• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Repair of Pickering DTL-3S

RobinChgo

New Member
Hello,

Brought out my TT from many years ago and one of my kids damaged my Pickering TL-3 DTL-3S stylus.

Can’t tell if it just got pushed in or broke off.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 4964D066-4E5D-44C2-A081-D4D83DEC9635.jpeg
    4964D066-4E5D-44C2-A081-D4D83DEC9635.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 942FEA98-24F4-4DD1-A08D-4AA625FFCB12.jpeg
    942FEA98-24F4-4DD1-A08D-4AA625FFCB12.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 35
Register to hide this ad
Doesn't matter. If you can't see the cant and tip it's FUBAR. Assume it's just pushed in... So what? You figure you can pull it out and it's all good again? Nope. It's gone! Sorry.

Lol....Ok! Thanks for the assessment. I wasn’t sure if the just the needle assembly, sans white body, could be replaced.
 
Are you using it as P-mount (fixed vtf) or regular with adjustable tracking force? DTL3S is a nice stylus, I use DTl2S as one of my daily drivers. FYI the suspensions seem to be hardening on many of those original DTS tips. If you can adjust tracking force than anything for Stanton 680/681 and Pickering moving iron are compatible. I have mostly oem styli and cant really speak to the aftermarket ones (my track record with them inst great) but others here certainly can.
 
Hello,

Brought out my TT from many years ago and one of my kids damaged my Pickering TL-3 DTL-3S stylus.

Can’t tell if it just got pushed in or broke off.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
If you're going to just throw the old one in the trash, "cartridge-retipping-5" might be willing to buy it for a few dollars.
 
Are you using it as P-mount (fixed vtf) or regular with adjustable tracking force? DTL3S is a nice stylus, I use DTl2S as one of my daily drivers. FYI the suspensions seem to be hardening on many of those original DTS tips. If you can adjust tracking force than anything for Stanton 680/681 and Pickering moving iron are compatible. I have mostly oem styli and cant really speak to the aftermarket ones (my track record with them inst great) but others here certainly can.

I was wondering if the 606 type needle(Stanton 680/681, Pickering XV-14) would fit. They look the same. In that case, there are too many choices for me to list.
 
I was wondering if the 606 type needle(Stanton 680/681, Pickering XV-14) would fit. They look the same. In that case, there are too many choices for me to list.
Yes all the 680/681 styli fit fine and work perfectly. Remarkably so do the 600 styli and I find at 3.5 grams tracking force the 600a (oem) stylus on a 680/681 body to sound incredibly dynamic, punchy, full, extended and dimensional. More engaging to me than the correct styli for that body at the conical and lower tier elliptical level.
 
Yes all the 680/681 styli fit fine and work perfectly. Remarkably so do the 600 styli and I find at 3.5 grams tracking force the 600a (oem) stylus on a 680/681 body to sound incredibly dynamic, punchy, full, extended and dimensional. More engaging to me than the correct styli for that body at the conical and lower tier elliptical level.

IMO it is the bigger stronger magnet and stiffer suspension that gives the benefits that you like.
 
Back
Top Bottom