• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Remember how we said cassettes weren't coming back?

I loved my ol' Pioneer 6-cassette changer. I kinda wish I would have kept it. Oh well, I am sure it's rockin' some Dokken somewhere out there.
 
I
Similarly, there's been a resurgence in outhouses. Seems like indoor plumbing is boring because it's too convenient... ;)

Maybe that's why people like camping.

Film photography does have a certain artistic appeal -- you're forced to consider composition when you know you've only got 24 or 36 chances and you're paying for every one -- but not an enduring one. Digital is the best thing that ever happened to photography.

In fact, digital is the best thing that ever happened to a lot of things.


I think that the appeal for high quality results with very little interaction is dwindling as hands on interaction has become shiek. Interaction seems to stimulate creativity and imagination and it's beyond the calculations of cost. Deeper involvement causes greater enjoyment in anything a person does. Convenience is just a marketing gimmick....

Then roughing it while camping and the industry supporting it........is a very good example !

Sure digital is great, but taking pictures with a classic Nikon camera and proofing your own negatives and sharing your prints gives a person a strong feeling of self accomplishment and I think we need more of that in this let down of a crazy world.
 
I did. Purchased it off of ebay as a spare for my existing one. I have hundreds of pre-recorded cassettes that need "exercising".

Also got these blank cassettes last week locally....

33175532166_3bf3047702.jpg
33089165311_a1fa649da3.jpg

Cool. I've been using TDK SA-90s for 40 years.
 
Last edited:
I s
Cassettes now seem more about fashion than high fidelity, more so than with LPs which at least have an argument for better sound than modern formats.

I see that you have never heard music recorded onto the new blank Chrome II cassettes....
 
Sure digital is great, but taking pictures with a classic Nikon camera and proofing your own negatives and sharing your prints gives a person a strong feeling of self accomplishment
For those whom the joy of photography comes from processing film, I'm sure it does, and that's great. There are as many ways to enjoy photography as there are to enjoy audio.

However, speaking as an owner of classic (-ish) Nikon film SLR camera, I'll never put film in it again. I'm interested in images, not the medium used to record them, and my digital Nikon SLR is a photographically superior tool in every way. In particular, I'm really, really glad I'll never again pay for film or processing costs, and retouching in software is a delight. I'm sure I get as much feeling of self-accomplishment from a well-composed or edited digital shot as filmophiles do from processing film. Indeed, I mainly got a strong feeling of financial drain and general annoyance from what were -- to me -- the bad old days of film.
 
Cool. I've been using TDK SA-90s for 40 years.

Maybe it's my preference in cassette decks....always Sony....TDK was never a brand I used. My choice has always been Sony and Maxell. Over the weekend, I listened to Madonna's "Like A Virgin", recorded from CD to Denon HD-8 Type II cassette, and it still sounds very good. Surprisingly good given the source was a Sony cassette Walkman and the tape is close to 30 years old.

I used to record my local public radio station's broadcast of "Joe Frank" onto Maxell UR-120 blank cassettes. Almost 30 years later and they still play fine.
 
Maybe it's my preference in cassette decks....always Sony....TDK was never a brand I used. My choice has always been Sony and Maxell. Over the weekend, I listened to Madonna's "Like A Virgin", recorded from CD to Denon HD-8 Type II cassette, and it still sounds very good. Surprisingly good given the source was a Sony cassette Walkman and the tape is close to 30 years old.

I used to record my local public radio station's broadcast of "Joe Frank" onto Maxell UR-120 blank cassettes. Almost 30 years later and they still play fine.

I like Maxell and have used Sonys. The earliest cassettes I remember using were the Memorex in that funky case. I started using TDKs because they were good and available. Recording off the radio and making misc. tapes were a given. I had a graveyard of portable cassette players from dropping them while jogging too. There is a yellow SPORT Walkman somewhere here that I should dig it up and see if it still plays. Fun stuff.
 
