• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Refurbing a Dual 604

Now I have to move back to what's remaining. That is:

- Still have a low-level hum. I'll tackle that next.
- Still need to try out the new stylus
- Still looking for the shipping screws (long term)
- Still looking for a dust cover (longer term)
 
This has been a fun read. I love when people refuse to quit on old gear. I had a 604 that had issues, and I ended up letting it go. It was in phenomenal shape. I simply didn't have the skills to fix it, and got frustrated. I miss that table.
 
This has been a fun read. I love when people refuse to quit on old gear. I had a 604 that had issues, and I ended up letting it go. It was in phenomenal shape. I simply didn't have the skills to fix it, and got frustrated. I miss that table.

Yeah, I'm a charity case. Just can't let a vintage piece go to waste. It is more about the challenge. I did a Fisher tube amp last year that was given up for dead. All rusty and broken. Looked like it had been living in a leaky tool shed for years. That amp is in my main rotation now. I got a case for it and you'd never know because the faceplate didn't get damaged.

Seems like a pretty good TT now that it is stable. In fact I'm having zero speed issues right now. The stock cart is better than I would have guessed too. I'm glad that I didn't quit. On the home stretch now.
 
You can get the [used] shipping screws in chrome or black. Lots of little parts, including a circular wire clip that holds it all together.
Did we discuss the hummmmmmmmm? Did you eliminate the dedicated ground wire by bridging both RCA socket shells on-chassis to ground?
 
You can get the [used] shipping screws in chrome or black. Lots of little parts, including a circular wire clip that holds it all together.
Did we discuss the hummmmmmmmm? Did you eliminate the dedicated ground wire by bridging both RCA socket shells on-chassis to ground?

Hi NoTransistors,

Yes we did discuss the hum, but this is the first time on this particular suggestion. I'll go ahead and check a few things and it it doesn't pan out, I'll definitely try this suggestion of bridging the grounds on both channels to the chassis. I'm still thinking I've got a dodgy connection in the sled, but we'll see. Baby steps.......
 
Yep. It was the headshell. Cleaned and moved and reinserted it several times and the low level hum is gone for now..... At least I know where the problem is when it comes back.

Now on to trying out the new stylus..........
 
Gosh, I'm going to have to start another thread.

I was out at the local old style electronics store and the guy has a room where he sells vintage stereo equipment. I noticed a Dual 1019 sitting there. I started walking out and the really old guy (owner) said, "Didn't see anything you want to buy?". I asked about the Dual 1019 he had added to the room and he said he was asking $59. I couldn't open my wallet fast enough. Came with a Shure cartridge, base and dust cover. The dust cover looks perfect. The only thing missing is the changer spindle. He said it works and I believed him. He's been in business for 50 years in the same building. Visually it presents well. I've been wanting one of these for a while now.

Here's some pics of it. One pic with the lid open and one with it closed.

IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0752.JPG
 
Now we're cooking with gas.
Look at the motor. If it has two external tabs clamping the two shell halves together, then it id the oldest design with foam oil wicks that must be replaced with cotton felt, then oiled. A genuine PIA, but worth it. All other repair work is pretty standard. Some idler wheels from that era turned to stone, yet others still remain soft. If red urethane, than certainly replace.
 
Back
Top Bottom