• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RIP Toots Hibbert

Register to hide this ad
I started a thread in the Music Forum about Funky Kingston due to the fact that no-one else had. RIP Toots. Mucho thanks for the good vibes.
 
That's terrible news.

Saw him a bunch of times.
Shows were very much hit and miss.
But when he was "on", few could equal him.

 
Yeah, that's really too bad. I dig his music and have been hip to it for a number of years, even if I only own a few of his albums. I'll be listening to that stuff in the upcoming days.

Some years ago I read a really exhaustive book on Jamaican music (can't remember the name) and the author stressed that in that country at the time Marley was around he wasn't the obvious #1 star there and that there were a couple other folks on the scene that were his equals. One of those was Toots. He might not have the profile of Bob Marley internationally, but apparently in his home land he was nearly as big a star, at least during the 60s and 70s...
 
It is wonderful to see love for Toots and reggae on Audiokarma. I feel fortunate to have seen him once. Awesome show with a lot of feeling and soul!
 
Saw Toots and the Maytals once, in a restored Seattle theater, usually a good venue. His sound men were set up behind the stage, of all places. Favorite songs were unintelligible as a consequence. Toots looked bewildered, wondering why he couldn't get a response from what should have been an enthusiastic Seattle crowd. I felt sorry for him that night. And now another Covid victim.

RIP, Toots. :(
 
Last edited:
Incredible and authentic cover of John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads

Rest in Power...
Hello BassKulcha thanks for posting that Toots & The Maytals cover of Take Me Home Country Roads. I just jacked my IPad into my stereo and cranked it up. Very enjoyable! Only saw Toots once, but loved the show.
 
I stumbled on Toots & Maytals just a few years ago. I couldn't believe that for what ever reason, I had never
heard their music. Anywho, fell in love with it.
Fantastic Artist.
RIP.
 
Back
Top Bottom