We just moved and the moving company lost the box containng about 100 of my remainng cassettes, which were saved because they were special to me. Pithed me the fluck off since I now have two cassette players and no source material.
 
Yeah, but you have to clean the heads, etc. I am way to used to CD's, even though we still have many cassettes and at least one working cassette player. Peace and goodwill.
 
Back in the day ... about the only cassette deck that impressed me was the Nakamichi Dragon ... :idea: ... I think they were called. Those decks were drop dead great sounding.


Except that one is not a Dragon. Just the top flip front series RX 505. Less than half of the price of a Dragon, which came close to touching $2000 new. Still a great deck. The 505 could/can exceed 19k on good tape. Interesting way of auto-reversing while still keeping the tape head perfectly aligned. When I sold them I got really sick of people hitting the auto reverse all the time just to watch it flip.
 
Last edited:
Keeping a cassette deck working in this day and age can be a frustrating endeavour. I have given up on them, but every once in a while someone wants a rip of an old cassette. The old tape always want to break at the leader splice, scotch tape works well for a quick fix.
 
Yeah, but you have to clean the heads, etc. I am way to used to CD's, even though we still have many cassettes and at least one working cassette player. Peace and goodwill.

I used to have all the stuff needed to clean and demagnetize a cassette deck. I think I still have the Allsop cassette deck cleaner (I located an unopened set of replacement pads in the garage over the weekend) and a TDK electronic head demagnetizer. Too bad Radio Shack is no more.....I used to buy those extra long Q-tips so I can reach into the cassette well to clean the heads (always done before an important recording).
 
I haven't diddled with cassettes in a couple of years now. My main vehicle is a 1993 Buick LeSabre which did have a cassette player that quit. My mechanic gave me a nice JVC CD player in its place, so that eliminates my need for cassettes. I have 7 of the 3 drawer holders full of cassettes, plus loose tapes sitting on top of them. A huge majority of those are mix tapes made anywhere from the late 80's until just a couple of years ago. When I had a cassette player in the vehicle, I would make a playlist on the computer and feed it out to my cassette deck. A 090/100/110 minute length cassette is more than what you'll get on a 79 minute CD.
 
I'd forgotten how futile having a meaningful discussion could be...

I'm just glad your posting again, I for one did notice that you where missing after being here for so long.

Carry on about nothing....:p
 
Last edited:
I'm just glad your posting again, I for one did notice that you where missing after being here for so long.

Carry on about nothing....:p
I'm just glad your posting again, I for one did notice that you where missing after being here for so long.

Carry on about nothing....:p

lol! That comment was another train of thought that I thought I deleted. :)
 
Cassettes can sound quite good. Even Sheffield Lab had some titles out on cassettes that were dubbed real time using Nak decks back in the mid 80's - and they sounded fantastic. I would think that with today's technology the format could be more reliable, more consistent sonically, and vey near audiophile quality. I think it would be tough to get someone to invest the kind of money it might take to build and operate an HQ cassette copying facility (one that runs really time not 2x, 4x or 8x speed). But, you never know. 15 years ago none of us thought it would pay-off to build a new LP pressing facility either!
Try 96:1. That's the speed at which cassettes were being recorded by the mid 90s. Real-time recording would be an ungodly expensive enterprise, especially when you start looking at the manual labor and materials costs for a true audiophile product. You could get the sound quality to exceed vinyl, though.
 
The Dragon did not flip the tape. The head was constantly correcting itself. The RX 202,303, and 505 were the flip decks. The Dragon was just under two large. The 505 was under one.

Edit: This doesn't make a lot of sense when the post I was responding to was deleted.
 
Last edited:
Again like I have said:

Where's the new quality cassette decks?
The new Type II tape not from New Old Stock duplicator pancakes?
Where is the new production Metal Type IV tapes?

Once we have someone making new quality cassette decks, new quality blank tape past basic Type I formulas, then we have a real revival on our hands. Until then, a minor cult of new enthusiasts. I would like to see a real revival on our hands.
 
Back
Top Bottom