• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replaced the jewels on my X-202-B.

Hardly meant to start a firestorm here with the jewel sequence question.

Fisher states in the X-1000 manual that the lights (and obviously then, their primary purpose) will let you tell at a distant glance what mode the unit is operating in. I suppose if you remember that the outside lights represent active output, then who cares what color they are. The same for the inner lamps representing which channel's inputs are being sourced for the sound presented.

As I originally stated however, from my own logical point of view, it would seem to make more sense if the output indicators are one common color, and the channel source indicators are another common color. Otherwise, it would be like one turn signal indicator being amber, and the other being green. They both indicate the same function, but their location indicates which channel they represent. Just my take on it.

If I may, where in fact does the manufacturer Fisher Radio Corporation state that the sequence is G-A-R-G-A? I am specifically asking for information from FRC the manufacturer, not FRC, aka Fisher Doc.

Dave
 
This is taken from the 1961 EXECUTIVE V Owners Manual. The V had the X1000 the VI had the X-202. I remember Naptown Rob's X202 having the same color arrangement as the X-1000 Don posted and the operation as shown below.

attachment.php


Mono Phono used the Left Channel only; A or #1 going left to Right
Reverse stereo (right is left and left is right) #2 and #4
Regular Stereo (Left and Right) #1 and #5

Remember these were produced during the FM-AM simulcast era and a lot of them had provision for Just AM or Just FM in Mono using 1 channel. Hence the LEFT CHANNEL MONO (#1) and RIGHT CHANNEL MONO (#5). Note the AM or FM positions on the Selector switch. You'd select between mono or Stereo on the MODE switch.

I haven't heard of a hard and fast ruling on color placement for the Amber and Green Although it would make more sense to me to put one color on the 1&5 and the other color on the 2&4 holes, to differentiate between normal and reversed stereo, with the Red for center.

That's my $.02 worth.
Larry
 
Last edited:
Nines -- For my own knowledge, are those jewels installed in the correct sequence?

I know the center channel jewel is and should be red to indicate when that channel is active, but on the X-1000 I am working on at the moment, it has amber jewels installed in the L(eft) and R(ight) positions, and green jewels installed in the Channel A and Channel B positions. The sequence of the indicators is the same on the X-1000 faceplate as shown on your face plate. It's not so much the absolute colors used that I'm questioning, but location. Shouldn't the outer L and R jewels be the same color, and the inner A and B jewels the same color as well? As I have come to understand it with the X-1000, the L and R indicators indicate if there is active output from that channel, while the A and B indicators indicate which channel's input the sound being produced is originating from. Does the X-202 operate the same way?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Dave

Hi Mr. Gillespie! :banana:
I would agree with you (the logic), that the amber would be used to indicate that the STEREO amp is on, like a redundant, fancy for the times pilot light and that green would indicate your selection for A or B only at the the switch (or both, as in "reverse") and since there is only one red one then center it would be! :yes:
A symmetrical installation like everything else on the face. Only thing still up for possible debate might be the correct color for those spots.

I want one of these now!
Phyllis
:)
 
This is taken from the 1961 EXECUTIVE V Owners Manual. The V had the X1000 the VI had the X-202. I remember Naptown Rob's X202 having the same color arrangement as the X-1000 Don posted and the operation as shown below.

attachment.php


Mono Phono used the Left Channel only; A or #1 going left to Right
Reverse stereo (right is left and left is right) #2 and #4
Regular Stereo (Left and Right) #1 and #5

Remember these were produced during the FM-AM simulcast era and a lot of them had provision for Just AM or Just FM in Mono using 1 channel. Hence the LEFT CHANNEL MONO (#1) and RIGHT CHANNEL MONO (#5). Note the AM or FM positions on the Selector switch. You'd select between mono or Stereo on the MODE switch.

I haven't heard of a hard and fast ruling on color placement for the Amber and Green Although it would make more sense to me to put one color on the 1&5 and the other color on the 2&4 holes, to differentiate between normal and reversed stereo, with the Red for center.

That's my $.02 worth.
Larry

Hi Larry! :banana:
Yes again! You beat me to it and with documentation!! I think you are correct. :yes:

Phyllis
:)
 
Good evening, my Fisher brethren--

Just took a look at the jewels on my 400cx-2, and they are as follows:

green/amber/red/green/amber

I bought the preamp from a thrift shop in the late-1980s with original box for $20 (hehehe), and nary a screw had been removed from it at that point. The jewels are the originals, and they've never been removed/messed with so far as I can tell.

Ivan
 
Thanks Ivan -- Unless anything more definitive comes along, then we'll assume that that sequence was Fisher's intention. For an accurate restoration then, that should be the sequence. If it were mine, I'd change it to a more logical order, but I'm at least happy that we've now got some reliable information to work from, and the OP can feel confident he has restored his unit to the factory's intention.

Dave
 
Mine won't be accurate then.
I'm taking my jewels and going home, so there! :cool:
I'm joking of course, but my sense of symmetry likes two of the same color jewels to be on at the same time.
 
Actually that Exec V Owner's Manual is from my console with the X202. The manual starts off explaining the X1000 (the red pilot light will illuminate when unit is ON); the tuner is to the right; the amp to the left (not on mine). The X202 doesn't have a red pilot lamp, either. It then gets into the X202 configuration. I think the V and VI designations will never be straightened out.

As for the 5 lamp system--I'd figure that once Fisher started that practice they would have stayed with one lamp sequence across the board. If you had more than one unit or upgraded, you'd have to get used to a whole new lamp sequence? Good thing cars didn't do that.
 
Hey Don. Will these work on the brass stamped face plates or is there a shorter legged version available. Or do you think a little heat from a Hair dryer would work to soften the legs to bend them up against the back of the faceplate?
 
Well,
My X-1000 has a brass stamped faceplate and they work.
But, to answer the underlying question, they're designed to go in a certain diameter hole.
There's more than diameter hole size for Fisher jewels.
These have a diameter on the insert part of approximately 3/16. They have four prongs which will collapse enough to allow insertion into the receptacle and then they snap into place, enlarging when they get through the depth of the front panel.

I'd say these are purpose-built for this one application. I know someone who has some blue jewels available.
 
My question was directed more at the thickness of the stamped brass faceplate vs the extruded aluminum faceplate. And the possibility of the jewels being loose in that they would shift fore and aft in the hole. Hence the question of heating the back side to eliminate the slack of the jewel tabs on the thinner brass faceplate.
 
If the diameter is a match they should work fine.
If the hole is too thick it just won't snap in.
If the hole is too thin, a little dab 'o glue'll do ya.
 
Hey Nines, do you happen to know the size of the hole in your faceplate for these lenses ? I'd like to replace mine on a 400C preamp since I have always been missing two jewels. Just wondering if these might be the same. Mine are all green and mark the input choice.
 
Hey Nines, do you happen to know the size of the hole in your faceplate for these lenses ? I'd like to replace mine on a 400C preamp since I have always been missing two jewels. Just wondering if these might be the same. Mine are all green and mark the input choice.

If you know the hole size in the 400 I can tell you if the Mouser jewels will fit.
 
Thanks my friend. I will measure them when I get home tonight. Im guessing the current standard for these lenses is metric, so I will measure that way.
Until then, Chris H.
 
Back
Top Bottom