• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Revitalizing AK

arcorob

Addicted Member
AK is the single biggest resource on the internet regarding evrything in HIFI audio. However; it seems through the years participation has dropped significantly. It can be for one of two reasons. Lack of interest which should not be cause there are a million facebook boards on hifi. Or , every question ever needs answering is already here is people just get the answers ...LOL

We need to put the spice back in somehow...Love this place and the kind folks who help all through the years
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, we need an advertising campaign. I am just as guilty...not posting or participating as I did in the past but serious ...HIFI is not dead. Just look at FB groups, Youtube videos...its all over and vintage is hot (I am specifically Marantz alot these days and the Marantz TAX is huge...I promise to be more engaged and will try to advertise as much as possible (oh and look at FB marketplace...lots of buyers, sellers on vintage as well as new so Audio is not dead) - Except to the 25 year olds with a bluetooth speaker and I[hone
No 25 year olds were harmed in the making of this post :rflmao:
 
Entropy swallows all, but I don't think we're there yet.

I used to be a participant of Red Pepper Racing, a board for us CRX enthusiasts. As the cars became more and more rare, the participation dropped. It's just a shell, now.

However, I think we'll be fine for the time being. As I always admonish, "Be the kind of AK'er you wish to see."
 
I see multiple posts in the introduction threads every day. Those with the most knowledge don't post often because a lot of times, there aren't threads that compel them to chime in.

It's a great site. I come here every day. It's like a box of chocolates...
Maybe the knowledgeable ones aren't posting as much because they've already answered the same questions?

That said, there is still a lot here!
Thanks to all who make it what it is.
 
In the introductions I see quite a few new members under 40, which is promising. It's all about exposure. If you know someone younger than you and they show just even a hint of interest in HiFi take them under your wing. Play their music on your system (s) that should set the hook so to speak. Playing what they listen to will go much further since they know it well, and when they start to hear things those iPods can't produce they will seek out better equipment then become AKers of tomorrow. ;)
 
Or , every question ever needs answering is already here is people just get the answers ...LOL
I think this is probably it. I know I've answered the same questions many times, with different wording. As search engines continue to get more intelligent and AI comes for our jobs, it will be easier for music lovers to find answers without having to post, and less for us oldtimes to do.
 
The massive quantities of vintage gear we talk about has been
1) grabbed by those with collections of over 100 pieces and that doesn't bring new folks here trying to find out how to fix their Lirpa 1
2) been thrown away and not saved at the transfer shack at the dump so it is gone
3) is posted on the bay for way too much money so no one grabs it and then doesn't come here for answers
4) upmarket owners are finding places that discuss their gear more than here on ak the home of vintage and cheap (now expensive) receivers
5) folks are finding new gear that isn't expensive that does what they need
and as stated there is a lot of folks leaving the hobby and fewer coming into it. I've seen a lot of 20-30-40-year olds posting but not enough to keep up with those that have stopped posting.
 
Last edited:
I joined in 2006 but never posted much. I still visit and browse regularly though.

I'm still a vinyl lover, using the SL-1200 MK2 I purchased years ago. No Bluetooth speakers in my house XM streaming audio in the truck only, all home audio is Vinyl....for now.

Now I'm looking at getting a higher end CD player to put all my CDs and bootleg audio to use as well.

Love the site. It's always been one of the very few forums I am on.
 
I will admit I get a bit bored answering the same questions over and over again. The similar threads idea is a great one and should have been thought of sooner.

But then like my DAD always said there is no such thing as a bad question. So I try to answer them, if I know the answer.
 
Back
Top Bottom