• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Refoaming Wharfedale Alnico drivers

CrawfishKing

Active Member
Hi everyone!

I recently picked up a Wharfedale omni directional corner speaker.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=605661

The link is the same model, mine is a blonde finish though. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance but until its functioning the cabinet has been buried in the corner of my room, it's huge!

With it I picked up a Wharfedale super 8/CS, super 8/CS/AL, a 12" red magnet with most of the model number scratched off, all that remains is AL, and a W15/CS according to the driver, I do have the box for this one which says its a w15/FS.

I know the two with red Magnets are alnico, are the super 8's as well? What is the common uses of them?

I have not tested any of them but they all need to be refoamed, I'm wondering where I can get a replacement foam or what is the closest to original spec if an authentic one does not exist.

Thanks!

Matt
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi everyone!

I recently picked up a Wharfedale omni directional corner speaker.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=605661

The link is the same model, mine is a blonde finish though. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance but until its functioning the cabinet has been buried in the corner of my room, it's huge!

With it I picked up a Wharfedale super 8/CS, super 8/CS/AL, a 12" red magnet with most of the model number scratched off, all that remains is AL, and a W15/CS according to the driver, I do have the box for this one which says its a w15/FS.

I know the two with red Magnets are alnico, are the super 8's as well? What is the common uses of them?

I have not tested any of them but they all need to be refoamed, I'm wondering where I can get a replacement foam or what is the closest to original spec if an authentic one does not exist.

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt,

As with pretty much all of us who have had to refoam old Wharfedale drivers, most of your questions can be answered by doing multiple searches on the net. There isn't all that much out there, unfortunately. I would read through this one to get the ball rolling.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=573882

The only luck I've had so far is in finding replacement foam for the Super 12. I've got a Super 8 and a few Super 3's that need new foam or surrounds made.

I stumbled upon this link recently, the author is here somewhere. He's a great guy and is willing to help out where he can. I believe he starts posting at the end of the thread I just posted.

Here is the most awesome place of all time for those of us who have to do it ourselves.

http://www.ln271828.net/wharfedale.html

Biggles
 
Hey, Boggles... Whoops... The word correction must be turned on... Sorry 'bout that... Wasn't someone recently telling you about using felt for the old Wharfedale drivers because of it being closer in terms of the amount of "give" it has compared to modern foam surrounds?

Anyway, I will one day have a working pair of the full 3-way Omni-Directional Corner Speakers. That model, with the uprising must be like the ultimate jukebox-type sound. '50's music (and mono in general) at it's absolute finest. already have two unfinished DIY woofer enclosures (the bottom part, basically), but I still need the top part with the Super 8 and Super 3 plus the crossovers. The good part is that the woofer cabs have the optional dual rear panels, which are also the sand-filled type, so that'll be 360 degrees of anti-resonance and wave-cancellation. Plus, there's the whole "live vs recorded" thing. You know how it is. The W90's are already the purest thing I've ever heard, but it's different with those '50's models. Me wants.

Anyway, I'd love to see some pictures if you got 'em. I bought a single SFB that will need the drivers refoamed. Another upfiring model (the tweeter, I mean). But those alnico Wharfedale drivers are awesome. There's an authenticity to them. I never cared that much about the horn-driven brands. Once I heard Wharfedale's early, all-cone-driven sound, I fell in love. I wish I could describe it. That smooth, rich, laid-back tone just gets me.
 
Last edited:
Hey, Boggles... Whoops... The word correction must be turned on... Sorry 'bout that... Wasn't someone recently telling you about using felt for the old Wharfedale drivers because of it being closer in terms of the amount of "give" it has compared to modern foam surrounds?

Yessim. I'm draggin my feet, too many other audio projects that are catching my fancy at the moment. It's tough to stay focussed.

xo, Biggles
 
Back
Top Bottom