• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rectifier Tube Question

geode

F4 Phantom Seat Jockey
Subscriber
Hopefully, this isn't a silly question. I have two 6x5GT rectifier tubes, One is a GE and the second one is Sylvania Chrome X-plate. The GE has 6 pins but the Sylvania only has 5 pins. I ask because I finally got my preamp very quiet and I found the Sylvania tube to have unacceptable hum. The GE is dead quiet. Is the Sylvania missing a pin? IMG_0001.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Well it is literally missing a pin, but pin 1 has no connection. It's not necessary and was omitted on some tube bases.

Yea, it is missing a pin. I have been looking for photos on these tubes. The three Sylvanias I found on ebay only have 5 pins. I was thinking there would be some standard for this tube model where all makes of this model tube would have the same number of pins. Thanks for the feedback.
 
Apparently, the choice to go with or without Pin 1 was left up to the tube mfg.
The 6X5GT came with four different bases: B5-82, B6-8 (intermediate octal shell) and B5-85, B6-60 (short octal shell). The B5-82 and B5-85 do not use Pin 1. Therefore, what you have is one mfg. (GE) which chose to use the B5-82 or B5-85, where the other mfg. (Sylvania) chose to use the B6-8 or B6-60.
 
Hopefully, this isn't a silly question. I have two 6x5GT rectifier tubes, One is a GE and the second one is Sylvania Chrome X-plate. The GE has 6 pins but the Sylvania only has 5 pins. I ask because I finally got my preamp very quiet and I found the Sylvania tube to have unacceptable hum. The GE is dead quiet. Is the Sylvania missing a pin?

The missing pin #1 is not the reason for the hum you are experiencing. Probably the two diodes that conduct differently enough to introduce a hum. Have you tested this tube?
 
I ask because I finally got my preamp very quiet and I found the Sylvania tube to have unacceptable hum. The GE is dead quiet. Is the Sylvania missing a pin?
The hum is not due to the "missing pin". The noisy one likely has some heater to cathode leakage which is essentially a partial short. Slight leakage is often not audible but as it gradually increases it becomes audible. As I recall, the 6X4 and 6X5 might be more susceptible to developing H-K leakage depending on how they're used in the circuit.
 
Apparently, the choice to go with or without Pin 1 was left up to the tube mfg.
The 6X5GT came with four different bases: B5-82, B6-8 (intermediate octal shell) and B5-85, B6-60 (short octal shell). The B5-82 and B5-85 do not use Pin 1. Therefore, what you have is one mfg. (GE) which chose to use the B5-82 or B5-85, where the other mfg. (Sylvania) chose to use the B6-8 or B6-60.

Many thanks for the information. I'm always impressed with the knowledge folks on AK have about all things audio,
 
The missing pin #1 is not the reason for the hum you are experiencing. Probably the two diodes that conduct differently enough to introduce a hum. Have you tested this tube?

I have no way to test the tube, no tester. The short story is I put together my first ever kit using the Tubes4Hifi SP14. IT only had a small hum when I finished the kit. I worked on and off to try and get the preamp dead quiet. I rerouted wires, found that I missed grounding both gain controls, fixed some mechanical hum caused by too loose screws, Then I swapped out the ST120 amp V1 tube RCA Blackplate with an Mullard and the Sylvania rectifier with the GE.The amp for the first time is in my opinion dead quiet, now. I put the RCA back in and reinstalled the Sylvania. There was hum again. So, replaced the Sylvania with the GE and again it is quiet. The tube was bought from a very reputable seller so I didn't think I needed to worry since he claims thay are all fully tested before he sends them out.
 
The hum is not due to the "missing pin". The noisy one likely has some heater to cathode leakage which is essentially a partial short. Slight leakage is often not audible but as it gradually increases it becomes audible. As I recall, the 6X4 and 6X5 might be more susceptible to developing H-K leakage depending on how they're used in the circuit.

So, got a bad tube. Damaged in shipping? I bought two Sylvania chrome domes and the rectifier tube, The chrome domes sound awesome. I'm just glad the Sylvania rectifier was fairly cheap.
 
The tube was bought from a very reputable seller so I didn't think I needed to worry since he claims thay are all fully tested before he sends them out.
To be fair, not all testers are equally sensitive when it comes to identifying H-K leakage as it's not a total short. For example, I have two testers. The better one is a Hickok 600A mutual conductance tester and the other is an Eico 666 which is considered a step above a basic emissions tester but not considered as good as the Hickok.

Yet, when it comes to testing for H-K leakage, the Eico is better. The Hickok will indicate short / or no short but no quantification of H-K leakage which is kind of like a "partial short". A tube that doesn't indicate a short on the Hickok might have some leakage and the Eico will show that.

In the instructions it actually tells you that some H-K leakage is generally considered to be "acceptable" - "not less than 1 meg for non-power types and not less than 500k for power types. Half these values may be acceptable for tubes approaching end of life, with the exception of tubes used in audio preamplifiers which may not read less than 1 meg at any time."

So the tube may have tested OK on the dealer's tester yet it might have enough H-K leakage that it creates some hum in the circuit. Perhaps they will allow you to return it? Fortunately, the 6X5GT is not an expensive rectifier like a NOS 5AR4, for example. The dealer near me, Radio Electric Supply, lists them for $10 and the big dealer in Orlando (Vacuum Tubes Inc) lists them for $7.50.

They do have a reputation for being somewhat less robust than some other rectifiers. I only have one amp that uses it so I'm not that familiar with it but I've had no problems. There may be some industrial versions that are tougher. :dunno:
 
Hopefully, this isn't a silly question. I have two 6x5GT rectifier tubes, One is a GE and the second one is Sylvania Chrome X-plate. The GE has 6 pins but the Sylvania only has 5 pins. I ask because I finally got my preamp very quiet and I found the Sylvania tube to have unacceptable hum. The GE is dead quiet. Is the Sylvania missing a pin? View attachment 2891855

Use the GE. The Sylvania one goes into the round bin. ;)
 
To be fair, not all testers are equally sensitive when it comes to identifying H-K leakage as it's not a total short. For example, I have two testers. The better one is a Hickok 600A mutual conductance tester and the other is an Eico 666 which is considered a step above a basic emissions tester but not considered as good as the Hickok.

Yet, when it comes to testing for H-K leakage, the Eico is better. The Hickok will indicate short / or no short but no quantification of H-K leakage which is kind of like a "partial short". A tube that doesn't indicate a short on the Hickok might have some leakage and the Eico will show that.

In the instructions it actually tells you that some H-K leakage is generally considered to be "acceptable" - "not less than 1 meg for non-power types and not less than 500k for power types. Half these values may be acceptable for tubes approaching end of life, with the exception of tubes used in audio preamplifiers which may not read less than 1 meg at any time."

So the tube may have tested OK on the dealer's tester yet it might have enough H-K leakage that it creates some hum in the circuit. Perhaps they will allow you to return it? Fortunately, the 6X5GT is not an expensive rectifier like a NOS 5AR4, for example. The dealer near me, Radio Electric Supply, lists them for $10 and the big dealer in Orlando (Vacuum Tubes Inc) lists them for $7.50.

They do have a reputation for being somewhat less robust than some other rectifiers. I only have one amp that uses it so I'm not that familiar with it but I've had no problems. There may be some industrial versions that are tougher. :dunno:

You know, I think I agree with everything you wrote :D
 
Afaik the SP14 doesn't have a 6X5 heater-cathode related hum path, as the heater is a seperate winding with no other application.
The SP14 appears to use the 6X5 in a bridge rectifier, with ss diodes (which each have an added series resistor). If the 6X5 was the cause of some hum then that would indicate that one diode plate was significantly poor and that 60Hz ripple was significant.
But the lack of test info makes any technical conclusion a bit vague.
 
6X5's are somewhat notorious for being noisy and/or failing.

I have read that, too. In the same article or thread they said it was the 6X5 that was likely to crater, but was supposedly fixed with 6X5GT.

In the antique radio world, the 6X5 is notorious for taking out Zenith power transformers. Now in this case geode is running a pre amp with the 6X5 and not a radio complete with an audio output amp, so you should be fine with any of the later model 6X5 tubes, like the 6X5-GT you read about.

Here is a link to a discussion about the 6X5's appetite for old radio transformers and how to mitigate it ;

https://antiqueradios.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=6&t=239368&start=0
 
I've had two 6X5GT's fail in my old SP14 build, a Sylvania JAN just like geode's, and a NIB Brimar, which was quite expensive. :-( My new build is p-p and dispenses with the rectifier tube altogether.
 
Back
Top Bottom