• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Reflections on the TCC TC-750.

catman

Addicted Member
Banned
G’day all, yes I’ll admit that I went to bed last night thinking about phono stages! Yes I’m a strange fellow, and it probably explains my poor sleep lately too. Being a playback system requiring equalisation does place considerable demands on the phono preamplifier and I never cease to be amazed by despite so called standard playback RIAA equalisation, the sound and quality of phono stages varies so much!

My DIY ESP P06 is my reference but I have considerable fondness for the sound and performance of that little black metal box (well mine is), called the TCC TC-750. It’s really not bad at all, and yes a 12 volt DC power supply really improves it, but mostly because the supplied wall wart isn’t that good and electrically noisy. The ‘single ended’ nature of the circuit without the advantage of good ‘common mode’ noise rejection probably contributes to this so the advantage of a pure DC supply rail (i.e. a battery) is more apparent as a consequence.

Still, the exclusive use of discrete transistor circuitry is appealing to me and is in a sense rather nostalgic. The sort of circuitry used in this phono stage reminds me of my early DIY days playing around with BC549C transistors (still my favourite), and they make very nice audio preamplifiers, similar to the transistors used in the TCC TC-750, and discrete transistors of this type are a lot less noisy than a lot of common field effect transistors (FET’s) too.

Although I now use op amps in everything I still think simple transistor circuitry have some distinct advantages over op amp circuitry, probably in terms of ultimate operational bandwidth and TIM effects. There are a lot of transistors all in overall feedback in a typical op amp chip. A simple two or three discrete transistor package tends to produce a more open and uncompressed sound over many simple full feedback op amp designs I think and the TCC TC-750 certainly does!

It is a good circuit too. My own attempt at building a simple transistor based phono stage a while back was successful, but the whole thing sounded very ‘nothing’, poor dynamics and no sense of ‘life’. My own effort also had a peculiarly interesting tendency to pick up radio stations unless the power supply filtering was just right!

No such issues with the TCC TC-750 at all! Here is the ‘reverse engineered’ general circuit from the Beavis Hi Fi website http://beavishifi.com/ of the very similar LC version. I don’t actually see any advantage of having a ‘level control’, by the way as it is just a passive attenuator, but people like turning another control perhaps. The TCC TC-750 is a very nice and endearing phono stage. Regards, Felix aka catman.
 

Attachments

  • TCC-TC750-Phono-Preamp-Schematic-600.png
    TCC-TC750-Phono-Preamp-Schematic-600.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
We have a TCC750Lc in the comparison of ART vs DB8 going on in another thread. I agree that it is a pretty competent budget phono stage. I do wish it had a bit more gain at full boogie :)

Here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=522082 The thread is mislabeled in that I think there are like 5 or 6 phono stages being compared, including some heavy hitters :)

We need your educated ears to help pick the winners :D Download the clips in Post 213, Page 15 and listen carefully. Muddywaters is not releasing the brand names/models publicly, but will tell you by PM which ones you prefer.

We're trying to start a sort of Phono stage database of sorts so we know what sounds like what compared to what? Way too much flowery and non-explicit language in magazine tests without any direct comment. I know they do that to keep the advertisers happy, but we don't have any such requirement. And, most of us don't have the budget to endlessly buy and swap stuff. So we're trying to cut to the chase.
 
The TC-750 has really impressed me as well. I had been using the phono pre integrated into my Harman/Kardon 730, which honestly could use a bit of restoration, and thought it sounded decent but always noticed that it is a bit of grain and channel imbalance. Came across the TC-750 at a yard sale and grabbed it and a non matching power supply that's barrel fits perfectly for 5 dollars. Thanks to your other posts I knew to go get a 12v lantern battery and use the adapter and wire from said incorrect PSU to connect it, 15 bucks and 10 minutes work. The result, far more gain than the 730's phono section, less EMI noise by far, and perfect channel balance. It sounds great, and thanks for your thoughts and experiments on this pre.
 
Back
Top Bottom