• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

replacing speaker grill cloth

sydneyh

Active Member
hey all,

just got some burnt orange speaker grill cloth for my JBL 4311s to replace the sad looking original black cloth. any advice on how to stretch the new fabric over the grills? is there a staple vs. glue debate?
 
Register to hide this ad
I just did a pair of RSL 3300s. I had some $1/yd fabric from Joanne and just stretched it over, attached using staples.

I started in the middle of a long side, folded the fabric over once on the edge and hit it with a couple of staples. Then I stretched it along that side stapling as I went. Did the other long side next trying to match the amount of stretch by keeping an eye on the grain of the fabric and then stretch and stapled the ends nice and tight.

The fabric didn't turn out perfectly square but you really don't see it.

It was a very easy project. Though, I imagine there is a right way, and I can't attest to the durability of mine as it was only done yesterday.
 
Staples seem like the best route for future ease of removal in case you need to replace the cloths. Just my opinion.
 
Those 4311 grill frames are mere particle board and not that great of quality at that. I've found when recovering, even small staples can sometimes cause the particle board to crack, so I now use 3M spray adhesive instead. (I'm bored today and this thread reminds me that I've a pair of 4311s I want to recover. Where the heck is the bolt of fabric I've been working off of for 25 years...?)
 
hm, stapled one so far. didnt realize it 'til i was done but the horizontal tension causes the left and right to bow slightly inwards...will not stretch it as tight on the second. staples seem to work OK. if i were to use glue though i'd imagine it'd be difficult to keep the fabric taught as i try and tack all the edges down.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 147
Wow; that looks great! Where did you buy the burnt orange fabric? Love that look! I dig your decor.

I use hobby / hardware store hot glue with pretty good results. The back edge is never perfect but in front they all have looked professional; tight and flat. Next time I may trim the back edges with a matt knife and straight edge to get them truly straight. You can do one edge, then pull it tight and do the next; it sticks and holds the tension well.
 
Last edited:
thanks all, got the orange fabric from a seller on the b-a-y who makes custom inserts for L100s. i asked him if i could just buy enough fabric from him to cover my grills and he agreed. he said he thought the fabric was NOS but it doesnt look exactly like the same color orange i've seen on JBLs online..i like it a lot though.
 
Back
Top Bottom