, records, CDS, etc. Uggh. . .daily temptations! I've since pared down to just a couple thousand, and I still can't help myself whenever I'm at the local GW looking for abandoned audio treasures.

My guilty pleasures are novelty records, and the stupider the better! This includes sound effects, CB radio and trucker LPs, anything having to do with race cars or motorcycles, racy stuff from the 50s and 60s, any strange books being read on LP or famous people reading their stuff, motivational records from the 50s and 60s, stuff in other languages, etc. I've acquired quite a collection of really wacky, dumb, and strange records.

I did have a friend who once bought every copy she saw of Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream and Other Delights. She eventually wallpapered an entire room with the album covers. :yes:

Oh, and I almost forgot to add that I buy every K-Tel or Ronco compilation I see in good condition. Sick sick sick!
 
To the Linda Ronstadt fans;

Go get the Philip Glass album "1000 airplanes on the roof". He uses her as the primary vocalist on this and she hits notes and sings far better than I thought possible. Not too many rock people can handle those types of vocals & although she's no Dora Ohrenstein, you really have no clue it's Ronstadt singing and hitting--and holding--those notes.
 
I guess my passion is George Jones have over 400 different albums by him.Ok so i'm a country nut but to each his own.I guess next in line would be country gospel.
Mushy
 
must be the New Orleans thing

jasong said:
I would love to have more Pete Fountain stuff. He really kicks ass on the clarinet. Pretty good for a white guy. :)
Keep trying the thrifts, up here at least, I usually find one or two a week, Im overflowing with Pete Fountain and Al Hirt, If you like Pete, try some Woody Herman, if you can find anything recorded from the mid fifties on.
 
there is something about tommy roe that i just cant seem to part with his records , and songs like SHEILA, DIZZY, SWEET PEA, JAM UP AND JELLY TIGHT ,Hooray for Hazel, PARTY GIRL.
 
Henry Mancini for me on RCA Living Stereo.

I have an entire section of Mancini (right next to Hugo Montenegro). Still looking for his cop themes LP.


And I too seek out K-Tel and Ronco compiliations.
 
No guilt here as well. Post space age instrumentals. There's Frank Comstock and then the shiznet is a Cuban fellow named Esquivel. Really souped up versions of 40's and 50's standards.

I buy all the decent condition copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert that I can find. Couldn't tell you the name of any of the songs on the album though.
 
Oh that's easy THE BEATLES, only problem is do to my lack of knowledge at the time I started around 3 years ago I passed on a few things that I still need, and now are selling for a nice piece of change. Also i've found in collecting Beatles I seem to have to bid against the same bidders with newbies joining the list all the time. I have found a few really nice deals though.
 
toasted-- with all due respect, i submit that mr. esquivel was mexican, not cubano....yes, checking in several googles and wiki's, esquivel was mexican, born in tampico....
 
Thanks for the correction and I hope I didn't offend. You have any of his material? He's hot stuff in my book, and I thought he was recorded really well with great separation. On a decent rig it's coming from all over the room. Great fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom