• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Repair or restore MC40?

CDinMB

Active Member
I bought this MC40 as a restore project but end up using it while I refurbed my MC30s. Well, that is done and they are great but I now have an MC40 that is cosmetically pretty sad. I am torn between just replacing the electrical components that need a refresh or doing a full cosmetic restoration. Getting it back to top working condition would be an easy project since the big caps look pretty new and the transformers are good. It has a great sound, different from the MC30s but nice. The other option is take it all apart and rechrome the chassis which is very pitted and rusty. I tried WD40 and spray cleaner wax with a power tooth brush and cloth to remove the rust. That left it looking like a shiny metalflake finish and the edges are pure brown rust. Lol. I guess that is a look, but not the shiny chrome a MC40 should have. I found a local motorcycle shop that can rechrome it better than new, so it really comes down to my time and effort. Is it worth going through the complete tear down?

Carmen

IMG_2339.JPG IMG_2338.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2335.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Mine are not as bad as yours but they have a bit of pitting. A member here did a full electronic restore on them and they sound awesome. I had thought about rechroming them but then your stuck with no silk screening on them. I figured that I'll just keep them original, they are old, like me and I to have my battle scars.
What is important to me is the sound, that part always puts a smile on my face. Kind of like a really good woman who's looks are starting to fade.....

BillWojo
 
I like the idea of repairing then restore. It came with a couple of bad tubes, which once replaced had the unit sounding really good. It worked for a few weeks then a third tube went. At the same time I finished restoring the second MC30 so I didn't need it in the rotation any more. I honestly didn't even check the bias. But the caps are old so probably should be replaced and at the rate it was eating tubes I suspect it is running hot. So repair, set it up correctly then restore it makes sense to me. Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom